PDA

View Full Version : Leigh D1600 dovetail jig.

Chris Konikowski
01-27-2009, 11:41 AM
Anyone know anything about the Leigh D1600 jig? Why was it discontinued? Can you still readily get parts for it if anything goes wrong.

I read some tool reviews and they all say it works great, but I was a little concerned about it being discontinued.

I found a used one that seems to be a decent price. That is why I am asking.

Dan Bertenthal
01-27-2009, 12:37 PM
I had been looking at this one when they were closing it out a year and a half ago, but waited too long to jump on it. It's basically a scaled-down version of the D4 models, though you don't have quite as many templates available for it (which may or may not matter to you). I assume they discontinued it because it probably cost them almost as much to produce as the D4s while they couldn't charge nearly as much, and because they were planning to roll-out their less-expensive line of Superjigs. I believe it has a few advantages over the Superjigs but don't take my word for it--machined from a single piece of aluminum with machined-in end stops rather than composite add-on end stops, [OKAY--AFTER READING CHARLEY'S POST, I LOOKED AT LEIGH'S WEBSITE AND REALIZED TWO OTHER THINGS I THOUGHT WERE DIFFERENT WERE ESSENTIALLY THE SAME...].
I'd contact Leigh directly to see if they still have other parts available. Even if they don't make them anymore, they could still have backstock in inventory. I imagine the router bits are the same as the D4R, and even if they're not, there's a good chance that someone still makes them (I use Whiteside bits for my Superjig). Also, check Woodcraft and Rockler's websites. I recall seeing some closeout parts not too long ago.
Personally I'm a big fan of the Superjig and think that Leigh did an excellent job in bringing down the cost while still keeping most of the functionality, but if you've got a good deal on the D1600 I'd definitely continue doing your research since it seems to be a great jig.
d

Charles Lent
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
The D1600 is basically the same design as their new Super Jigs, only a different length, so the wear/damage replacement parts that fit these jigs should fit your jig too. Leigh has always supported their products better than any other company that I know of, so I don't think that there's any need to worry about getting future replacement parts for your 1600. I think that the only reason that it was discontinued is because they came out with the three super jigs of similar design and decided not to offer it in the 16" size anymore.

If you want further assurance on this, and an informed answer for your question of why it was discontinued, e-mail their customer support people at leigh@leighjigs.com .

Charley
A satisfied D4R and FMT owner