PDA

View Full Version : Link belt problem

Dale Benner
01-28-2009, 4:59 PM
I have a link belt installed on a jet contractor saw for several years,when changing blades the blade stays stationary and entire arbor turns,tension on belt is weight of motor.I have removed belt several times and cleaned sides of belt with denatured alcohol It seems to me that the belt doesn't ride far enough into pulleys,only about 3/16 inch of center of belt sides are black from contact with pulleys.This is a 1/2 inch belt.Do I need to replace it with a 3/8 inch belt? Advice needed , Thanks for your help

Ken Milhinch
01-28-2009, 5:27 PM
What size V belt does this saw normally use ? That tells you what size link belt to use. As for the arbor turning and the blade stationary, I don't understand what you are saying there.

glenn bradley
01-28-2009, 5:37 PM
What I'm hearing is that this is an arbor that does not support a two wrench approach. This is common on contractor saws. I assume he is blocking the blade from turning but when wrenching the nut, the arbor is spinning as opposed to the nut loosening.

I doubt this is a belt problem as you should be able to loosen the nut even if the belt is off the pulleys. Two questions:

Do you have a washer between the nut and the blade?

How are you holding the blade still?

Lee Schierer
01-28-2009, 7:37 PM
When I change blades:

To put on a blade. I finger tighten the nut against the blade. I hold the blade between my thumb and fingers and tighten the nut with the wrench. When the blade starts to slip on my fingers the nut is tight.

To remove a blade. I use a piece of pine to pry against several teeth and the table top in line with the blade. I put the wrench on the nut and loosen the nut.

Since the nut is being tightened by the direction of rotation, it cannot loosen. I've never had trouble getting a blade off or having one come loose with this method. I've also never been cut holding the blade nor broken a tooth on a blade in 30+ years. I regularly change between my rip blade and cross cut blades. I have on occasions dropped the nut or the washer down into the sawdust collection pipe in the bottom of the saw.:D

Bill Huber
01-28-2009, 8:35 PM
I agree 100% with Glenn, this is not a belt problem, there is no way you could get the belt tighten enough to keep the motor form turning or the arbor turning unless the bearing were just shot.

I would look at cleaning the threads on the arbor and the nut.