PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist Scam (How does this work?)

Paul Simmel
01-27-2009, 1:59 PM
This is the 3rd time someone has tried this. and here is the exact email. Please, how does this work? Does the check bounce after the item is picked up? Does the item EVER get picked up? If I CASH the check, do they somehow get my numbers and/or info?

=-=-=-

Thanks for the quick response, i'll really like to have the item but i
wouldnt have time to be around in person so pls I'll be sending you a
Cheque via my bank for the cost of the item. Because of the nature of
my job, I'll not be available to pick up the item myself, with this,i
will be sending someone come pick the item up on my behalf.i hope you
do understand...

So I'll like you to provide me with the following information so as to
notify the payment for the item.
1.Full name to be on the cheque
2.Home or work address (Ups doesn't deliver to P.O Boxes)
3.Phone number
4 The final price As soon as you have cashed the cheque I'll make
arrangement with my mover concerning the pick up. Pls do me a favor of
removing the Ad from CL as I'm committed to buying it. Have a nice
day.

Dr. Tyler

Edit: Last year I actually played this out for some scaffolding I had for sale. Same sort of email, same exact deal (can't pick up or see in person... will send "mover". etc.), and I got a check via UPS. Then when I didn't cash the check, I had a guy with a heavy accent calling me. "Did you cash the check... did you cash the check"? Check looked real... I tore up and ceased emails and answering phone. Just wondered how this WORKS?

Jon Lanier
01-27-2009, 2:03 PM
They like Winston Churchill's famous speech and put it into practice: "Never give up, never give up, never give up!"

That or they are just leeches of society.

Thomas Bank
01-27-2009, 2:08 PM
Two things I see are that the check (cheque?) bounces or their "mover" picks up the item and everything else in your shop while you are not there...

Darren Salyer
01-27-2009, 2:15 PM
UPS sent the check? I wonder if they somehow have insurance on the package, or make a claim against UPS somehow? This one beats me.

But if you will send me your account # and password, I'll look into it on your behalf........... Just Kidding!!!:)

Paul Simmel
01-27-2009, 2:25 PM
I suspect this is a foreign scam, and I suspect no one will ever "pick up" anything. It somehow has to do with your cashing the check. Giving a phone number... even an address... is really no biggy.

OBVIOUSLY, nor I or anyone with a brain is going to let an "item" be trucked away before the "check" clears. Maybe the check does clear, then get canceled somehow? But I suspect SOMEHOW, tha act of cashing the check is the key to the scam.

Roger Fournier
01-27-2009, 2:47 PM
Good information here:

http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

Eric DeSilva
01-27-2009, 2:54 PM
Its a fake bank check. The bank will show it in your account because it takes a while to detect the forgery. Meantime, they get a shipper to pick the stuff up, drop it off somewhere else. Then, the bank gets word its a forgery, they remove the funds from your account. You have no real idea who the buyer/forger is, since they didn't actually pick anything up. All you have is the moving company, but they have no liability since you allowed them to pick it up. They just dropped something off somewhere and its gone. So, you are out of luck with no recourse.

Paul Simmel
01-27-2009, 2:59 PM
>>> UPS sent the check? I wonder if they somehow have insurance on the package, or make a claim against UPS somehow? This one beats me.

Yeah, I got a special delivery from UPS! with an "official" "cheque". If I recall the amount was for MORE than the asking price... had something to do with sending HIM back a certain amount (after mover was paid)? Don't recall exactly.

But these guys are out there every day and they wouldn't be doing it if it didn't work enough of the time to make it worth their while. Now I want to KNOW how this works! Report to FBI, also!

Paul Simmel
01-27-2009, 3:12 PM
Here's my response:

-=-=-=-

Before we proceed I need to know if you know what a turnip-truck is. I only deal with people who know about turnip-trucks, their nature and all. Sorry, this is the only way we can proceed, due to the nature of my upbringing.

Looking forward to following this to its logical conclusion!

Signed,

Who-Kicky-Dicky

Danny Thompson
01-27-2009, 3:15 PM
You just gave the key. The check was for more than you asked, so he would ask you to send him the difference. Your bank would accept the check, initially, but would later take the money back once they discovered it was a forgery, and you would be out the money you sent to the guy.

Rich Engelhardt
01-27-2009, 3:18 PM
Hello,

UPS sent the check? I wonder if they somehow have insurance on the package, or make a claim against UPS somehow? This one beats me.

Using UPS avoids having the US Postal Service getting involved.

Lee Schierer
01-27-2009, 3:34 PM
I agree with Dan, they are relying on your greed. The check came for more than you asked for your selling price so you rush off to the bank and deposit the check. Then you get asked to send back at least part of the difference keeping a little bit for your trouble, so you mailk a check. Then the bank discovers the check you deposited is invalid and deducts the amount from your account. You are out the amount you sent to the unknown stranger and still have the merchandise in your house because they never picked it up.

