PDA

View Full Version : turning tools

tody Brock
01-28-2009, 8:33 AM
I just bought a Jet 1014 mini lathe. What tools would you recommend I get to go along with it and how expensive do I need to go on chisels....Sorby, Harbor Freight. Help me out with some good advise.

David Christopher
01-28-2009, 9:04 AM
Tody, everybody here seems to lean toward the HF tools to start with until you get a good handle on sharpening and then move up from there. I bought a set of steelex and they seam to be sorby clones. do you have a sharpening system. if not I recomend to get one. ( sharp tools make turning easier ) ... most of all these guys here are a wealth of information are are glad to help allways

congrats on the new lathe and have fun

Dewey Torres
01-28-2009, 11:13 AM
Tody,
I just started turning and a lot of folks recommended the Penn State Industries Bingaman’s best set of 6 with one bowl gouge. Many of them said they still use them today even after buying more expensive ones. I think the set ran me 85 bucks.

And yes you will need to sharpen them... the sharpening is where you need to spend your $$$. The wolverine system is what most have but if you are low on cash you can build one. The vari-grind attachment you just need to buy. Watch the video on how to sharpen with it and your off to the races.

Bob Noles
01-28-2009, 1:48 PM
Tody,

In reality, a 3/8 spindle gouge and a parting tool will get you started and you could build from there, but you probably want to look cool with a "set" so I recommend the PSI Benjies Best or the HF like the rest of the crowd. A sharpening system will be a must. I will show you my set up when you come by Friday, that way you will have a first hand look at things.

Scott Conners
01-28-2009, 2:12 PM
The nicer HF set or the PSI Benjamin's Best set are both quite useable. The $80 BB set includes a bowl gouge and is probably the best value around for including all the major types of tools.

I highly recommend getting a sharpening jig, it will save you much frustration and let you concentrate on the turning aspect right off the bat.

robert hainstock
01-28-2009, 2:39 PM
I have the PSI grinding jig setup. I have also used Steve S. wolverine jig. both do the same job pretty much. The PSI jig cost is $124,95 for the complete 4 piece setup. Like I said, it works for me. Good luck! :)
Bob

Kyle Iwamoto
01-28-2009, 4:26 PM
I started buying this and that tool. If I had to start over, I could have saved quite a few bucks. I eventually picked up the HF set, and am quite impressed, by the quality/price deal. No they nowhere near as good as a Sorby or Lacer, but it WILL teach you 1 important thing. Most people I know "like" the skew, or "like" the gouge. The HF set will allow you to experiment with both the skew and gouge, and you can figure out what you want to be your primary tool. I know 2 turners, who don't even touch a skew. The HF set does not have a good bowl gouge. That should be your first "expensive" tool purchase, IMO.
Unless your only going to turn pens, do NOT buy a mini tool set. They can ONLY turn small pen sized stuff. You can't even turn a decent sized spindle with them. Well, I guess you can, but it takes a while.

Burt Alcantara
01-28-2009, 4:54 PM
For a good starter bowl gouge, the Pinnacle brand, sold by Woodcraft is good deal. I have the HF set and it served me well. Taught me how to make metal stumps. I've found that the metal is inconsistent (not that it really matters). The 1/2" skew can be sharpened so I could shave with it. The 1" won't cut hot butter. But, I did eventually learn how to sharpen - with a jig (Wolverine).

Woodcrafts' are having a sale on their slow speed grinder. I'd venture to say, go out and buy this right now. Buy a diamond dresser for the wheels. Strongly recommend the Wolverine mostly because it is employed by a majority of turners here(?) so you'll get excellent support.

Watch the OneWay video and check out YouTube for sharpening too regardless of what method you chose to start with.

Most importantly, have FUN!
Burt