PDA

View Full Version : Blum Tandem Slides... Boring Template Needed?

Eric Garner
01-27-2009, 10:29 PM
I've never installed Blum Tandem Slides before, but I'm preparing for installing a kitchen full of them. I haven't built the boxes for the drawers yet, but Blum's documentation makes sizing the drawers pretty easy.

My question is should I spend the ~ $50 for the Boring Template or spend the time making my own?

Any other tips?

Tom Cross
01-27-2009, 10:37 PM
For that many drawers, I would get the Blum jig. It is very accurate and saves a lot of time.

Jeff Wright
01-27-2009, 10:43 PM
I just installed six Blum Tandem Blumotion undermount slides. I did use their template for boring the holes for the underdrawer release mechanism and the hole in the rear of the drawers. I feel the money was well worth it to help insure positive positions for the holes. I used 5/8 thick sides on my drawers. I was impressed with the install. COuple thoughts on installation: 1] I installed my drawers as near perfectly level as possible. Next time I may install them with the back of the drawer slightly lower. The tilting adjustment built into the slides allow only an adjustment up. So if they were installed slightly lower in the rear, I could have easily adjusted them up a tad to insure the drawer face was in the correct plane. As it was, five of the six drawers were fine without any adjustment. Only one required reinstalling the slide with a slight lower rear position. 2] I only installed three screws on each slide at first to insure a good alignment. If I had to reposition the slides, I still had plenty of additional screw holes at the front, center and rear of each slide. 3] Be VERY careful to set each slide back from the front the equivalent amount. I made a simple jig to make sure each slide was set back the same amount.

My drawers were all inset style. I also used Blum's mounting gadgets for the drawer fronts. They worked extremely well and well worth their few dollars cost.

Karl Brogger
01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Its up to you, it does make things much easier. The retaining devices are pretty self explanitory, you can just push them into the corner and screw them in. For the hole in the back, you can push the drawer into the opening after the slides are installed and give it a little "thump" with your hand, and the pins will mark the box so you know where to drill. Depends how many drawers you're doing, it does save a fair amount of time.

Craig Coney
01-27-2009, 11:05 PM
You don't need it, however the jig does make it easier. You could also build your own, the dimensions you need are all over their spec sheets.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-28-2009, 2:19 AM
Sorry for the hijack, but where do you guys buy these slides? Seems to be a wide range of prices.

Jay Jolliffe
01-28-2009, 6:10 AM
HDL hardware. I think they have the best prices except where i get my drawers made. I paid $21.95 for the 21''ones.That's cheap.

Karl Brogger
01-28-2009, 6:50 AM
I'm glad someone on here is finally using HDL. I get a little upset when I see someone has bought slides from Rockler for $28 a set.

Jay is that for the 562H's, soft close? If it is they've really lowered their retail pricing.

Howard Miller
01-28-2009, 7:24 AM
On the HDL web site, they have Blum and KV slides. Which would be the best for a bath vanity for side drawer mount? I will be installing 3 drawers.

Gene Howe
01-28-2009, 8:54 AM
I just installed six Blum Tandem Blumotion undermount slides. I did use their template for boring the holes for the underdrawer release mechanism and the hole in the rear of the drawers. I feel the money was well worth it to help insure positive positions for the holes. I used 5/8 thick sides on my drawers. I was impressed with the install. COuple thoughts on installation: 1] I installed my drawers as near perfectly level as possible. Next time I may install them with the back of the drawer slightly lower. The tilting adjustment built into the slides allow only an adjustment up. So if they were installed slightly lower in the rear, I could have easily adjusted them up a tad to insure the drawer face was in the correct plane. As it was, five of the six drawers were fine without any adjustment. Only one required reinstalling the slide with a slight lower rear position. 2] I only installed three screws on each slide at first to insure a good alignment. If I had to reposition the slides, I still had plenty of additional screw holes at the front, center and rear of each slide. 3] Be VERY careful to set each slide back from the front the equivalent amount. I made a simple jig to make sure each slide was set back the same amount.

My drawers were all inset style. I also used Blum's mounting gadgets for the drawer fronts. They worked extremely well and well worth their few dollars cost.

+1 And, aren't those drawers sweet? The get raves from everyone that sees them/uses them. Especially the LOML and she's the one that counts.
It was a one time thing, these under mounts. So does any one want the jigs?
Gene

Tom Cross
01-28-2009, 8:57 AM
www.cabinetparts.com (http://www.cabinetparts.com) is my source - good discount prices and very helpful with installation when I have caloled them.

Matt Meiser
01-28-2009, 9:28 AM
I just installed one pair without. I carefully marked the position of the back holes using a marking gauge set off a good rule. The fronts I didn't even bother to predrill, but I was using baltic birch. Solid wood would probably split if you tried that. Still for a few drawers, marking with a pencil would only take a second.

I got mine from Woodworkers hardware and paid more than some of the prices mentioned above, but mine have Blumotion too so it makes it hard to compare without looking at each site. But they are some sweet slides, and actually the easiest I think I've ever installed because of the adjustment features. Mine are used on an inset drawer, and they return the drawer to the exact same closed position ever time, which is something I was worried about since it would show in the gaps around the drawer face.

Ed Labadie
01-28-2009, 11:05 AM
I'm glad someone on here is finally using HDL. I get a little upset when I see someone has bought slides from Rockler for $28 a set.

Jay is that for the 562H's, soft close? If it is they've really lowered their retail pricing.

IIRC, HDL hardware is the wholesale division of Woodworkers Hardware. You have to set up an account and buy several thousand $ worth of stuff each year. Older account holders aren't held to this.

I tried a while back to set up an account with them, no go.

Ed

Karl Brogger
01-28-2009, 6:14 PM
IIRC, HDL hardware is the wholesale division of Woodworkers Hardware. You have to set up an account and buy several thousand $ worth of stuff each year. Older account holders aren't held to this.

I tried a while back to set up an account with them, no go.

Ed

I've got an wholesale account with them, and spend several thousand a year with them. That's why I asked about the price on the slides. I think I'm paying $23/set in case quantity for the 22" soft close slides.

I knew they had a retail side, but didn't know it was under a different name. Is there more than one HDL, or just the one here in Minnesota?

Steve Clardy
01-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Retail http://wwhardware.com/index.cfm/pageid/2

Commercial http://hdlusa.com/

Sister companys

Sonny Edmonds
01-28-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm trying to figure out why you would find the template boring? :confused:

I'll admit they are pretty bland, but I wouldn't think boring.

Besides, it would help in mounting the slides, afterall. :D