PDA

View Full Version : TS choices....

Dave Clermont
01-28-2009, 5:01 PM
Hi everyone! New to the forum and pretty new to woodworking, I'm in the market for a new TS. I started out with a budget of around 600 but it looks like I maybe increasing it to get a better saw, possibly to 1000.

Currently I do a lot of small projects but am looking to get into it a lot more as I'm enjoying my new found hobby. So I want to purchase a saw that will be around for a good long while, I don't want to be in the position of having to replace it within a few years. My shop is in the basement and it's pretty empty at the moment, as far as power goes I limited to 120V so I'm thinking a contractor saw or a hybrid.

I have done some research and talked to my local shop and they have some pretty good deals. they have a Powermatic 64A display model for around 620.00 - it has everything and is an excellent shape. I have also looked into the new Ridgid R4511 and the 3660, also the Delta 36-980 and the Delta 36-715. The Ridgid r4511 is not yet available at my local HD's and the 3660 has not yet gone on sale. The delta 36-980 I can get for right around 600 and the 715 for about 900. I'm kind of all over the place with my options... Is it worth spending the 1000 or the delta hybrid or is the Powermatic one of those to good of a deal to pass up, or should I be looking at something else?

FYI - I do try to buy most of my stuff locally if I can - obviously if they are way out of whack on the price I will look elsewhere, but for the most part I like to stay with the local guys.

Any advice or comments are more than welcome :)

Thanks!
-Dave

Myk Rian
01-28-2009, 5:37 PM
I'll throw this one into the mix. I love mine. 5 year warranty. Steel City 35670
For some reason, Highland woodworking keeps hijacking any link I put in.
http://www.dynamitetoolco.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=STL-35670&click=123

(http://www.highlandwoodworking.com/browseproducts/Steel-City-10--3-HP-Cabinet-Saw-with-30--Fence--model-35675.HTML)

glenn bradley
01-28-2009, 5:41 PM
I would go with the hybrid vs. a contractor. The hybrid takes up less room and has better dust collection. The Steel City Myk is showing is a great deal but your power restrictions will prevent it. Steel City also makes a 1-3/4" HP 110v machine. I have the Craftsman version which comes with a Lietz blade and a Biesemeyer fence. The rpice at the time I got it was such that if you priced the fence, motor and the blade, you almost got the saw for free ;-)

The SCTW comes with possibly the same blade and their Bies clone which some folks say is "better-than-Bies". The Craftsman 22124 sold so well that Sears has gotten a little silly on the price and the SCTW has a longer warranty but you will probably pay shipping . . . . decisions, decisions.

Dave Clermont
01-28-2009, 5:45 PM
Myk - thanks for the link but the SC requires 220 I'm limited to 120V at the moment.

Myk Rian
01-28-2009, 6:07 PM
You must have read my post while I was editing it.
It's a 120 volt 1.75 hp
The first project I built with it is my avatar.

Josh Mountain
01-28-2009, 6:34 PM
+1 for Craftsman 22124 (oh, the TS snobs will carry on!) 450 pounds of love, Bies fence all with a 1 3/4" HP 15A motor (120V).

Presently around $1000. . . I got mine for around $850 on some sale.

Acts very much like a typical 3hp cabinet saw with base mounted trunnions, etc.), lots of cast iron, etc. Do a google search and you can read hundreds of reviews.

Great support, was missing some parts and somebody who knew table saws in tennesee got them right out to me and followed up. Good luck

Myk Rian
01-28-2009, 6:50 PM
+1 for Craftsman 22124 (oh, the TS snobs will carry on!) 450 pounds of love, Bies fence all with a 1 3/4" HP 15A motor (120V).
I considered the Cman saw. The 5 year warranty on the SC clinched the deal. SC makes the Cman.

