PDA

View Full Version : Cheap source for cast iron wings?

Damion Bevacqua
01-28-2009, 2:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on finding a source for a good price on a cast iron wing for my table saw.

I've searched the forum a few times now but I haven't been able to find much info. There does seem to be something promising about sourcing a wing from harbor freight, but I haven't heard the specifics on how that is done (it's not listed on the website, I think you have to order a replacement part for a saw).

I've also watched ebay and craigslist, but haven't found much.

In case anyone is wondering, I have a weird prototype steel city saw - it's basically the Craftsman 22104 (the one without the full cabinet and without the cast iron wings), but it's green and red and doesn't have any logos. I guess it was going to be sold through Amazon or something, I bought it for $250 (!) when Steel City closed their Pittsburgh location. It was brand new and was apparently assembled in Nov. 2007... anyway, i want to replace the stamped wings with cast iron, but so far the cheapest source I've found is Sears (oddly enough) for $79.99 each.

- Damion

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-28-2009, 2:26 PM
from what little I've looked at for CI wings, I'd be surprised if you find them any cheaper. keep your eyes on CL.

Dewey Torres
01-28-2009, 2:32 PM
How cheap are you trying to get? $79 sounds like about as low as your are going to find new. The cheapest is the cheapest for a reason. You would rather stay with your stamped wings than to settle for POC steel ones.

Bill Huber
01-28-2009, 2:33 PM
What I did with my Jet was to find a 27 inch deep saw on CL that the motor was bad, gave the guy $50 and the wings fit with no drilling. Now I do have and old Craftsman TS with a bad motor that I have to take to the dump.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100610&highlight=extension

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100725&highlight=extension

David G Baker
01-28-2009, 4:29 PM
I have an old Craftsman table saw that came with only one cast iron wing. I purchased the second wing from Craftsman around 20 years ago for $79. I suspect that you may want to get your wings like Bill did or buy them from Craftsman because how much longer are the companies that manufacture the wings going to be in business.

Lee Schierer
01-28-2009, 4:31 PM
I'm not sure you can use cheap and cast iron in the same sentence. The process is costly as is the machining and material. A cheap cast iron extension might be poor quality as well.

Dewey Torres
01-28-2009, 5:17 PM
I'm not sure you can use cheap and cast iron in the same sentence. The process is costly as is the machining and material. A cheap cast iron extension might be poor quality as well.

Lee,
My point exactly!

Damion Bevacqua
01-28-2009, 6:30 PM
What I did with my Jet was to find a 27 inch deep saw on CL that the motor was bad, gave the guy $50 and the wings fit with no drilling. Now I do have and old Craftsman TS with a bad motor that I have to take to the dump.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100610&highlight=extension

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100725&highlight=extension

Bill - excellent idea!

How cheap are you trying to get? $79 sounds like about as low as your are going to find new. The cheapest is the cheapest for a reason. You would rather stay with your stamped wings than to settle for POC steel ones.

There's no such thing as too cheap (as in too good of a price - quality notwithstanding). I'm just trying to get a handle on what these things typically sell for. After all, Sears has them for $79, and that's apparently their regular, non-sale price. Absent the occasional blow-out sale, I don't typically find that Sears has the best prices.

As far as low price = low quality, I try not to make too many assumptions. After all, there are quite a few people out there who are very happy with the $80 table saw fence they bought at Lowes. ;)

- Damion

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-28-2009, 9:23 PM
Duh - I posted a thread on something like this the other day and totally didn't connect the dots.....asking if anyone made a 'Frankentable' by using the CI table from a defunct saw as an extension table (otherwise known as a 'wing') for their existing saw.

Chip Lindley
01-29-2009, 3:29 AM
Pass on the *grid-type* wings with openings! They are *finger-getters*!! Hold out for solid cast iron wings. What will fit your prototype saw narrows your choices. If your saw top is 27" deep that really helps! Then the hole spacing must line up. Aside from used on CL or ebay, Grizzly might be a source for a new pair of wings as replacement parts. An email to their service dept will let you know in short order.

Jason White
01-29-2009, 5:52 AM
Grizzly is a great idea. At least you'll know it's of decent quality.

You could also get a wing with a router table built-in like those from Bench Dog or Quality Grinding.

JW

Pass on the *grid-type* wings with openings! They are *finger-getters*!! Hold out for solid cast iron wings. What will fit your prototype saw narrows your choices. If your saw top is 27" deep that really helps! Then the hole spacing must line up. Aside from used on CL or ebay, Grizzly might be a source for a new pair of wings as replacement parts. An email to their service dept will let you know in short order.

Damion Bevacqua
01-30-2009, 5:12 PM

Grizzly is another good suggestion. Thanks, everyone.

Besides - I'm not that far from Grizzly's Muncy location - I've been meaning to take a trip out there to check things out (although I don't think they have parts at that location).

- Damion

Ryan Eldridge
01-30-2009, 5:38 PM
I have been wondering Damion could you get an old table saw top that is the same depth and add it to your current saw as an extension wing? Here in Boise there have been a lot of $70 and less saws advertised on craigslist maybe you could get the saw, use the top and then you might have a small motor for another project?

Anyone ever do this?

David G Baker
01-30-2009, 6:18 PM
Chip,
I have the grid type wings on my Craftsman and have never had any finger issues with it, never even thought about it. At the time I purchased the second wing I didn't know that there was any other option other than the tin wing and I did not want that.