PDA

View Full Version : New forum member and unisaw owner

Chris Kehl
01-26-2009, 9:31 PM
Everyone,

I've been poking around the site the last couple of days, reading and enjoying everyone's posts. I am a novice woodworker, and I look forward to learning from everyone on the site. I've dabbled here and there, but now finally have the time and means to take it more seriously. I've had a craftsman 10" contractor saw for a few years and it has served me well, but finally found a unisaw at a decent price, and talked the boss (wife)into it. I've been looking at them for some time and trying to become somewhat knowledgable before I bought one. I'm from the Indianapolis area, and found one near South Bend at good price compared to others, and it came with a Vega fence and some other goodies, blades tenoning jig etc. Needless to say I jumped on the opportunity and drove 3 hrs to get it. Once I got it home I got it all set up and started to check it out. I still think I got a good deal, but here are some of my concerns, once I got it home I noticed it's only running on a single belt. The motor pulley that should have three grooves only has one. I noticed that the moter looked newer than everything else, but just thought it had been replaced with one that really fits. On closer inspection of the motor, it's a Sears 1 HP motor. And it appears that a previous owner has fabricated a bracket to mount it. All this said, the saw works, and seems to run well. Of course I've never used one before, so I really don't have anything to compare it to. The rest of the saw is in really good shape, the table is clean, the tilt and raise wheels turn freely and have the locking knobs. I guess I'm looking for suggestions as to whether I should use it as is for now, or should I fix it up right. I'm just afraid the wife will kick me to garage permanently if I tell her I need to spend another $400 on the correct motor and brackets etc. after spending $600 on the saw. My main concern is safety. Want to be around to make sawdust for a lot longer!!! Thanks! Sorry that was a little longer than I intended. :)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/index.php

Paul Steiner
01-26-2009, 9:59 PM
Welcome to SMC! There are a few things that need to be done to fix your situation. First take your wife out of your purchasing loop. Find a way to keep her out of your tool decisions. Deciding on machines, motors, etc. etc. should be all you, unless your wife will be using it too. This can be difficult, the deal I have made with my wife is that she gets a coach purse when I buy a machine.
Next I would find out if you can take the saw back.
If not find the motor and fix it. A motor and parts can be found cheaper than you think on Ebay, OWWM, CL and this site also. You could post what parts you need in classifieds and negotiate a price.

Chris Kehl
01-26-2009, 10:05 PM
Paul,

Thanks for the reply, I like th coach purse idea;). As far as the saw goes, I don't think taking it back is an option. So it sounds like I need to start looking for a correct motor and pulley. there is a woodworking show in Indy this weekend, I'm hoping to find some parts while I'm there. I'll be sure to educate myself before I go. Thanks again for the advice.

Simon Dupay
01-26-2009, 10:15 PM
how old is the uni? a lot of the old ones came with a HP motor you should be able to just use one belt.

Randy Breeding
01-26-2009, 10:20 PM
Chris. As I am a rookie firewood maker myself, I cant offer any advice on the unisaw. I can say this is a good place to get info. Just wanted to say howdy to a fellow hoosier....Welcome aboard.

Brent Smith39
01-26-2009, 10:26 PM
My uni is from 1948 with a 1.5 HP 3 phase motor, it is not uncommon for people to replace a 3 phase with a single phase motor. I'm guessing your's was replaced and a special bracket was made for the motor. The problem is the old unisaw's motor opening in the cabinet gets in the way with the newer motors, and the uni takes a special motor bracket, so replacement motors can be pricey. Is there any safety concerns with the new braket?

About the single belt, there is some discussion about that also, basically the thought is that new belts are better made then those years ago, and only one is needed. I would give it a try, if the belt spins under load, then more belts could be added on.

Good luck.

David Christopher
01-26-2009, 10:32 PM
If it sounds OK and it runs smooth and looks secure you should be OK for a little while. but I would change the motor and put the triple pulleys back on and then you will have a very good and safe saw that will last forever

I bought a old uni that had a 3 phase motor and I bought a 5 HP motor and machined triple pulleys from grizzly fairly cheap. the motor that fits their 10" saw was a direct fit... no rigging just bolt it on

Chris Kehl
01-26-2009, 10:35 PM
I'm not sure how old it is, that is something else I was hoping everyone here could help me figure out. I'm going to try to attach some pictures of the tags, we'll see how that goes.

Mike Goetzke
01-26-2009, 10:40 PM
I agree with the other posters. You probably want to put it back into a real Uni state but if it runs fine and the motor/bracket seem sturdy/secure/safe and don't interfere with anything use it. I used a 15amp/115v bench top type TS with a universal motor for almost 15 years and never had a problem. I now own a newer 3HP Uni and really appreciate the added mass/power.

