PDA

View Full Version : I think I found the project....

Dan Mages
06-30-2004, 11:01 AM
I was looking around the web and I found this nice ice box at Rockler to make out of the old growth black walnut I have sitting in my basement. However, I am slightly concerned that the walnut may clash with my oak cabinets. Has anyone made this cabinet? Any ideas or thoughts?

http://www.rockler.com/rockler/images/98625.jpg

Thanks

Dan

Joe Piotrowski
07-01-2004, 10:25 AM
Hi,
I no expert furnature maker by anymeans and My tatse are eclectic so some of designs are a little "off". but if you have all oak furniature why not use the walnut to accent the piece.

you did not say what style cabenits you curently have as that mak prohibit some design concerns.

Some part of my brain like the contrating colors of things like cherry and maple, the other part like colors from the same range.

I have been trying to make some prototypes with design elements like a drawer that has an red oak face but trinmed with 1/8th to 1/4 of black walnut.

I also want to experiment with cherry and walnut.

the only probelm is, a single drawer looks ok, but I have no idea how a whole dresser will look. I think if you use red oak insted of QS White oak it may work.

you have to be careful when trying to tie a piece to existing furniture is that this may out live the time where you are and not fit in with new dwellings.

I am fan of the arts and crafts styles as was stuck by a quote from Write. He felt his furniture was lacking the ablitly to stand alone. He crafted furniture to fit dwellings excatly. his work is outstanding in an archietural way but do not blend well in other settings.

I don't know if that helps at all but I could ramble on forever so I will stop there.

good luck with that project.

Nathan Hoffman
07-02-2004, 9:08 AM
That style of furniture probably looks "right" in oak because that is the way it is most often seen, but I think it would be neat in walnut. The only thing I would wonder is the hardware has a more counrty look, and a lot of walnut pieces are more elegant. That being said, there's only one way to find out, and if you don;t like the finished project, feel free to send it my way!

Bill Sampson
07-02-2004, 10:59 AM
Dan.
Is it appropriate to mix different woods? Yes.
I built a box very similar to this some time ago using oak. Even though oak is most used for these pieces, I would have used walnut if it was available at the time. The doors and side panels are raised and the hinges and handles are all solid brass. (Don't attempt to save money by purchasing inexpensive brass hardware.)
My plans are old, but historically correct for this piece.
If I still have them in my plan files, you are welcome to them. Let me know.
Bill Sampson, Richmond

Dan Mages
07-02-2004, 11:38 AM
Dan.
Is it appropriate to mix different woods? Yes.
I built a box very similar to this some time ago using oak. Even though oak is most used for these pieces, I would have used walnut if it was available at the time. The doors and side panels are raised and the hinges and handles are all solid brass. (Don't attempt to save money by purchasing inexpensive brass hardware.)
My plans are old, but historically correct for this piece.
If I still have them in my plan files, you are welcome to them. Let me know.
Bill Sampson, Richmond
I sent you a PM. Thank you!