PDA

View Full Version : Steel City lathe - vs or granite 5spd ?????

Barb Becker
01-27-2009, 8:27 AM
I'm new to turning and have just about decided to go with a Steel City mini lathe!

Would appreciate any suggestions on whether to get their Model 60100 VS or the new Model 60170G granite 5spd. Don't know that I've seen too many posts on how difficult the Steel City belts are to change.

Also, if anyone has suggestions for good companies to buy from?? I've checked many of the distributors listed on the Steel City site and they don't seem to carry their lathes.

Thanks!

Barb

Ken Higginbotham
01-27-2009, 8:38 AM
Where are you located? Highland in Atlanta should carry them.

John Williamson
01-27-2009, 9:11 AM
I bought the 60100 a few months ago from Woodworkers Supply when they were offering free shipping. The first one arrived with the bed cracked in half. A quick call and another unit was shipped out no questions asked and they issued a call tag to pick up the bad one. Great service and the problem was taken care of quickly.

So far the unit has done a great job and I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. I like the VS on the unit but you still need to make a belt change to go between the upper and lower speed ranges. The belt is an easy switch.

http://woodworker.com/cgi-bin/FULLPRES.exe?PARTNUM=060-100&search=Steel%20City&smode=

Barb Becker
01-27-2009, 10:40 AM
Where are you located? Highland in Atlanta should carry them.

I'm in Maryland - had checked the Highland web site but didn't see any Steel City lathes (their 2007 catalog that we have only has Rikon & Oneway). Woodcraft is listed as a SC distributor but no lathes on their web site either. Actually was wondering why these guys DON'T carry the SC lathes, but carry other SC stuff . . .

May just go with Woodworkers supply as John suggested. (I'd actually considered the Woodtek lathe too but with so many companies going out of business not sure that I'd feel comfortable with that one even though I know they've been in business a LONG time.)

Thanks for your help!!

Barb

Ken Higginbotham
01-27-2009, 10:44 AM
I just bought a SC table saw and through Highland dealt with the SC regional Rep. If you'd like I could research it a bit more...

Edit: Just spoke with Highland and they said the SC lathes aren't avail yet. But they would have them when they come out in March/April...

Barb Becker
01-27-2009, 11:08 AM
I just bought a SC table saw and through Highland dealt with the SC regional Rep. If you'd like I could research it a bit more...

Edit: Just spoke with Highland and they said the SC lathes aren't avail yet. But they would have them when they come out in March/April...

Thanks for checking Ken!! Not sure I can wait till March/April - thought about rigging up the drill press to turn some pens but figure I'd just end up killing myself with that setup in the hands of a novice. :eek:

John Thompson
01-27-2009, 1:16 PM
Barb.. even though your local Woodcraft doesn't carry the lathe in stock.. any SC distributor can order it. Or.. Woodworkers Supply is a very reliable source who backs what they do as does Steel City itself. I do some field testing of machines for Steel City and you will find they stand behind their machiines and customer service and tech support are great.

So.. you have options to consider but I just got an update from Jim Box who heads technical on all the estismated arrival times for new machines. I won't post the whole list but here is the estimated (and estimated can vary with coming across water and time spent before inspection in port.. etc.. etc..) time for the granite lathe.

Hope this helps...

60170G
Granite 5 Speed Mini Lathe (FEBRUARY DELIVERY)

Sarge..

Barb Becker
01-27-2009, 5:58 PM
Barb.. even though your local Woodcraft doesn't carry the lathe in stock.. any SC distributor can order it. Or.. Woodworkers Supply is a very reliable source who backs what they do as does Steel City itself. I do some field testing of machines for Steel City and you will find they stand behind their machiines and customer service and tech support are great.

So.. you have options to consider but I just got an update from Jim Box who heads technical on all the estismated arrival times for new machines. I won't post the whole list but here is the estimated (and estimated can vary with coming across water and time spent before inspection in port.. etc.. etc..) time for the granite lathe.

Hope this helps...

60170G

Granite 5 Speed Mini Lathe (FEBRUARY DELIVERY)

Sarge..

Wow, February would be GREAT!! Is the granite 5 speed really the way to go?? (I think their special offer is for $319)

Worth a short wait or should I go with the SC 60100VS for $250 ???? For a total turning novice is the VS better or stick with the 5spd and the granite stability??

:confused::confused:

Thanks for your help!!!

Barb

alex carey
01-27-2009, 6:03 PM
my vote is with VS.

patricia stein
01-27-2009, 6:52 PM
barb woodcraft in towson can order one for you.

John Thompson
01-27-2009, 7:08 PM
Wow, February would be GREAT!! Is the granite 5 speed really the way to go?? (I think their special offer is for $319)

Worth a short wait or should I go with the SC 60100VS for $250 ???? For a total turning novice is the VS better or stick with the 5spd and the granite stability??

:confused::confused:

Thanks for your help!!!

Barb

Barb.. I have been wood butchering for 37 years but... I am not a turner. From listening to others that do.. most seem to like the VS. But.. do not take my word about a lathe as that is just the drift I get? There should be other turners here that can better advise you on the matter.

I am considering the SC black granite lathe as it it not really a mini lathe. Not a full size and not a mine but somewhere in between which I consider to be more versatile than just a mini as I do furniture. It is very heavy having a granite bed and very stable therefore.

