PDA

View Full Version : This looks really unsafe to me

Larry Fox
01-28-2009, 9:19 AM
I saw this pic in a local CL add. Unless this thing is really secured to the floor well (can't tell from the pic) this might take the prize for me in the unsafe category.

John Hedges
01-28-2009, 9:47 AM
What do you mean..... Cant you see that's the ORIGINAL Unisaw. So named because it only has one leg:D

Anthony Whitesell
01-28-2009, 9:57 AM
Craftsman made that type of design about 50 years ago.

I actually have this saw but not on that stand, so I can't speak to stability.

Tom Majewski
01-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Hey Larry,
I saw that last night. You're searching the same CL as I am.

I keep looking for that proverbial used Unisaw for $450 that everyone claims is out there. Haven't found it for a year.

Tom

Alex Shanku
01-28-2009, 10:39 AM
Really,

I seem to happen upon TOO much good old iron. I cant afford to buy anything right now, as I am maxed out with tools and space.

Tom Majewski
01-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi Alex,
I browse 4 CL's all withing the SE PA area.
I've been seeing rust buckets all over...stuff that belongs in the landfill.
I've seen a few good Uni's PM, Grizzly's, but no real deals, probably 10-15% below new prices.

Now I'm only looking at table saws now... I HAVE seen lot's of other good stuff- shapers, morticers, routers.. And some big tonnage 3phase planers- overkill for my needs.

Chris Padilla
01-28-2009, 12:28 PM
That picture is strange. What is around it on the floor?

Tom Majewski
01-28-2009, 1:03 PM
Looks like he forgot to shut the shed door before the snow came.

I'd hate to think it's mold.

Corey Wilcox
01-28-2009, 1:07 PM
I think you're looking at a white-washed rubble foundation in the background. I can't figure out what the benefit behind the design would be. How did they convince people this was an "advancement" in tool technology?

Gene Howe
01-28-2009, 2:27 PM
I think you're looking at a white-washed rubble foundation in the background. I can't figure out what the benefit behind the design would be. How did they convince people this was an "advancement" in tool technology?

I think it was that round, toothed gadget that stuck up out of the table.:D

Larry Fox
01-28-2009, 3:21 PM
Hey Larry,
I saw that last night. You're searching the same CL as I am.

Many people are unfortunately. If you see something you have to be ready to jump on it.

I keep looking for that proverbial used Unisaw for $450 that everyone claims is out there. Haven't found it for a year.

Tom

Tom, I think that 99.995% of what we see on our local CL is absolute overpriced garbage. However, every once in a while something pops up there that is worth looking at. An interesting nugget also pops up on ocassion in the Materials section. Happy hunting.

Anthony Whitesell
01-28-2009, 3:39 PM
Looks like cabinets hung on the studs of an insulated but not sheetrocked wall.