PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on how to construct this

Lincoln Myers
01-27-2009, 6:11 PM
Hi Creekers,

Looking for some construction advice on this storage unit. I will be building a similar unit to go in our newly remodeled bathroom (I'm not quite done w/ the bathroom yet).

Items I'm looking for:

1. Suggested material MDF? Ply? Solid wood?
2. Fasteners Pocket screws? Dados?
3. Paint. Suggestions on how to finish it for durability

It will be in a smallish bathroom, serving as towel hook below for 3 kids and some storage above for washcloths, bath toys etc.

I'm not looking to spend a ton of time on it, but want it to be solid and look nice.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions.

-Linc

Maurice Ungaro
01-27-2009, 6:26 PM
You can make it out of solid, which would be best. Since you want to paint it, I'd go for poplar, or something similar.

You can also make it quite handily out of ply, with a solid edging. MDF would be kinda heavy to hang off of the wall (my opinion).

As for putting it together, I'd vote for either biscuits or Miller dowels. Biscuits would be fast, offer a good bond for that type of thing, and glue up would be easier.

Danny Thompson
01-27-2009, 6:28 PM
Except for the color, that is an exact match of the Pottery Barn rack hanging near my laundry room. It appears to be 100% MDF, glued, with rabbets and dadoes at all the connection points, but it is hard to know for sure. I don't see any sign of hardware connecting the boards.

Pocket holes would work, but you would for sure want to cover those holes. I would go the rabbet/dado route. And hang it on a cleat.

Edge-banded plywood would also be a good choice.

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
01-27-2009, 6:45 PM
I would recomend a hardwood plywood and Titeboud III, maybe even marine grade as it will be exposed to high humidity. I had a simular item from MDF that after a couple of years stared to swell and come apart. If you could dado and glue and I always have my brad nailer handy. I agree attaching a strip with a 45 degree edge leveled and into studs and a matching 45 degree strip on the unit. It will lock in place and allow you to attach to studs.

Good luck..Richard

Josiah Bartlett
01-27-2009, 7:02 PM
For something that size I think poplar is a great choice. It will likely be less expensive than marine or cabinet grade plywood (especially if you have to buy a whole sheet), it will machine and stain/paint well, you don't have to edge band it, its fairly light, and its a pleasure to work with.

Frank Drew
01-27-2009, 10:28 PM
I agree with Maurice and Josiah and would use poplar or another wood that took paint well, basswood maybe although it isn't as hard as poplar. MDF is certainly useful at times but isn't a ton of fun to work with, and plywood isn't much better.

Danny Thompson
01-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Consider an epoxy paint to achieve a smooth durable finish.

Matthew Hills
01-28-2009, 12:28 AM
This reminded me of a project from Woodsmith a year or two back:

Drop-front storage center (Vol 29 No 169)
http://www.woodsmith.com/images/issues/169/cover-medium.jpg
The front "drawers" are actually a flip-down cupboard door.

You can download the plans for this from (think they'll ask for your email address):
http://www.woodsmithshop.com/episodes/season1/downloads/

They have a couple of slight variations in styles you might prefer. They suggest pine as a material, although I still think poplar would work well.

Matt

Joe Chritz
01-28-2009, 11:32 AM
I would likely hybrid build it. The back would be edge banded plywood, the side solid poplar or soft maple and the shelves would be edge banded plywood. The top would be either plywood banded with thicker poplar or would be solid.

Use birch and better yet maple plywood and after the finish it will be impossible to tell which is which.

Biscuits would hold everything together nicely and since it looks like an applied top I would also use some screws through the sub top into the shelves for easier assembly.

For finish I would use Target USL tinted with Sherwin Williams pigment or order tinted finish from homestead finishing. Alternatively if you don't spray the all acrylic paint (pro classic) from Sherwin Williams is very good paint to use.

ETA: Make sure when you build yours you replace that awful flames hat with a Red Wings one. That will finish the project nicely.

Joe

Chris Padilla
01-28-2009, 12:18 PM
If you plan any curves at all, hardwood is easiest since you don't have to worry about hiding a plywood edge otherwise I'd do it mostly from plywood. Birch and poplar paint up very, very nicely.