PDA

View Full Version : Pen CA finish not glossy enough

Brian Brown
01-28-2009, 12:10 AM
I received a link from Ken Fitzgerald about an easy method of CA finish on pens. http://content.penturners.org/video/PenFin-Clip2-CAblo.wmv I tried it, and it really is easy. I didn't have any BLO, so I used Minwax tung oil finish instead. It is about 75-80% BLO. The finish is easy, but the final product wasn't very glossy. I finally broke down a bought some plain BLO and tried it. The finish I get from the BLO is very dull. It still looks and feels good, but no gloss at all. My question is how do you pen turners that use CA finish acheive the really glossy finish? Are you buffing? Is there something else I am missing?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-28-2009, 12:13 AM
Brian....yeh..I'm buffing. The white diamond wheel/buff will put a real sheen on it.

Alan Trout
01-28-2009, 12:29 AM
I wet sand my ca finish down to 2000 grit using BLO as the lubricant and then I finish polish mine with Novus #2 plastic polish. Mine come out with no scratches and super high gloss They looks like the best buffed acrylic pens. Most people think I buff my pens. Truth be known I have buffing wheels and never use them on pens.

Good Luck

Alan

Mark Hubl
01-28-2009, 12:35 AM
I've done it a couple different ways. If you burnish it too long when you apply it you will dull it. If this happens give it a lite wet sand (I use blo for lubricant) with a couple of grits...600/1500/4000. This will shine it up pretty nice. If mine it is not shiny enough then, I buff with WD and Wax. I am still experimenting with ca to get the technique down.

The blo colors the wood and also acts as a lube when burnishing the ca.

John Terefenko
01-28-2009, 12:37 AM
No buffing just micro meshed to 12,000. Then I use some plastic polish. I have never used blo with CA. I learned to use just CA and I can say it is not hard to learn at all. I learned the second time I did it. I use thin CA and put on about 4 to 5 coats. I use to hit with accelorator but now just let dry on its own. If in a hurry I will hit with accelorator. I will use blo to highlight wood grain before I top coat with CA. One other thing when sanding with micromesh I use water as my lubricant.

I think what alot of beginners do is they are afraid to put the CA on and think it is going to dry instantly. It does not dry that fast and that is why people use the blo to help with the heat to dry it but to me it is not needed at all and a waste of a step. But that is why there are so many ways to finish a pen. Ask 10 people how they finish a pen and you get 20 different answers.

You need to experiment for yourself to find that pefect way that works for you.

Don Carter
01-28-2009, 1:22 AM
Brian:
I use CA finishes on many small turnings. I sand through the grits to at least 600 and with some woods up through the micro mesh. The last two grits I wet sand with BLO as the lubricant. I apply thin CA and as it dries I lightly wet sand with BLO using the highest grit. I may do this two or three coats of CA. Then I polish with Meguiars Car scratch and swirl remover. It will get them very shiny.
I do this on pens, bottle stoppers, shaving brush handles and other small turnings.

All the best.

Don

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
01-28-2009, 3:32 AM
I agree with all...I wet sand to 12000 afte 4-5 coats of medium CA nanyou have to rub it back and forth untill the gloss turns dull, I lightly sand with 400 grit an Ido use BLO between coats, I have found that some times the whitish residue from the sanding will be layred into the next layer of CA if not cleaned with the BLO and could give you some whitish streaks. Here are some examples. I also finish with a last coat of Ren wax and a light buff...Good luck.

Richard..

Brian McDermaid
01-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I lay down a few layers of CA (sometimes with BLO, sometimes without depending on my shop temp and how the CA is acting). Then i do a quick hand sand with 600grit (lathe off), then work my way through the M.Mesh (lathe on). That always gives me a nice shine and a good 'tactile feel' (not too plasticy).

The other day i was goofing around and put a very light coat of shellawax friction polish over a CA finish... WOW what a shine! I know it won't last but i've got a few people using them and they still have a shine after 1 week. It will be interesting to see how the finish wears over time.

~Brian

Allen Neighbors
01-28-2009, 8:28 PM
Here's the 20th way to do it. :D
I use cheap CA from WallyWorld... Loctite Precision Max... I apply it at about 250-500 rpm, with one move across the length of the pen (I don't go back and forth) with Viva paper towel, then I move a 100Watt lamp up close for about 5 minutes (still spinning). I sand with 600 grit, lengthwise, between coats. I apply about 4 or 5 coats like this. I don't sand the last coat. Then I buff with Tripoli, White Diamond, and Carnauba. Beautiful gloss.
The 5 minute waits are filled with drilling, glueing, trimming, or some such short jobs.
If you rub too long when applying CA, it will begin to set up, and take away the gloss, and also it'll take away some of your paper towel. :D
If I burn some rings, I let it set about 15 minutes after the last coat of CA, before I take it off the mandrel. I don't want to get dust into the rings, where it takes a little longer for the CA to set up.
(Penn State's Accellerator won't work with thin CA)