PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0440 Cyclone

Mike Thomas
01-26-2009, 9:35 PM
Just picked up a Grizzly G0440 Cyclone second hand this evening. It has been assembled but never used. The wiring still does not have a plug on it. I bought the Cyclone, stand, and noise reducer for $700. Is this a good value?

For those of you who are running this dust collector I have several questions. What is the best way to mount it for noise, vibration, etc? Wall mount? Stand mount? I could do either. Do you recommend using the dust bag kit in the dust bin?

For duct work, the inlet is 7". So is it best to use 7" pipe for the trunk line?

Jack Mincey
01-27-2009, 7:58 AM
This link should help you with duct Q's.
http://www.oneida-air.com/files/Ductwork%20Design%20&%20Order%20Form%202hp%20&%20Under%2010-06.pdf
Jack

Gary Chester
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Hey Mike,

I have the same collector, I bought it back in November before the prices jumped... so in terms of todays prices you got a good deal.

As far as mounting, I wanted to mount mine to the wall 'cause it "looks cool"... but I chose to built a stand to isolate the noise and vibration. The unit is loud... but it's a soft loud, it's some of the tools you connect it to that really make the racket.

I ran about 6' of straight 7" pipe out of the collector as it helps the separation in the cyclone and then went to 6" S&D all the way to the tools. I built all my own gates which was easy.

I don't have one, but the dust bag sounds like it would make clean up way too easy.

I haven't done a gloat with pitcures... yet, but others have... do a search, you'll find lots of good info.

Michael Sobik
01-27-2009, 2:18 PM
I stuck mine on the wall to save a little $ and space. It's a pain, but I think it was worth it. I don't run the bag in the bin, but have been thinking about buying some. I haven't found any bags that fit at the local home centers, and really don't want to get stuck having to order them from Grizzly all the time.

I also ran about 6' of 7" pipe out of the inlet, and then dropped down to 6" SD for the rest of the system.

McMaster has some really nice 6" blast gates for $15 item # 1788K14.

Mike Thomas
01-27-2009, 9:19 PM
Gary & Michael, if space were not a concern and you already had the stand would you still choose to wall mount? I am more concerned about noise and vibration.

Jack, thanks for the link.

glenn bradley
01-27-2009, 9:55 PM
I installed mine just this month. If you have the stand and have the room, use the stand. This will isolate most of your noise transfer. Mine is wall mounted but, I live alone. For the reduction from 7" to 6" I used a 6" to 6" S&D coupler which fits the Griz opening really well. A small bead of silicone and all is well.

The ground wire resolves the static discharge problem I have in our dry weather. I am in the camp that sees no danger from PVC static in the home shop. The mild discharge was 'almost' annoying, I had some wire and so ran it and clipped it to some metallic tape stuck right to the concrete; problem solved. The wire does not have to be bare. Behind all the smoke and mirrors, you just have to provide a path to ground that is closer than you are :D.

6" S&D (ASTM 2729) is light, strong and inexpensive. I did all my ducting for well under $200 and have two 10' pipes leftover. I did already have the gates and hose so that helped on the cost.

Mike Thomas
01-27-2009, 10:32 PM
Thanks Glenn. Where did you get you pipe and connections? It's PVC?

glenn bradley
01-27-2009, 11:09 PM
Thanks Glenn. Where did you get you pipe and connections? It's PVC?

I got mine from these folks (http://www.horizononline.com/). They were recommended by a gent on another forum and they were almost half the price of anyone else in my area and they are across the country. My dad went schd 40 and it was way overkill; very heavy and costly. Thanks to the many folks here who have run ASTM 2729 for years without issue and shared their experiences, I went that way.

It is PVC and the wyes and 45's are schd 40 I believe. I avoided the styrene for no particular reason other than that it felt lightweight. It is probably fine but the price difference was nil.

One good thing is that the couplers are the same for the many types of pipe as the outer dimension remains pretty constant; the thicker walls have smaller inside dimensions. If you have trouble finding some of the couplers you want, I found great prices here (https://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(xzjkcsi5ho4q3x550c4crw3o)/ProductDetails.aspx?SKU=4037958) of all places.

Jim O'Dell
01-27-2009, 11:10 PM
Mike, try Horizon. They have places all over. I've heard they have good prices, and good selection. There is one here in Ft. Worth, but I haven't been to them yet. I found out about them after I had my current set up. http://www.horizononline.com/
Check prices on the fittings against McMaster/Carr online: http://www.mcmaster.com/#plastic-pipe-fittings-and-pipe/=clesp They are limited in what they offer, but decent prices, fair (honest) shipping, and very fast service. Especially when I could find pipe locally, but no fittings except for one Lowes.
Good luck with your install. Nice find on the cyclone. Jim.

Rick Moyer
01-28-2009, 7:27 AM
Unless you happen to live in Texas or Georgia, everything else is west of Texas. Nothing in the Midwest or Northeast anywhere, according to their map. I had hoped to maybe find one close to me, no luck!

mike thomas01
01-30-2009, 10:24 PM
Just picked up a Grizzly G0440 Cyclone second hand this evening. It has been assembled but never used. The wiring still does not have a plug on it. I bought the Cyclone, stand, and noise reducer for $700. Is this a good value?

For those of you who are running this dust collector I have several questions. What is the best way to mount it for noise, vibration, etc? Wall mount? Stand mount? I could do either. Do you recommend using the dust bag kit in the dust bin?

For duct work, the inlet is 7". So is it best to use 7" pipe for the trunk line?

Not a clue about your dust collector, but you've got a damn fine name!

Mike Thomas
01-31-2009, 9:46 AM
Yeah, I know. Pretty common. I remember once a long time ago when I was in college and some flake named Mike Thomas didn't pay his bill at the book store and it caused me all kinds of grief.

Jim Kirkpatrick
01-31-2009, 9:49 AM
I installed mine just this month. If you have the stand and have the room, use the stand. This will isolate most of your noise transfer. Mine is wall mounted but, I live alone. For the reduction from 7" to 6" I used a 6" to 6" S&D coupler which fits the Griz opening really well. A small bead of silicone and all is well.

The ground wire resolves the static discharge problem I have in our dry weather. I am in the camp that sees no danger from PVC static in the home shop. The mild discharge was 'almost' annoying, I had some wire and so ran it and clipped it to some metallic tape stuck right to the concrete; problem solved. The wire does not have to be bare. Behind all the smoke and mirrors, you just have to provide a path to ground that is closer than you are :D.

6" S&D (ASTM 2729) is light, strong and inexpensive. I did all my ducting for well under $200 and have two 10' pipes leftover. I did already have the gates and hose so that helped on the cost.

Glenn, Shouldn't that be bare copper wire wrapped around the duct?