As noted they avoid using the USPS as there are laws against mail fraud, none for UPS or FedEx fraud.

I'd write back an say that you may have been born at night but it wasn't last night and keep your listing on craigs list going.

Tom Veatch
01-27-2009, 4:19 PM
Danny nailed it!

Similar thing happened with a couple of 100# propane bottles I had on Craigslist. Guy wanted me to ship them to England of all places. Propane bottles must be in very short supply in the British Isles:rolleyes:.

Same deal; forget why, but the cashiers "cheque" would be for more than the amount and I was to refund any balance. My response was that I'd charge a 10% fee on the gross amount of the check for my fiduciary services, and that nothing would be shipped nor would any refund be issued until after my bank confirmed that the "cheque" had been honored. As expected, never heard another word from him.

Matt Meiser
01-27-2009, 4:24 PM
I wouldn't write back at all--just delete it. :)

Whenever I post something on Craigslist, I put something at the bottom to the effect that "Scammers need not apply--no, I won't take a check and send you the difference". I also always put in the ad that I'll only take cash at the time of pickup. I figure I'll say right up front that I'm not falling for it. It seems to work because I don't get these types of messages, or maybe GMail is getting rid of them for me. The other thing that seems to work is pricing the item to move fast so they don't even get a chance.

Myk Rian
01-27-2009, 4:48 PM
I got an e-mail like that for a bandsaw I was giving away for FREE. :D

travis howe
01-27-2009, 7:36 PM
You all got it. Same thing was going on a while back with forged money orders. I work in the InfoSec field and it nevers seems to end, they always come up w/ something new.

Tom Veatch
01-27-2009, 11:03 PM

Most of the time, that's exactly what I do - delete and ignore. But, occasionally, I'll see just how far I can string one of them along before they give it up.

Karl Brogger
01-28-2009, 6:46 AM
Pass it off to the Secret Service. I believe fraud is one of their jobs.

Brian Elfert
01-28-2009, 8:04 AM
I recently sold a washer and dryer on Craigslist. I got at least three scam offers to buy. Interestingly enough, I sold a brand new LCD computer monitor and got no scam offers.

You can usually tell which replies are legit and which are not pretty easily. Most of the non-legit offers just ask if you still have the item without even mentioning the name of the specific item. If you answer the email then they send the scam email. I still answer every email that isn't clearly a scam just in case, but real emails usually ask about condition and maybe ask when they can come look at the items and sometimes ask you to call them.

I don't include a phone number so I won't be bombarded with tire kickers. I've never had a problem with selling anything without a phone nubmer.

Laurie Brown
01-29-2009, 9:27 AM
A friend of mine was almost taken by this. She was selling an $11,000 loader. The buyer sent her a company check by FedEx, but it wasn't an actual check, it was a photocopy of a check, front and back. She called the bank listed on the check, and they said they'd never heard of the company in question and they didn't have an account with them. The buyer requested when she got the check to send him instructions on where to pick up the loader. She said she never sent the instructions and was glad she didn't take the heck to the bank.

But I told her that even if she had, no bank will accept a photocopy of a check. These guys didn't even bother to try to fake a REAL check, just a copy of one??

glenn bradley
01-29-2009, 9:42 AM
Most of the time, that's exactly what I do - delete and ignore. But, occasionally, I'll see just how far I can string one of them along before they give it up.

I do the same thing with telemarketers. I'll act real interested, let them get started on their spiel and then ask them to hold on for "just a second". I set the phone down and let them listen to me working in the shop or office till they hang up. I figure if they are listening to me shuffle around, they aren't calling you.

Matt Meiser
01-29-2009, 9:55 AM
I do the same thing with telemarketers. I'll act real interested, let them get started on their spiel and then ask them to hold on for "just a second". I set the phone down and let them listen to me working in the shop or office till they hang up. I figure if they are listening to me shuffle around, they aren't calling you.

If I'm in a mood to mess with them I push a button on the phone whenever they start talking. The smart (dumb?) ones figure out that the phone makes that noise whenever they talk so they try to speed up or slow down there talking to get around it. Yeah, I need to get a life....

But the funniest one I've heard came from Bob and Tom where the guy acts like the telemarketer called a murder scene and starts questioning him about his relationship with the deceased. Its on YouTube I believe.

Joe Pelonio
01-29-2009, 11:07 AM
Here's a new one I got in the e-mail this morning. First of all, I have no web store, and I have never dealt electronics.

To Whom It May concern:

My name is Jxxxx Wxxx from Singapore. I'm currently looking for overseas partnership business that will be able to supply Garmin GPS MAP 76CSx (Part Number: 010-00469-00).

I have visited your web store today and observed that your company carrying for performance parts product. Please let me know if you will be able to supply for us, ship overseas and accept visa and mastercard payment because I want to order for:

Name of Product: Garmin GPSMap 76CSx (P/N: 010-00469-00).
Quantity : 35 units

My shipping destination is Singapore and prefer to ship via FedEx International Priority, or DHL Express. So, if you agree with my proposal please let me know your latest price include shipping cost.

