PDA

View Full Version : Dust collector location

Greg Snyder
01-28-2009, 4:17 PM
I am going to start to put together my DC setup using a 2hp HF DC. My shop layout is T shaped with machines running down a long wall (40') and my table saw near the center about 10' away from the wall. So I figure I have 2 choices for the location of the DC, one being all the way at the end of the long wall with a max run of up to 40' or near the center with 2-20' runs left and right and one up and over to the TS. I figure the noise would be worse at the center, but if it works better I could live with it. I just want to see if the shorter runs would make that much of a difference. I plan on using 6" for the main trunks and only step it down to 4" or 5" where I have to. I appreciate any help.

Mike Wilkins
01-28-2009, 5:06 PM
The shorter the run the better for effecient dust pick-up. Dust collectore start to lose their suction at the end of a long run, so a central location would likely be best. Make sure to use blast gates at the machinery and close off any that are not in use. Be sure to tape or seal all joints with HVAC tape or caulk. It might not be a bad idea to look for a way to enclose the main unit for noise control.
Good luck and watch those fingers.

glenn bradley
01-28-2009, 5:40 PM
+1. Shorter is better.

Pete Hay
01-28-2009, 8:17 PM
I am going to start to put together my DC setup using a 2hp HF DC. My shop layout is T shaped with machines running down a long wall (40') and my table saw near the center about 10' away from the wall. So I figure I have 2 choices for the location of the DC, one being all the way at the end of the long wall with a max run of up to 40' or near the center with 2-20' runs left and right and one up and over to the TS. I figure the noise would be worse at the center, but if it works better I could live with it. I just want to see if the shorter runs would make that much of a difference. I plan on using 6" for the main trunks and only step it down to 4" or 5" where I have to. I appreciate any help.

Any way to get the DC outside?

Ed Calkins
01-28-2009, 9:04 PM
Greg, I have been reading about DC also as I have to make a decision and install something real soon. A couple of comments, I read somewhere that a downside to locating the DC outside even if you could (I realize you were not considering that initially) is that it sucks huge amounts of heated or cooled air from your building which will be displaced by either hot or cold air from outside. Prior to that info I was going to consider putting it outside for both noise and the micro dust that comes thru the bag or cannister. Also, you mentioned going up and over to your TS -- a question for the experts: everyone says shorter is better, in my case I could have a 10' run to one machine if I lay the hose on the floor --- to go up and over will be almost 30' --- is that too long a run for a good 1 1/2 HP DC? Ed

Sonny Edmonds
01-28-2009, 10:14 PM
Centralize it as much as you can.
Try and put your biggest debris producers the closest to the main unit. (Planer, Joiner, Router Table. Your lighter material makers, TS, sanding, fume makers, further away.)
Consider a dirty air booster blower to really kick up the suction.
Keep your pipes long, and your hose short. :) (hose kills DC performance!!!!)

Joe Cowan
01-29-2009, 7:42 AM
Centralize it as much as you can.
Try and put your biggest debris producers the closest to the main unit. (Planer, Joiner, Router Table. Your lighter material makers, TS, sanding, fume makers, further away.)
Consider a dirty air booster blower to really kick up the suction.
Keep your pipes long, and your hose short. :) (hose kills DC performance!!!!)

What is a dirty air booster?

Sonny Edmonds
01-29-2009, 9:28 AM
This was one of mine.
It's a blower inline with the main dust collector located out a ways. the debris being picked up gets boosted by the dirty air booster blower which kicks it along the pipe.
Essentially making any dust collection system a two stage system. ;)

http://home.earthlink.net/~pie/dust_collection/boosterblower2.jpg (http://home.earthlink.net/%7Epie/dust_collection/boosterblower2.jpg)

Greg Snyder
01-29-2009, 10:12 AM
I have thought about enclosing it for noise and may do that, however I do wear hearing protection and the noise doesnt bother me that much. I also built a remote control switch for it, so I can turn it on/off when I finish a machine operation. As for connecting the different runs I thought about making 1 main trunk from the DC and tying in the runs like branches. Does that sound good? Also for the run up and over to the table saw my plan is to make it into a secondary trunk with ports I can connect to for my router or any other tools because my main bench is also the outfeed for my TS, is there anything special I should consider? Thanks

Joel Earl
01-29-2009, 3:25 PM
Centralize as much as possible.

You are really taking the HF to limits I'm not sure can be attained. I had one for years and I could handle about 22' of 6" in total and that included the drop footage. Ends had 3-4' of 4" hose at most and that was close to the DC. The farthest run was getting real weak for much of anything - I moved my worst messmaker towards the front just to get collection to work fairly decent on it.

My experience would say be as central as possible, as little hose as possible, blast gates and of course a single tool and then still shorten everything up where you can.
HF is a nice little DC but it cannot be taxed to much either or you'll scream in frustration