PDA

View Full Version : Source for Viking Stove repair info?

dennis thompson
01-28-2009, 8:18 AM
I have a Viking stove (don't buy one they're awful) and the gas burners on top often do not light, the spark from the electric ignitors seems very weak.I've cleaned off the copper tops of the ignitors & it works better but I'd like to know how to replace the ignitors, (I expect it will come to that soon) does anyone know how to do this or can you direct me to a place where I could get a manual on how to do this?
Thanks
Dennis

Tom Godley
01-28-2009, 8:39 AM
I have a viking and a dcs and they both have the same problem -- someone told me that it was because the design came from professional stoves - and originally they did not have igniters. But my outdoor stove and grill both designed from the start for the igniters have the same problem.

You can buy parts online for Viking -- I have -- but do not have the information in front of me. Check the parts cost from Viking also - I have found that many times it was the same as others -- but get the correct part number because all the parts look alike.

Have you called the Viking technical support -- sometimes you get a really good technician and they can walk you through the fix. I have never had to actually replace the igniter. They have only needed to be cleaned or adjusted - BOTH the igniter tip and the receptor area on the burner!

I have had to replace one of the switches behind the knob that starts the ignition.

Good luck

Christopher Stahl
01-28-2009, 9:35 AM
Take a real close look at the igniters and see if the ceramic has hairline cracks in them. They are quite delicate and a simple bump from cleaning can damage them.

Jim Becker
01-28-2009, 11:45 AM
In addition to paying attention to the igniters, also check that the gas orifices are clean. These ranges do need regular care in that respect...my DCS is the same way.

Al Willits
01-28-2009, 7:43 PM
Some of them have updated ignitors, send me the model and I'll check and see if anything works for what you have, we service Vikings.

Al
Al