PDA

View Full Version : Work in progress

Jeff Nicol
01-27-2009, 4:43 PM
This is my first post on this forum, mostly on the turners forum. I have been out of the flat work for a while so forgot half of what I used to do! This is going to be a jewelry box with some compartments and a tray inside. It is 8"x12"x3" I am making a couple for my cousins art gallery for the first weekend in Feb, she is having a show all dedicated to jewelry and such. No finish on it yet but so far so good. It is white oak and purpleheart.

Thanks for looking,

Jeff

gary Zimmel
01-27-2009, 5:02 PM
Nice to see you on this side of the Creek Jeff.

It must be box month...

Looks like it's going to be a fine jewelry box.
Great job.
Make sure to give us a pic with the finish on.

Danny Thompson
01-27-2009, 5:03 PM
Nice work. The contrast works very well. I am surprised by the size of the lip on the lid. Reminds me of a Japanese hut or something. What kind of finish do you have planned? What kind of jewelry?

Ed Sallee
01-27-2009, 8:29 PM
Very nice.... have you installed your hinges yet? What kind are you using?

Jason Tuinstra
01-28-2009, 2:54 AM
Looks like you haven't lost your chops. Good for you. Nothing like a box to get back in the groove. It looks very nice.

Jeff Nicol
01-28-2009, 7:20 AM
Glad to have something to show on this side of SMC! I have a list as long as my arm to get done, but I have a tough time pulling myself away from the lathe!

I think the finish will be an oil/varnish of some sort. The top is book matched with very nice rays in it. I did put some antique oil on it and let it dry for 3 days before I put it together. I Might do that to the whole thing and just hand rub the whole thing out, I want some depth to the white oak.

The hinges are not in yet, I did buy some brass ones to mortise in. One set is plain and one has balls on the pins. I was thinking of getting something different, so any suggestions would be great! I have until the 7th of Feb to get it done so I think I will make it. I have never tried the round ones that are hidden, do they work well?

Thanks one and all! Next project is to finish the doors for the lazy susan in the kitchen, my wife is a little worried that after 3years of no doors on them I will never finish them! Built all the cabinets for the kitchen but never finished!!

Jeff

Jeff Nicol
02-08-2009, 8:44 AM
Well here are the 2 jewelry boxes that I made for my cousins art gallery show this weekend. It is all about jewelry so I made the boxes and the bracelets in the bigger one. They were fun and I have more to make and an order for a larger on with 2 drawers and a locking top. So far so good!
Let me know if I can still be a woodworker!!

Thanks,

Jeff

Craig T. Smith
02-08-2009, 9:00 AM
Jeff, From the looks of these 2 boxes I' say you're a Fine Woodworker. Nice job, keep em coming. Happy Woodworking, Craig

Jeff Nicol
02-08-2009, 2:35 PM
Jeff, From the looks of these 2 boxes I' say you're a Fine Woodworker. Nice job, keep em coming. Happy Woodworking, Craig
Craig, Thanks so much! I wish I could clone myself as I would work in the shop 24/7 if I could! The encouragment helps too!!

Thanks to all who checked out my little boxes!

Jeff

Dewey Torres
02-08-2009, 2:52 PM
Very nice flatwork Jeff. I felt for sure you were going to send it off packed with tiny hollow forms!

Bob Vavricka
02-09-2009, 11:15 PM
Jeff, I really like the white oak and purpleheart jewelry box--they make a nice contrast. I have used a similar hinge before on a humidor I made and really liked them, but they were a little tricky mortising. I tried to make my own template and got a decent fit. How did you do the mortise for yours?
I have also admired your work over on the spinny side of the creek and the bangles look good also. Very nice.
Bob V.