PDA

View Full Version : Segmented critique requested

Harvey Crouch
01-28-2009, 1:14 PM
The bowl is 8.5" W & 8" H. There are 584 pieces of mesquite and maple. I named it "Southwest; roadrunners, crooked roads & barbed wire" I made the roadrunner segments double wide to preserve design integrity. This resulted in an odd shape on glueup however it easily turned to a circle. Do you think it would look better in more contrasting wood, holly and bloodwood for example, or does the muted contrast of maple and mesquite add to the Southwestern feel?

David Christopher
01-28-2009, 1:20 PM
Harvy, no critiqueing here I think it is a beautiful piece, the colors are smooth and easy to look at. the colors blend perfect, theres plenty out there allready with contrast

Mark Hubl
01-28-2009, 1:23 PM
That is a beautiful piece. I like the contrast of the two woods. It is sublte, yet still delivers on the craftmanship. Very nice.

John Beaver
01-28-2009, 1:49 PM
I think the subtle wood choices really work. Makes it different, and forces one to really look at it. I love the barbed wire. Very nice work.

Mike Golka
01-28-2009, 2:25 PM
Definately enough contrast to see the design. Well done!

Ron Drew
01-28-2009, 2:32 PM
I think It's perfect the way it is. The form is true to Southwest design, and colors contrast just enough. Very nice work.

Dewey Torres
01-28-2009, 2:42 PM
The contrast makes it appear somewhat aged the way you did it so that makes it cool:cool:

Ken Higginbotham
01-28-2009, 2:46 PM
I have no idea what all is involved in creating something like that but it looks like a pc of art work that would be on display in a museum.

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-28-2009, 3:10 PM
Hey Harvey, good to see some more of your work. I think your wood choices are fine - love the designs. If you haven't done so already, you should enter this into the AAW "Spirit of the SouthWest" show. You've still got time, but the deadline is right around the corner.

Steve Schlumpf
01-28-2009, 3:34 PM
Harvey - very nice design! Love the form! I like the subdued colors - gives it a softer, more real look. You should take Malcolm's suggestion and enter this in the "Spirit of the Southwest" show. Seriously - very nice work on this!

Richard Madison
01-28-2009, 3:45 PM
Very cool piece Harvey. Smooth curvature all around and the shape definitely reminds one of native American pottery. The contrast between woods is about perfect for the piece, although it would be interesting to see just the roadrunner with a little more contrast (but maybe not bloodwood), and all the rest exactly as it is. Very nice work.

Horst Hohoff
01-28-2009, 4:04 PM
Brilliant piece of work, Harvey! Congratulations

Aaron Wingert
01-28-2009, 4:26 PM
I wish I could even begin to understand how much goes into gluing that up. I'd need a sedative to calm my nerves while turning something that I'd invested that much time in. Beautiful work!

Judy Kingery
01-28-2009, 4:30 PM
Harvey, ditto here - wood selection (isn't Mesquite FUN to turn!!!!) is perfect, subtle contrast and your roadrunner is magnificent on there. I do very simple glue-ups and you guys who do this intricate stuff just amaze me! Outstanding! Jude

Jim Becker
01-28-2009, 4:30 PM
That's a beautiful piece and yes, the southwestern pottery feel is there. Very nice choices on the species you used, to.

The only "critique" I have is that I believe this form would likely have a smaller opening/rim proportionally based on what I've seen previously, both live and in a book I have on the subject. The top 1/3 would be a little flatter and then flare up to the "spout". But that's a small matter and I do like the piece as-is, too.

Brian Brown
01-28-2009, 5:13 PM
Very nice piece. and I think the contrast in wood choices is just fine. Somtimes it's better to let the viewer work just a bit to see it than it is to hit him on the head with a 2 X 4.

Larry Edgerton
01-28-2009, 7:17 PM
If you want to be heard, whisper.....

I love it, and I would be proud to call it my own.....

Heres my address....:)

Paul Douglass
01-28-2009, 7:27 PM
My critique is WOW, O, WOW!

Harvey Crouch
01-28-2009, 7:38 PM
I was worried about the lack of contrast between species. Based on your comments, I plan to submit to the AAW show. Thank all of you for your thoughts.

Don Carter
01-28-2009, 7:40 PM
Go for it, Harvey. That is just beautiful!

All the best.

Don

charlie knighton
01-28-2009, 8:04 PM
Harvey, i have looked at it 3 times, it's very nice, enjoy Albuquerque :D

Jim Glock
01-28-2009, 9:15 PM
BRAVO! That is one of the more sensational segmented works I've seen! Excellent all the way. Congrats on your incredible work!!! jg

alex carey
01-28-2009, 10:09 PM
I could go either way. I see why your asking the question. It looks good as is but a darker contrast might make the design shine more.

Jim Kountz
01-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Very nice piece and I love the form. I think you did a band up job!!

Bernie Weishapl
01-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Beautiful Harvey. Nothing to critique on that one.

Gary Kvasnicka
01-28-2009, 10:41 PM
I really like the choice of woods, excellent work!

Ryan Baker
01-28-2009, 10:59 PM
Great piece! I really like the design and the wood choices. The contrast is fine the way it is. I actually prefer it this way to a higher contrast selection -- it fits this pattern better.

Jim Swift
01-28-2009, 11:14 PM
Excellent presentation. All my segmented work has been a little more contrast. You have given me the inspiration to attempt a not so contrasting piece. Great job. I really like it.

Jim Swift
a very amateur segmenter

Gilbert Vega
01-30-2009, 1:19 AM
Harvey, that segmented piece is absolutely beautiful.

Gilbert

Montgomery Scott
01-30-2009, 9:50 AM
My first reaction was that it needs a little more contrast. Not something as contrasting as ebony, though I like to use ebony, but maybe Amazonian rosewood or cocobolo. I also feel the foot is a little heavy.

The roadrunner is great, though and the barbed wire is quite novel.

Steve Mawson
01-30-2009, 10:17 AM
Looks great as is although I am trying to imagine it in the woods you describe. I believe either would be great. Whenever you do a tutorial on construction and turning I want to be the first in line to see it.