I'm really hope you can be my assistance to get the Garmin GPSMap 76CSx (P/N: 010-00469-00) and ship it out to me. Please note, that the payment will be made by visa and mastercard. Your prompt reply will be greatly appreciated, and I look forward to hear the good news from you.ASAP.

Best Regards,
Jxxxx Wxxx

Mike Sheppard
01-30-2009, 9:22 AM
I got one that said he would send extra money for me and so I could pay his shipper. I emailed him back to send his shipper the check and have him bring cash to me. Then let him know I was born at night but not last night. Never heard back.
Mike

Joe Chritz
01-31-2009, 11:02 AM
I have a little experience in dealing with scams.

This one is normally a pick up scam. It is usually an associate that picks up the property and leaves with it. Once the check doesn't clear they are long gone. It is normally reserved for high value items they can turn around quickly or will use themselves.

The smart ones don't keep the items around but fortunately for us most crooks aren't all that bright. The smart ones are exponentially more difficult to make a case on.

Once the scam of sending additional money stopped working they switched over to things like this which work much better and more often.

Some of the scams are pretty impressive. I know a detective on a public assistance fraud team and they do a couple big sweeps every year. Each time the seizures to go along with criminal charges ranks in the six figures.

Joe

Rick Lucrezi
01-31-2009, 11:41 PM
Had an older VW listed on Craigslist, got an email from a guy in Florida, said he would pay full price, wanted mail address and would send a check. He sent full price plus the extra for the guy who was going to pick the car up, asked me to pay him from the extra. I took the check to the bank it was written from. I told them it seemed fishy, they checked the account and stated it was a good check from a real account but said there is a note to contact someone if the check amount exceeds 5000. They tried for a week to get someone and had no response. I chose not to cash it and never heard back from the guy. I later read that it was a big scam.

Mark Rios
02-01-2009, 12:28 PM
FYI, just asking your bank if the check is good is not enough. As has been mentioned, it may in fact be a real check but may have been forged, altered and/or copied. These checks can take up to 6 weeks to come back as frauds or invalid. By that time you have most likely spent the money long ago and now have to make up the amount of the check PLUS any checks you have written against the funds PLUS any overdraft/returned check fees.

These kind of "deals" or "offers" are ALWAYS scams.

Larry Bratton
02-01-2009, 2:49 PM
I get those things all the time from the Craigslist advertising I have been doing. I just ignore them. Got one last week on a truck I had advertised. On stuff like that, I insist on the person coming to my place to look at the item. I can then get a feel for who I'm dealing with. Those scammers obviously aren't coming to my place....sooo..regardless of what they offer I ignore. Cash is my byword. I did sell a moulder to guy in Florida not long ago, but he was totally legitimate and it worked out well. I am very skeptical about "cashier's" checks.

Mark Rios
02-03-2009, 9:52 AM
http://www.timesanddemocrat.com/articles/2009/02/02/news/13457180.txt

Craig D Peltier
02-03-2009, 11:09 AM

Whenever I post something on Craigslist, I put something at the bottom to the effect that "Scammers need not apply--no, I won't take a check and send you the difference". I also always put in the ad that I'll only take cash at the time of pickup. I figure I'll say right up front that I'm not falling for it. It seems to work because I don't get these types of messages, or maybe GMail is getting rid of them for me. The other thing that seems to work is pricing the item to move fast so they don't even get a chance.

I find that its " bots" Computer programs that find high dollar amount items and have a general script that gets auto sent. Then if you respond you will get someone live. So for the most part on the scams I get ,this wouldnt work.

Neal Clayton
02-03-2009, 11:33 AM
and i had myself all worked up over finally getting to meet the wife's third cousin's brother of the former prime minister of nigeria, so he could hand me my millions. you guys are ruining my buzz :rolleyes:

Paul Simmel
02-19-2009, 2:13 PM
Here's another one! The exact wording copied from the email, for a corner cabinet I am selling on Craigslist. Check the grammar and sentence structure. I'm sure this guy in over seas somewhere (with chickens on his desk with a big fat cigar in his face!)

Is this a riot, or what...

-=-=-=-

Thanks for your prompt response to my inquiry,i am really interested in buying it and i would love to come and check it myself but i will be traveling out of the state next tomorrow for an urgent conference which will be held in Canada.i will be handling the purchase of the item now to my secretary,please do withdraw the advert from Web i wont mind instructing her to add $20 for you to do that,so i would be rest assured that the item is held for me.I should believe it is in good condition as stated and seen in your ads.I will be making the payment via a Certified Check which my secretary will send across to you,I have my Mover.He will be coming to Pick it up from you once the Certified Check has been cashed. Please provide me with your First name:Last name:Physical address along with your phone number to issue out the payment.I will also give u a call personally as soon as i receive your details.
Regards.

Chris Padilla
02-19-2009, 3:00 PM
Ca$h is King.