PDA

View Full Version : problems with Saw Stop cutting laminate?

Michael Eckstein
01-27-2009, 5:05 PM
I was wondering if any of you Saw Stop owners/users have ever used it to cut laminate? Most of the cabinets/counter tops we build are laminate so if there is an issue with this I would like to know. I am considering putting a Saw Stop in our next budget so I am trying to do my research now. We also build most of our cabinets from a product called Pro Core (1/2" plywood sandwiched between 1/4" MDF with thermofused melamine on the surfaces). Have any of you cut any products such as this (melamine) and encountered any problems? I emailed Saw Stop with these questions and received this...

In response to your request, the brake
should only react to conductivity. So unless there was some embedded metal or mirrored surface in the laminate, it should not activate.

Thanks for any insight you guys can give me.

Chris Padilla
01-27-2009, 5:29 PM
I would think those products you plan to cut will be fine, Michael, but I've zero direct experience. I don't think any of the products you mention can conduct electricity worth a dilly.

Mark Boyette
01-27-2009, 5:58 PM
We got our saw stop last year.. no problem cutting laminates. We cut a ton of it through ours already. The only thing that would trigger the SS break is things that transfer electrical current (metal, very wet wood). We use a wilsonart lamiguide which is a metal cap that goes over our fence. Keeps the laminate from going in the fence and has a 1/2" of metal that lies on the table. If you use one of those be careful. If you are holding the lamiguide and move the fence too close it might hit the blade and trigger the brake. Haven't done this yet but something to think about. Also I sometimes double check a dado cut with my tape measure while it's running (left tilt so fence reading is off). If you hit the tape measure into the blade while holding it... she'll go off. Haven't done that yet either but it's only been a year with the saw.
No problemswith melemines or anything like it.
The brake puts out a very small electrical current. If you touch the blade your body absorbs some of that current. Similiar concept to those lamps that turn on with you touch the metal base. The brake reconizes the drop in current and triggers the brake.
I really like the saw.. extremely well built. My only gripe is that it doesn't come in a right tilt. We do a lot of dadoing and it's much easier when you can use the fence to measure.
Mark.