PDA

View Full Version : wood storage question

curtis rosche
01-27-2009, 10:49 AM
well i was told i need to get all of my wood out of the garage and house. but i dont want anything to rot or become weathered and more cracked. would putting the peices in a large plastic tub and then fillining it with wood shavings work for storage outside?

Don Orr
01-27-2009, 12:02 PM
That sounds like a reasonable idea to me. Maybe try to keep it out of direct sun too.

Steve Busey
01-27-2009, 12:12 PM
Curtis,

First, I have to say I admire your perseverance in face of all the challenges you meet up with on the homefront in keeping your hobby going!

A plastic tub might work, but I'm thinking in terms of a heavy duty rubber trash can. One of those lightweight plastic storage bins would degrade faster in the elements. The only drawback to a trashcan is that someone might try to use it for trash! :eek:

Any chance of getting permission to store your wood in the lightweight storage bins inside the garage?

Dustin Cranford
01-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Could you store it in the attic? Don't know if that's a real good idea, but atleast it's not taking up space in the garage and not rotting outside.

Thomas Bank
01-27-2009, 1:10 PM
Depending on the length of the items, another option would be PVC pipes with endcaps for longer items.

Jim Kountz
01-27-2009, 1:12 PM
How about one of those tall plastic storage cabinets from the borg, they have large doors and you can latch them shut keeping out the weather.

Jim Becker
01-27-2009, 8:48 PM
Curtis, the tub is fine as long as it's loosely covered...you don't want water/rain/ice/snow to collect in there, but you also don't want it sealed as it will cause excessive moisture to collect. That may encourage "critters" as well as excessive spalting/rot issues. You could also build an open rack for the stuff to sit on, although that might not be as pretty...

curtis rosche
01-28-2009, 3:14 PM
dustin, the attic already has 1000+ bdft of oak and cherry drying. no room and we dont think that it will hold much more weight

curtis rosche
01-28-2009, 3:14 PM
the trashcans sound like a better idea. either that or maybe i can find a cheap cheap shed on craigslist