PDA

View Full Version : Rockwell Drill- Free batteries

Dave Lehnert
01-27-2009, 4:53 PM
FYI-I was just reading Rockwell line of drills come with free replacement of batteries for the life of the tool.

I have no experience with this line of drills. Anyone in the group own one?

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/images/Image/Issue_215/215TPDrill.jpg

Dave Potter
01-27-2009, 5:26 PM
Dave:

Rockwell is now a brand of power tools made by the Chinese tool company Positec (http://x3technology.net/positec/Home.aspx). They make the Worx line of power hand and yard tools as well as other branded tools (Master Mechanic for True Value hardware stores and Craftsman for Sears).

The tools they make are hit or miss, as far as the Master Mechanic line goes. I've a few of their hand tools, both corded and battery, and it's about 60% that work well, 40% that are not so good or just plain lousy.

Their literature indicates they are working to become a major player in the power tool market. My guess is the free batteries for the life of the tool is to attract customers to the flagship brand. To me this is like the Xerox Phaser solid ink printer offering up free black ink for life a few years ago after they bought the original manufacturer. It's gotten to the point you have to hammer on Xerox to continue to get the ink. Hope that helps.

Dave Potter

Mort Stevens
01-27-2009, 5:39 PM
I have no experience with this line of drills.

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/images/Image/Issue_215/215TPDrill.jpg

These are not your father's Rockwell drills - interesting that they were able to wrangle the 'Rockwell' name away from Delta, et al.

Dar Lounsbury
01-27-2009, 6:53 PM
The question is, Will the Chinese company making the Rockwell drill still be there when you need batteries. So many of these companies go for a few years doing one thing and then turn into something else unrelated.

Dave Potter
01-27-2009, 10:08 PM
The question is, Will the Chinese company making the Rockwell drill still be there when you need batteries. So many of these companies go for a few years doing one thing and then turn into something else unrelated.
Dar:

Now that, my friend, is always a good question about these lifetime deals, be it batteries or guarantees. ...Whether the company is Chinese, German, or even American (every hear of Point 'n' Paint?).

Dave Potter

Larry Browning
01-27-2009, 10:28 PM
And always remember, this is probably for the lifetime of the tool, not your lifetime. In other words, the company will say the lifetime of this tool is 5 years. so you will only get replacement batteries for 5 years, not until the tool actually quits working. better check the fine print on these so called "lifetime guarantees"

Bob Slater
01-28-2009, 7:58 AM
You probably have to mail the battery back and pay $29.95 shipping and handling for the new one. Sad what becomes of the once proud names. Singer, Rockwell...maybe Buick is next. Anyway, if they are smart they will bring these tools up to the quality of all the other box store offerings, because Rockwell is a great sounding name for a line of tools.