But.. please get help from an experienced turner as it just isn't my forte at this point. If you need help with machines I can do that as I do some demonstration for SC and field test the WW machines. But.. not the lathe as I simply don't qualify to test something I know little about.

Good luck..

Sarge..

David Christopher
01-27-2009, 7:17 PM
Get the VS, you will never regret it

Jim Becker
01-27-2009, 8:43 PM
VS in a heartbeat....

Welcome to the 'Creek, Barb!

Aaron Wingert
01-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Although granite gets points for "cool factor", I'd opt for VS every time. I cannot imagine not having VS on my lathe! It gives you such a wide range of speeds that you otherwise would not have, especially on the low end.

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
01-28-2009, 3:56 AM
Look real hard at the Jet 1220vs. it served me well.

Richard..

Richard A. Rivera, M.D.
01-28-2009, 3:59 AM
Look real hard at the Jet 1220vs. Alittle bigger and 3/4 hp. It has servred me well.

Richard

Peter Lamb
01-28-2009, 8:19 AM
I believe there is an AAW chapter near you. Before you buy you may wish to attend make contact,attend a meeting and chat with the members, Much to be learned from chapter activities and pitfalls to avoid.
Peter

Dean Thomas
01-31-2009, 2:52 PM
Doc Richard's point was sufficiently important that it needed to be said twice! ;)

If you're biting lip about the extra bucks for the VS instead of the belt changes, be assured that the belt changes really are not that big a deal. HOWEVER, that being said, 500rpm is the slowest speed on the Granite. That is not slow, actually. Yes, we've all grown accustomed to it, but it's better in my mind to have the option of slowER for sanding and roughing severely out of balance pieces.

If you go the extra bucks and still afford a couple of tools to get started with, by all means do the VS.

And I offer a strong second to the "get to your local AAW chapter meetings". You will learn so very much more, so very much quicker when you have someone to show you and help you work through the beginner stoopids. We all had/have 'em and it helps SO much to have an experienced turner watch what you're doing and make adjustments to technique and mindset. When someone points your tool in the correct direction and the cut suddenly becomes "like buttah", your jaw drops in awe that it could be that much easier.

Oh, one last bit of advice, sharpen early and often. Listen to the cut, pay attention to the amount of pressure (left to right) needed to make a cut. When it changes, sharpen. Make it a rule.

Pictures soon, right? :cool:

Barb Becker
01-31-2009, 9:50 PM
Doc Richard's point was sufficiently important that it needed to be said twice! ;)

If you're biting lip about the extra bucks for the VS instead of the belt changes, be assured that the belt changes really are not that big a deal. HOWEVER, that being said, 500rpm is the slowest speed on the Granite. That is not slow, actually. Yes, we've all grown accustomed to it, but it's better in my mind to have the option of slowER for sanding and roughing severely out of balance pieces.

If you go the extra bucks and still afford a couple of tools to get started with, by all means do the VS.

And I offer a strong second to the "get to your local AAW chapter meetings". You will learn so very much more, so very much quicker when you have someone to show you and help you work through the beginner stoopids. We all had/have 'em and it helps SO much to have an experienced turner watch what you're doing and make adjustments to technique and mindset. When someone points your tool in the correct direction and the cut suddenly becomes "like buttah", your jaw drops in awe that it could be that much easier.

Oh, one last bit of advice, sharpen early and often. Listen to the cut, pay attention to the amount of pressure (left to right) needed to make a cut. When it changes, sharpen. Make it a rule.

Pictures soon, right? :cool:

Thanks to everyone for all the excellent suggestions!! There is certainly more to this hobby than I imagined.

Looks like there are several clubs in my area so will be heading for a local AAW meeting to learn from the experts!! I still have a couple books coming from Amazon but agree that having someone look over your shoulder is probably much more beneficial.

Will post photos of my first turnings for sure! ;)

Gordon Seto
01-31-2009, 10:50 PM
I would wait till the new 60170G comes out with more detail specs.
If it is a re-packaged 60170, I would pass.
5 speeds:
500, 1,300, 2,100, 2,750, 3,600 RPM speeds.
The gap between the slowest speed and the next is 2.60 times. That is no good for turning bowls. The high speed range is too crowded.
According to
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/woodturners/Images/safe_lathe_speeds.pdf
The second speed tops out for a 7" bowl.

The Jet 1014 & 1220 lathe speeds:
500, 840, 1240, 1800, 2630, 3975 RPM
Rikon Midi:
Manual Settings: 430; 810; 1,230; 1,810; 2,670; 3,900 rpm
They are more user friendly.
My favorite is the Jet 1220 VS which starts at 200 rpm
With a slower minimum speed, it can handle the slightly unbalanced bowl blank safer.

Jamie Cowan
01-31-2009, 11:56 PM
I bought the Steel City VS lathe last summer, and I love it. I used it nearly every day until this month when the garage finally got too cold. Love the VS ability, though you still have to move the belt to get to the higher speeds, which I almost never use anyway. Wore out a belt after about 3 months, probably had too much tension on it. Steel City sent me another one, no questions, no charge. Pretty easy to replace with an Allen wrench and a rubber mallet. Five year warranty helped me to decide on the purchase. Also, the price can't be beat. When every other lathe I was looking at jumped in price in June, this one didn't. Can't wait for warmer weather so I can get back out there.