PDA

View Full Version : Quality Grinding Gloat!!!

Matt Benton
01-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Right around the time that Keith S. was winning the first QG extension freestuff, I was trying to figure out what to do with my Prolift and PC7518. Having sold my tablesaw, an extension was out of the question. I gave Chris Brown a call and this is what we came up with. The main table is 24"X24" with 12" extensions on each side. It is dead-flat and the extensions line up perfectly, as does the miter slot.

I know it's been said before, but working with Chris and QG could not have been better. He returns messages quickly and shipping was faster than I was expecting. The table arrived in perfect condition.

If you're thinking about a new RT, either stand-alone or extension, you'll be hard pressed to do better....

Jim Becker
01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Very nice!! Congrats.

David Christopher
01-28-2009, 12:07 PM
WOW, that is one nice looking top

Roger Myers
01-28-2009, 12:10 PM
Sweet!.. As that lucky free-stuff winner, I too will vouch for Chris and Quality Grinding!
Roger

Ted Calver
01-28-2009, 12:23 PM
WOW, Is that beautiful!! Can you give us a ball park on what that cost??

Chris Padilla
01-28-2009, 12:37 PM
Very sweet!! Yeah, how much did this set you back?? :)

Rob Parsons
01-28-2009, 12:51 PM
Looks like a great setup. I want one!

JohnT Fitzgerald
01-28-2009, 1:17 PM
wow, I had to look at the picture closely to see where the 'main table' and 'wings' met. looks like a quality top!

how much does that weigh??

Mark Carlson
01-28-2009, 1:18 PM
Awesome.

I'm very happy with my 24x28in QG extension for my tablesaw. Do I see a couple of holes in the back? Is this for mounting a fence?

~mark

glenn bradley
01-28-2009, 1:24 PM
WOW, Is that beautiful!! Can you give us a ball park on what that cost??

Yeah.

how much does that weigh??

Yeah.

Is this for mounting a fence?

Yeah.

Matt Benton
01-28-2009, 1:46 PM
Thanks for all the responses, guys.

I think it weighes around 130#, give or take a few.

I had him drill and tap 2 5/16 holes in the back to mount a fence. I have yet to see a RT fence sold by anyone that I like (the exception being Pat Warner's, but that's a little more than I need), so I'll build a basic one from melamine-coated mdf. I also had him move the opening for the lift towards the back of the table, so I could have a little more room for larger workpieces...

Chris W Brown
01-28-2009, 3:42 PM
Matt your stand alone table top turn out very nice and hope you enjoy it. If your like me I enjoy new tools and can't wait to start using them, or what I call "making chips". Again we appreciate your business!!

Thanks,
Chris

Bob Magnuson
01-28-2009, 4:41 PM
Matt, how is this top attached to the base?

Matt Benton
01-28-2009, 5:29 PM
Bob,

If you look at the third pic, you will see 2 of the 4 1/2" threaded holes for mounting, however mine is just sitting on the cabinet currently. It is quite stable as is, although I'm sure I'll secure it before it sees much use...

Grant Vanbokklen
01-28-2009, 7:33 PM
That looks great. Can you post a picture of the fence setup?

Don Morris
01-28-2009, 8:09 PM
I've always made my own. Think I can convince LOML to allow a second XMAS? I do believe that's flatter than mine. Actually, I'm just going to say that's too shiny for me, I'll feel better about it.

Rod Sheridan
01-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Matt, that's very nice indeed, sort of a router mounted in a shaper table.

Actually that's an idea for the fence, pick up a usee shaper fence and drill and tap the table.

Regards, Rod.

Matt Benton
01-29-2009, 12:28 PM
Rod,

I had QG drill and tap 2 5/16" holes in the top to attach a fence.

What would be the benefit of a shaper fence over a shopbuilt mdf fence? I know shapers have split fence faces, but was wondering what other benefits there were? The one's I've seen seem to be a little short, IIRC...

Thanks!

Chris Padilla
01-29-2009, 12:31 PM
Are you going to have a "pivot fence" or something like the Incra (my personal fav) fence?

Matt Benton
01-29-2009, 12:58 PM
I've made a couple in the past, and they're basically an "L" shaped fence with 2 grooves routed in the base where the mounting screws are. They simply slide forward and back and lock down with adjustable handle knobs. I have a jointer, and am not sure what the other benefits of split fences are...

The problem I'm struggling with is dust collection. I have a 6" inlet, and am thinking about going with 2 4" pickups, one underneath and one on the fence.

Incorporating the 4" port into the fence is proving to be difficult...

Rod Sheridan
01-29-2009, 2:18 PM
Rod,

I had QG drill and tap 2 5/16" holes in the top to attach a fence.

What would be the benefit of a shaper fence over a shopbuilt mdf fence? I know shapers have split fence faces, but was wondering what other benefits there were? The one's I've seen seem to be a little short, IIRC...

Thanks!

Well, I guess the fact that they usually have micrometer adjustment capabilities, the ability to accept a 4 or 5 inch dust collection hose, and they're strong enough to be used with a feeder.

Oh, and the big cast iron shroud is strong enough to contain a wayward cutter should it ever happen.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. All you need to add is a hole for a starting pin for freeform work.

Keith Starosta
01-29-2009, 2:21 PM
Yeah, Buddy!!! That is beautiful!

I absolutely LOVE mine!

- Keith

Ron Bontz
01-29-2009, 6:31 PM
Very nice. I am hoping for a 36 x 27 but just don't have the bucks right now. Congrats. I am just wondering why no one has incorporated a RT set up in a shaper ext. Best of both worlds. :)