PDA

View Full Version : Router Lift or High Quality Plunge Router

Robert Andrew
01-27-2009, 7:57 PM
I am in the process of finishing a router table and have been trying to decide on a router. As I do my research I find that the cost of a quality router lift and fixed base router (or router motor only) is significantly more expensive than a high quality plunge router with above the table depth adjustment and bit changing.

What are the pros and cons to the two alternatives?

Thanks,

Rob

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
01-27-2009, 8:36 PM
I shop built my router table after getting the Triton 2-1/4 hp router. It has a rapid ratcheting knob to lift or lower the motor, and in the full "up" position, it locks the arbor and bit changing is done with only one wrench. There is an extenion rod that goes through the plate to match with the motor to raise/lower the unit by "micro" amounts to fine tune it. The Triton unit also has a connector for a 1-1/2 in hose for dust/chip collection (maybe not the best). I attached a two gang box with a switch and plug which turns on both the router and my vac at the same time. I will post a photo if I can figure how to do that...good luck which ever

Richard.

Ryan Baker
01-27-2009, 8:38 PM
A lift is WAY more sturdy and precise. I would never trade my lift for a plunge base. A good lift is worth the price. A lift can also accomodate a large motor, which would be very awkward in a plunge base if you could even find a good one.

Sonny Edmonds
01-27-2009, 8:46 PM
I've done both.
Had a PC 7539 in my table and modified it to raise from above.
Then Bench Dog came online with their Pro Lift. Put a refurbed 7518 motor in it.
Haven't looked back...;)

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
01-27-2009, 9:02 PM
I just took some photos of the table...shop is a mess...what can I say.

Myk Rian
01-27-2009, 9:32 PM
A plunge router works in a table if you take the springs out of it first. Many of the fixed bases have above the table adjustments. I have a PC890 fixed base in mine. 2 holes in the insert are all that's needed to make adjustments.

Jim Andrew
01-27-2009, 9:47 PM
I use a Hitachi M12V, the old style, on a plate in my router table. Took off the springs and mounted it to a 1/2" plastic plate. They offer a handle for using the router in a table, but you have to reach under the table and loosen the clamp to change the adjustment. Then just turn the knob slightly one way or the other for fine adjustments.

Dale Morris
01-27-2009, 9:58 PM
Robert I have a PC739 Plunge router I bought at an auction for $95.00 bought pans to make a router lift out of it for my tble it works very very well and is extremely accurate it seems to do what any router will. Oh I did add the "extreme router Extenswion for $59.00 also a very good product that allows you to insert your router bits above the table and tighen and loosen them with 1/8 turn of the allen screw, what a cool thing. If you are interested I can find the website to get the plans for the retrofit.

Dale Morris

Dale Morris
01-27-2009, 10:01 PM
Ryan mine is made from a PC739 which is 3/1/4 HP and is plenty hefty, the retrofitting adjustment gets me in the thousants range. It works great.

Dale Morris

glenn bradley
01-27-2009, 10:14 PM
As you can see, there are two camps on this. I ran a Mil 5625 with the wrench through the table for height adjustments. It worked fine. My dad runs the Triton and it is better (but that power switch really ticks me off).
I eventually sprang for a PRL lift and it is definitly a different world but, they are pricey. Do you need it? No, but I would get a fixed base unit so you can move the motor into your lift when you do get one :D.

hank dekeyser
01-27-2009, 11:40 PM
Potatoe - potatoe - The results are the same. How much you want to spend determines what you get. Personally I have a handful of Porter Cable routers that I replaced the base with acrylic to fit my table recess. Adjust it , drop it in the hole and go to work. I think people get too caught up in the "but I NEED to adjust it from the top" line of thought, etc. (that and " oooh thats neat, I need one of those") Umm yeah OK, just make it easier to pull it out of the hole to adjust - better yet get 2 (or more) routers and dedicate them each to one bit or task? I've got 2 older 1/4" Bosch that I use for 1/4" and 3/8" roundover only. Another Bosch 1/2" for template trimming, a couple porter cables set up for the dovetail jig - and a couple more P/C that I use for the flavor of the day, a new Milwaukee 5625 still in the box, cuz I just don't need it yet. Probly a couple more - I cant keep track. Buy 'em at pawn shops and rummage sales cheap enough , or find a good deal online. Just get at least 2 so you dont need to swap bits all the time.

I know it's a sickness- I think I have like a dozen routers- I see 'em at rummage sales and stuff cheap so I buy 'em- ya can't go wrong with a good quality router.

Gene Howe
01-28-2009, 9:04 AM
My PC 7518 is in a Jessem lift. Works for me and my methods. YMMV

Robert Andrew
01-28-2009, 11:03 AM
Thanks to all that have replied. It looks like I have stumbled into another one of those "there is no right answer" questions.

I will keep my eyes open for a deal and let the economics influence me.

Rob