PDA

View Full Version : Twist Link Belt

Brian Peters
01-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Saw these at woodcraft, going to buy one for my jointer but anyone know if they work for a delta table saw, the delta part number for the standard belt is A06454 (http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Products/PartDetails.aspx?partid=239807) for a delta 10" hybrid saw model #36-717 (http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Products/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=56089&tid=14243). It looks like the belt is not your standard pulley. The saw vibrates when it starts up slightly and a lot when it gets turned off and is slowing down the entire table shakes a bit. Never liked it but now that I need one to control the vibration on my jointer thought I might as well do the table saw too. Thanks.

Larry Edgerton
01-28-2009, 6:55 AM
I would suggest that you change out the pulleys at the same time to a good quality steel, such as Browning, to mazimize the benifit. I do this to all my contractor saws and the difference is well worth it.

Charles Robertson
01-28-2009, 7:20 AM
I use 3 link belts on my unisaw, over 10 years now-no replacements. Almost daily use. Highly recommended. As Larry sugested, replace any potmetal pulleys with good steel. That alone is a good improvement. Al

Brian W Evans
01-28-2009, 10:25 AM
I bought some 1/2" link belt for my General 50-185 contractor's saw and found that I needed 3/8" instead (I'm not planning to change out the pulleys). This is hard to find but I think Grizzly carries it. Almost all the major woodworking suppliers only carry 1/2".

Brian Peters
01-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Thanks for the info, changed out my jointer's belt today and was amazed how much vibration it took out with the link belt. So smooth running too. Table saw is nice once I crawl under neath to check out the belt needed.

scott spencer
01-29-2009, 5:08 AM
The shaking on shut down sounds somewhat normal to me....some electrical interactions can occur with the motor and capacitors on shutdown that cause a brief shimmy, but the vibration on startup suggests a belt/pulley issue.

The belt on your Delta is a ribbed serpentine automotive style belt that has proprietary pulleys for that style of belt. The serpentine belts are known for running quietly and smoothly, having efficient power transfer, and are less prone to memory set than standard belts, but they can still take a set sometimes. It's possible your belt is bad or that the pulleys are misaligned, or possibly a pulley is damaged. A link belt will be a lot more effort and cost, and won't necessarily be better than a good serpentine belt...the links are less aerodynamic and actually make more wind noise. The easiest and least expensive thing is to replace the stock belt. If it's under warranty ask them for a new one.

Ken Milhinch
01-29-2009, 5:50 AM
I bought some 1/2" link belt for my General 50-185 contractor's saw and found that I needed 3/8" instead (I'm not planning to change out the pulleys). This is hard to find but I think Grizzly carries it. Almost all the major woodworking suppliers only carry 1/2".

Go here http://www.fennerdrives.com/default.asp