Maybe some pics would be helpful - maybe even goatworthy:D.

Mike

Brent Smith39
01-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Not sure which serial number to use, from the pictures it looks like serial numbers: 34-450 and FX1419

This site describes how to read the serial numbers

http://wiki.owwm.com/Default.aspx?Page=DeltaSerialNumbers

Chris Kehl
01-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks to everyone for the input. The bracket seems to be ok, I don't think it's going anywhere. I'll probably end up using it how it is for now, and keep on the look out for the bigger motor and parts at a bargain.;)

Mark Boyette
01-26-2009, 10:44 PM
I'm with David.. if it's secured ok just use it for now. Make sure the belt isn't too tight otherwise it might wear out bearings. I would look into changing it out in the future. If it's an old unisaw then it's worth it.
do you know the year?
you can find out with the serial # at this site.
http://wiki.owwm.com/(X(1)S(mn4ckrn0nu34i1jaacrbyhaw))/Default.aspx?Page=DeltaSerialNumbers&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1
I have a 1964 I got from my work. This thing was used heavily every day for 45 years and still works perfect. Motor finally changed out from original 5 years ago.
Bottom line is those old unisaw are absolute workhorses.
Keep us posted.
Mark.

Chris Kehl
01-26-2009, 10:53 PM
I'll try to get some pictures posted soon. We just recently moved, so I'm in the process of setting up my new shop. Unfortunately I'm waiting on the ground to thaw enought to get power and heat to it. I'm sick of extension cords, can't wait till I can just flip a switch and have lights in the shop.

Chris Kehl
01-26-2009, 11:03 PM
If I'm understanding the list correctly, FX 1419 would fall into 1973.

Chip Lindley
01-27-2009, 5:07 AM
Hi Chris, Welcome to SMC! You got *burned* some, but not too badly. It would be my best guess that the original motor was 3-phase, and unusable for the previous owner. He replaced it with the Sears motor and single pulley.

If your saw runs smoothly just keep using it for now. You do not have the power that a 3hp or 5hp motor would give, but you do not need the 3 belts for 1hp either! You never said if the magnetic starter is still on the saw. That would be in a metal box on the back of saw cabinet. A cord would run to the momentary on/off pushbutton on the front of saw. You will need that if it is missing, for use with a larger motor, along with the 3-1/2" dia. 3/4" bore, triple sheave motor pulley.

Enjoy your saw now while you look for the stuff you need to make it a *REAL UNISAW*! Good luck!

Chris Kehl
01-27-2009, 9:58 AM
Everyone,

I was able to take some pictures of the saw this morning before I left home...

Rod Sheridan
01-27-2009, 11:25 AM
Hi Chris, welcome to the forum.

It looks like you have a nice saw there.

In my opinion the first two priorities for you are;

- get a guard and splitter for the saw immediately. Owners often take the guards off, so one of the people on this forum may even have one for you. If not check out an Excalibur overarm guard or equivalent, and purchase or make a splitter for the saw.

You don't want to bleed all over your new saw, or have your wife start calling you stumpy.

- dust collection, for your health, and your family as well, wood dust is a known carcinogen, purchase the best collector you can afford, and until then, wear a dust mask and work outside if possible

I wouldn't worry about the 1 HP motor, with a well tuned saw and a sharp blade you'll be just fine. I had a 1.25 HP saw for a decade and it ripped 8/4 white oak no problem with a standard kerf ripping blade.

The only issue with your motor is that it's an open frame type as opposed to a TEFC (Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled) so the motor will get sawdust inside it. The occasional blowing out with low pressure compressed air will help the motor cooling and increase the motor life.

Have fun with your saw.......Now you and your wife can purchase blades, tenon jigs, push sticks etc....The fun is just beginning.

Regards, Rod.

Joe Von Kaenel
01-27-2009, 12:23 PM
Chris,

Welcome to SMC, these folks are very knowledgeable and helpful. Have fun with woodworking.

Joe

Chris Kehl
01-27-2009, 12:28 PM
Rod,

Thanks for the advice with the motor, I did not realize that. I am happy to report that the saw did come with a blade guard, I just have not put it on yet. Another good point with the dust collector, it's on my list. Hopefully I can afford one very soon.

Paul Steiner
01-29-2009, 7:42 PM
Chris,
Nice looking saw! If it works use it! But I am willing to bet that eventually you will want more power. Here is a suggestion find your local electric motor repair/supplier and tell him of your situation. A new motor would be a special order. But in his travels he might find a used one for you.
This worked for a friend of mine.

Rollie Meyers
01-29-2009, 9:51 PM
There was a vendor selling a adapter plate to mount a standard motor in a Unisaw, who was selling it I dunno......