PDA

View Full Version : Black Oak Burl

Gary Max
01-27-2009, 3:54 PM
Just got this one done, she is about 8 inches tall. Wood is Black Oak Burl---aka Black Jack. Has to be the hardest Oak on the planet. Finish is about a dozen coats of Clear Gloss Laq.

Steve Schlumpf
01-27-2009, 4:19 PM
WOW - beautiful turning Gary! Amazing wood color and love all the curl! It was worth the effort! Thanks for sharing!

charlie knighton
01-27-2009, 7:47 PM
very nice...

David Christopher
01-27-2009, 7:55 PM
nice looking Gary, love the color and grain

Barry Stratton
01-27-2009, 9:34 PM
That is a very nice, shiny, well sanded round hunk of wood. Not trying to be dense, but what is it???? A vase? Hollow Form?? Jar??? Box??? Sorry but I cannot tell from the pics.:confused::confused:

Bernie Weishapl
01-27-2009, 11:06 PM
Beauty Gary. Great looking wood and finish.

Jim Kountz
01-27-2009, 11:41 PM
I cant stop looking at it!! I just get lost in the grain patterns, looks like an eye sort of in a way. Very nicely done!!

Dewey Torres
01-28-2009, 1:50 AM
Super looking figure and finish! Great work.

Gary Max
01-28-2009, 2:33 AM
If I called it a jar the person that buys it would call it a vase and a woodworker would say she's a Hollow form:rolleyes:

Barry Stratton
01-28-2009, 9:15 AM
If I called it a jar the person that buys it would call it a vase and a woodworker would say she's a Hollow form:rolleyes:

THANKS Gary!

Wow, a Hollow form! That must have been a bear to hollow out!!:eek:

With such a big opening and easy access for hands, you must have spent days getting it hollow and smooth! I'm new at this HF thing, do you have any pictures of the inside and any tips on how to hollow something that deep and wide while keeping it smooth????? I'm assuming it matches the outside shape?????

I'm sure lots of folks could benefit from your answers. Thanks.

Don Eddard
01-28-2009, 4:29 PM
...the person that buys it would call it a vase and a woodworker would say she's a Hollow form:rolleyes:
Why would a woodworker call your customer a hollow form? :p

Looks like real nice wood, but seriously, is it THAT hard to hold your camera plumb with the object? :rolleyes: Take more shots if necessary. Digital film is free, after all. ;)