PDA

View Full Version : Looking for tips on trimming width off of curved table apron

Leisa Flynn
01-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Hi, I have a 56" diameter bentwood table apron in two halves. I need to trim it from 5 inches to 4 inches in height. Any hints on accomplishing this on a table saw? Maybe a band saw?

Any hints appreciated!

Leisa

David DeCristoforo
01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
A high fence and a steady hand are needed on the table saw. But "the best" way is to put it through a planer. You can easily "spin" the apron through the planer. You may be surprised how easy it is and it's way safer than trying to rip a large semi circle on a table saw.

Leisa Flynn
01-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Ah!!! Great thinking! Brilliant. Also a good excuse to buy a planer. That is something I do not have in my home shop but I have been wanting one for years. Now it is a safety issue! Thanks so much!

Leisa

Clint deal
01-27-2009, 11:06 AM
Where are you located? Maybe a member that lives close to you has a planer and would be happy to help you?
clint

Leisa Flynn
01-27-2009, 1:43 PM
Anyone out there have a planer they can let me use for a bit. I used the large floor model one at Lively for about 12 years... but alas, that is gone now.

Rod Sheridan
01-27-2009, 2:41 PM
Well, I was going to offer, however I doubt if I want to drive over to my place.

Davids idea is the correct one, if you can bandsaw it slightly over sized, there's less planing to do.......Rod.

Leisa Flynn
01-27-2009, 3:27 PM
yes, Canada is a bit far away. Bandsaw was my first thought.

john bateman
01-27-2009, 4:51 PM
Maybe use a jig saw, then a handplane to clean up the cut. Then put the cut side wherever it's most inconspicuous on the final product.
If you used an edge guide (fence) on the jig saw, it should come out pretty straight.