PDA

View Full Version : Any one remember that tree limb I cut that knocked me...

Jim O'Dell
01-26-2009, 8:58 PM
off the ladder while I had the chainsaw running in my hands a couple years ago?
I had it in chunks outside by the garage. With losing power for about 6 1/2 hours today, and the threat of ice tomorrow and Wed, I needed some bigger pieces of wood to burn than the 2" dead fall I've been burning. So I took 3 chunks that ranged from 8" to 11" in diameter to the band saw. I figured it would be much easier, less waste, and I could do it inside the shop instead of outside with the chainsaw, if I could even get it started.
This is what I found: 108220 I sliced a thin (1/4") slice off one of the cut pieces to keep in the shop. It's reddish with a cream sapwood. Not heavy hardwood, but I don't get much indention with my thumbnail. We were told that it is Cedar Elm, but I really have no idea. I'm going to keep one chunk and play with making a bandsaw box. I think it might finish out and look kind of interesting.
Well, the next tree that has to come down is a pear tree. Wonder what that will look like? ;) Jim.

Scott Rollins
01-26-2009, 9:36 PM
Split firewood is a strange thing...one minute its firewood the next its wow look at that quartersawn figure...can i save that piece?

Jason Beam
01-26-2009, 10:25 PM
I have a few bits of pear - it's fantastic looking stuff. Intermingled swirls of red and light cream colored wood. I'd compare it in density to cedar, which is probably a little less dense, but not much. Hardness isn't bad - about like you describe. It's still drying but when it's ready I have a handful of penblanks to play with :D

Richard M. Wolfe
01-26-2009, 11:40 PM
Can't really tell you what it is, Jim, but I'd say cedar elm it isn't. Cedar elm is as hard as nails; it falls into the rock elm category. And it makes real good firewood. Over at De Leon I know a guy who said he sold 900 cords of cedar elm firewood off his place. I saw the place - river bottom - and the cleared acreage and I would believe it.

Alex Shanku
01-27-2009, 8:30 AM
Ive got some stuff that looks like that that I took of an old jobsite. It was dunnage for a metal building that was shipped in.

Anyway, I was told it was most likely hackberry. Stuff was dense and heavy though. They are dead ringers, looks-wise.

Cody Colston
01-27-2009, 9:15 AM
Definitely an Elm...looks like Red Elm to me. I've turned a bunch of it and even sliced some short logs into 4/4 planks. The spalting can be pretty dramatic and I see yours is displaying some. The atached pic is a box I made from spalted Red Elm. The trim is Mesquite.