Paul Mathers
01-28-2009, 7:04 PM
I have the SC #35600 dual voltage so you can go 110 1.75 hp for know and upgrade to 220 2.25 later if you want

scott spencer
01-28-2009, 7:15 PM
I'd definitely go with one of the hybrids if you find one you like at a price that makes sense. A TS3660 would be a good buy at $400, but the hybrids still offer several advantages and no mechanical disadvantages relative to a contractor saw. The Steel City models, Craftsman 22124, Jet Proshop, Grizzly G0661, G0478, Shop Fox 1748, GI, Ridgid, and Woodtek are all solid bets IMO. As nice as the PM64a is, it still has the same drawbacks as most traditional contractor saws with the motor out the back. It'll take up extra space, has poor DC, longer belt, the motor is a lifting hazard when titled...especially if the motor catches something, , and has more potential for alignment issues.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Josh Mountain
01-28-2009, 7:20 PM
I considered the Cman saw. The 5 year warranty on the SC clinched the deal. SC makes the Cman.

Yeah, I hear it's the same saw. Same motor. Both dual voltage.

Dave Clermont
01-28-2009, 7:38 PM
Was just on Grizzly's site and they do seem to offer a lot of saw for the money.hmmm

Don Morris
01-28-2009, 8:01 PM
I had a contractor saw for several years before getting a cabinet saw. You can do good work with a contractor saw. Adjusting/calibrating it was not always easy. Luckily I had 220v available so I was able to get the very low cost but dependable Grizzly 1023SL. If I didn't have the 220v available, though, there is no question that in the price range you're talking about, one of the hybrids should be your machines of choice for several reasons: dust collection, ease of alignment/calibration, space utilization. Unless there's a significant cost differential, and you just absolutley can't swing it...to me it just technically doesn't make sense to settle for a contractor saw when a decent hybrid is in the mix.

Dave Clermont
01-28-2009, 8:06 PM
A quick update my budget kind of got squished after a conversation with my wife it looks like around 750 is going to be the max...

Shipped the Grizzly will run about 960.00 very good deal just out of my price range atm... If I could find the craftsman on sale for 800 I think I could stretch it a little, lol.

Tony Bilello
01-28-2009, 8:08 PM
"Is it worth spending the 1000 or the delta hybrid.?"

The answer is YES !!!

As for the manufacturer, Delta or Powermatic would be my first choice.
Some manufacturers would not even be on my list.

A table saw will be the most important tool you can own if you want to build furniture. If you cant make a straight cut, you are dead before you start. With a good table saw and a good blade, you will not need a joiner.
I build fine furniture and do not own a joiner nor is one on my wish list.

If you have to, get 220V power installed in your shop.

Dave Clermont
02-01-2009, 10:30 PM
Well I got my new saw yesterday I ended up going with the Delta Hybrid 30-717B with the Bies fence. Not sure what happen I went in their with my mind set on the PM and ended up with that... LOL. Hopefully I will be setting it up soon. I will post some pics when I do.

Thanks again everyoen for the excellent advice!

Richard Magbanua
02-01-2009, 11:01 PM
I just went to the woodworking show today in Indy and I saw the new Rigid Hybrid saw. I'm very impressed. I think it should be around $600. It has a Beis' style fence except it's a lot lighter. Seems solid though and has holes for you to add your own fence sides if you wish. It still has the mobile base like the other contractor style 3660. The thing that got my attention though is the it comes standard with a GRANITE top!!! I asked how much extra the granite was but the guy told me it was standard.
I have a Craftsman Professional hybrid and am very happy with it. But 2 things are a PITA. Moving it if I have to, and cleaning the rust off (pole barn) during the wet seasons. I would check this new Rigid saw out if I were you.

Thad Nickoley
02-01-2009, 11:10 PM
Good choice Dave, I have been following this thread and a few others (never a TS thread shortage), even had one of my own out there.
Any way I am going to pick mine up tomorrow, also the 30-717. Its a floor model and they are seelig it for $895. They are going to give me some off because I dont want the Bessie fence, I will outfit with the Incra TS system.

Dave Clermont
02-01-2009, 11:20 PM
Thanks hopefully I will have it setup within the next week or so. I had a nice meeting with an ice patch while I was uncrating my new saw....The ice won... Today I opened some of the boxes and was pleasntly surprised to see the deluxe miter gauge instead of the regular one. The dealer had told me that they were shipping with the standard miter gauge - just something to be on the lookout for.