PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here a member of Arizona Woodturners Association?

Rich Boehlke
01-27-2009, 10:33 PM
I have perused the WEB site and am very impressed with the talent of the members and will be joining the club in Feb. I have the equipment and now need the knowledge to use it to potential. Things I want to learn include:

Turning with cutting tools instead of sandpaper. :o
Sharpening the "right" way.
Using the skew (or just about any other tool) without catches. :mad:
Turning bowls and hollow forms.
Segmented turning.

I am struggling with picking this up on my own. Videos have been helpful but are not as valuable as in person hands on experience. Classes are available at a number of locations around the country but if it could be found locally,that would save a bunch of money on travel expenses. Do any AWA folks offer turning classes in the Phoenix area?

Jason Clark2
01-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Not only am I a member I'm the new Vice President, webmaster, and resident photographer.

Please contact me via PM or email.

Thanks
Jason

Martin Braun
01-28-2009, 1:19 AM
If you get here by Feb 5th, you can join us for the symposium as well. I don't believe we're doing a meeting in February, but you can stop by in March and check it out. Guests can enjoy their first meeting gratis, and if you like it sign up. Our membership fee is very reasonable.

Jason Clark2
01-28-2009, 12:49 PM
We had a meeting scheduled for 2/14 but it's been canceled due to a scheduling conflict. The next meeting will likely be March 21st and we may be bringing in a well known demonstrator.

Jason

Rich Boehlke
01-28-2009, 6:47 PM
If you get here by Feb 5th, you can join us for the symposium as well. I don't believe we're doing a meeting in February, but you can stop by in March and check it out. Guests can enjoy their first meeting gratis, and if you like it sign up. Our membership fee is very reasonable.

I am aware of the Desert Woodturners Roundup and plan to attend the functions that are open to the public. Full registration just isn't in the cards for me this year. I do plan on being at the March meeting as a new member, my application went out with today's mail.