PDA

View Full Version : laser cutting shrinky dink plastic?

Nadia Zois
01-28-2009, 5:41 PM
i wanted to try laser cutting those shrinky dink shrink plastic things that they sell at the craft store.

i know you can bake them , so they can withstand heat but i am not sure if they are safe to laser cut? any ideas?

Mike Null
01-28-2009, 7:26 PM
Nadia

I am not familiar with shrinky dink plastic things. Is that a technical term?;)

Do you have a picture?

Dee Gallo
01-28-2009, 8:14 PM
Nadia,

Don't you think the edges would shrink with the heat and just make a humped up shape in the middle?

Mike - Shrinky Dink is a brand name for a thin plastic sheet you draw on with markers, cut out with scissors and then bake. The result is a mini version of your drawing, slightly thicker and denser color on a hardened plastic.

Scott Shepherd
01-28-2009, 8:16 PM
Mike, it is a plastic item that's cut into a shape and then you paint it all up (or color it somehow), while it's full size. Then you put them in the oven on a cookie sheet, heat them and they shrink a great deal, retaining their original shapes and all the coloring you did on them.

I don't recall how you color it. I tried them about 30 years ago ;) Honest ;) I'm sure they have changed since then, but not sure how. Haven't seen them since I was a kid.

Dang it, she beat me too it!

Dan Hintz
01-28-2009, 8:54 PM
If you don't have any on hand to play with (and don't want to make a special purchase), pick up a salad at your local fast food joint... the clear plastic cartons are made of the same material as Shrinky Dinks (non-extruded polystyrene). Look for the number '6' inside of the tri-arrow recycling symbol embossed into the plastic to make sure it's the correct type. Plenty of posts here about good settings for polystyrene.

For coloring, use permanent markers.

Mike Null
01-29-2009, 8:35 AM
Well, I guess it's obvious that I don't get out much. :o

Dave Johnson29
01-29-2009, 9:05 AM
Well, I guess it's obvious that I don't get out much.

:D I'm with you Mike, I did not know what it was but figured I'd sit back and let someone else ask.

Scott: 30 years back? Did we have plastics then? :):)

Scott Shepherd
01-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Scott: 30 years back? Did we have plastics then? :):)

Sure we did Dave, it's what the handle on your walker was made from :D

Oh, that was wrong. Sorry about that Dave, I know you're not THAT old ;)