PDA

View Full Version : Lapstraking

Glen Dion
01-28-2009, 7:19 AM
First, thanks in advance for any time afforded to this.

I'm looking for instruction on lapstraking. Will likely use the marine ply\glue method as opposed to the clinker method. Is there a method or "trade secret" to faring the lapstraking where it meets the bow and stern? Is this even recommened with the marine ply\glue method. Suggested reading material would most welcome. I'm intending on building a wherry or similar for rowing and fishing on lakes.
Sometimes it's nice to leave the motor home, slow things down a bit.

Glen

Gary Kvasnicka
01-28-2009, 6:39 PM
Glen,

I found this book at the Woodenboat store:
http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=325-120

Also, I don't know where you are located, but Chesapeake Light Craft in Annapolis, Maryland has wherry kits and teaches classes where you build your own boat at their shop during the class.
http://www.clcboats.com/

I hope this helps. I have only built strip kayaks, but my son has requested a pulling boat like clc's Annapolis Wherry...it is on the list.

elks brisbane
01-29-2009, 10:20 PM
Iain Oughtred is a bit of a guru when it comes to lapstraking. He has a couple of books which are an excellent resource.

Frank Hagan
01-30-2009, 10:52 PM
+1 on Iain Oughtred. His "Clinker Plywood Boatbuilding Manual" is really good (you can see it at this Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Clinker-Plywood-Boatbuilding-Manual-Oughtred/dp/0937822612?&camp=212361&linkCode=wsw&tag=wwwnorthwinda-20&creative=380789) link from the SMC store)

I know several builders who have built lapstrake boats, from new designs to the Chamberlin Dory Skiff (PM if you want their details ... two of them are pros and the rest are amateur boat builders).

Travis Schafer
01-30-2009, 10:54 PM
As far as Lapstraking with plywood, you want to try to avoid leaving any plywood exposed to the point of having to hand plane or sand. Ways to avoid this are to properly set your rabbit and back rabbit line on your stem and keel.

In other words, dig a grove deep enough in your stem and keel to fully "seat" the plywod. Getting the proper angle can be tricky but dont lose too much sleep over it. It's better to go a little too deep on the rabbit line then to take meat off of your plywood.

Jim Creech
02-01-2009, 12:48 PM
John Gardner's "Building Classic Small Craft" is also an excellent reference which also includes Wherry plans as well as other small rowing boats.

Lawrence Smith
02-01-2009, 1:42 PM
I have built two wherries using the glued plywood lapstrake method of planking. The plans for both of them came from Walter Simmons in Lincolnville Beach, Maine. He specializes in wherries and it sounds like you are a perfect candidate for one of his wherries. He has them from four foot long to over twenty feet long. You can purchase the lofting from him along with the plans plus either a DVD or written instruction manual that covers the more complicated portions of the construction. This was most helpful to me when I was building my boats. The most difficult part of the construction I found to be the planking in the stern area due to the sharp curves that are required of the planking to mate everything together. I would strongly recomend that you check out his website "Duck Trap Woodworking", click on boat building and look at all the wherries he has to offer.

Another book that I found to be of value was "Building Small Boats" by Greg Rossel. It is available at the Wooden Boat Store.

Hope this helps and good luck.