PDA

View Full Version : Now we're cookin'! (Gloat & Pics)

John Miliunas
06-29-2004, 11:43 PM
After waiting for just a little over a week, the DJ-20 is here! I even took the day "off" in honor of it! :D It came in this morning and I had them "drop" it at a local business with shipping docks. Three packages: The base w/motor, the mobile base kit and the jointer itself. We loaded it on my buddy's trailer and then the "fun" began. The base w/motor isn't really that heavy and the mobile kit was ready to go, with only the lever wheel needing to be installed. The motor was mounted in the base, but only for transportation. I removed it and located it on the proper mounting brackets.

Next, I moved on to the jointer/bed. After prying the box open, I removed all the accessories (fence, hardware, etc...), as well as the cosmoline. A little paint thinner made quick work of that. Now, how in the heck was I supposed to get that monster on to the base? My "usual" helper pooped out on me and LOML's back isn't the best. After some thought, I put leverage to work for me. I muscled the unit off the packing base stops, until I got it to the end of the trailer. Then a floor jack, lifting the back end up until it was close to the height of the base. A sturdy piece of ply as a ramp and I was able to coax it on to the base. :D I wasn't going to try and get the plywood out from under it by myself, so LOML and LOML JR was enlisted to help. Jill and I only needed to lift it an inch or so, while my daughter slid the ply out. Worked great! :D

The assembly was pretty straightforward, though I did find myself spending a LOT of time getting the fence and its mount properly aligned. In the shop, I disconnected the duct for the Grizz 6"-er and moved it out of the way. The DJ fit in the same spot beautifully! :) I looked at the two, side by side and can't hardly believe the difference! (pic included). Only then did I realize that the infeed table alone (DJ) was just about 3-1/2" shorter than the *entire* bed of the 6" Grizz!

The unit came pre-wired for 220v, but I don't have 220 service to its location yet, so I made up a long enough extension cable to feed from the bandsaw area, for now. I mean, I *DID* have to try it out, right?! In a word: Awesome! Queit, smooth and plenty of gusto. :) I ran a 5-6" piece of rough-sawn Aspen through and it made short work of squaring it up. I have not yet check tolerences for flatness and such, but it sure appears to do the job it's intended for. I still need to re-route my DC system duct for it and, even though it came with a 4" collector port, I think I'm going to go with 6" right up to the unit. It produces large amounts of shavings in real short order, so I think the 6" duct would be preferred. After all is said and done, I'm pretty happy with the unit! :D

Pics are pretty self-explanatory, but you may want to take note of the one with both jointers side by side. I lined them up so that both infeed tables were on the same "starting line". .... Thanks for taking a peek! :cool:

Dick Parr
06-29-2004, 11:56 PM
Looking good John!

Mike Palmer
06-30-2004, 12:00 AM
Nice piece of machinery, John. VERY nice gloat!!

Doesn't everyone take a day off from work when a new tool arrives??? Makes perfect sense to me. Enjoy and make lots of dust.

Jim Ketron
06-30-2004, 12:01 AM
Nice gloat John!

Alan Tolchinsky
06-30-2004, 12:16 AM
Man that thing is big and beautiful. When I look at those things it always reminds me of an aircraft carrier. Happy sailing John. Alan in Md.

Mark Singer
06-30-2004, 2:05 AM
John,
I remember when I unpacked my DJ20....its a great machine and you will love it! The design is terrific and it is trouble free....excellent quality! I really like mine and the more you use it the better you will like it and trust it. Small bites works better on this baby....Enjoy it!

Rich Konopka
06-30-2004, 6:56 AM
Welcome to the DJ20 Club. You are a He-Man for wrestling the jointer top on to the base. :cool:

John Miliunas
06-30-2004, 8:09 AM
Welcome to the DJ20 Club. You are a He-Man for wrestling the jointer top on to the base. :cool:

"He-Man"??? :confused: I was told THAT was part of the initiation necessary to get into the Club! :D

Thanks for all the kind words, gents! For those who may have missed some previous posts concerning the fact-finding in my search for a jointer, I had considered the Grizz 8" w/spiral cutter-head, but they've been telling me for about the last 3 months that, "Those units are back-ordered 2-3 weeks." (No less than 3 inquiries, each @ a month apart, gave me the same line! :mad: ). I thought about the Bridgewood 4-knife unit, as well as the one from Sunhill. Tempted on both but, I finally decided to go with the tried and proven design of the Delta. Sure, I'd have liked one of the high-end MM or Laguna units, but just can't swing that and would've had a hard time justifying it to the War Dept. :eek: :rolleyes: At any rate, the fit and finish on this unit is pretty much as I had expected: Great! I'm a bit bothered by the stand and motor being of China origin, but we'll see how they hold up. The main machine is made in Taiwan, which in the grand scope of things, is as good as can be expected in this category of machine. Thanks again, folks! :cool:

Don Farr
06-30-2004, 8:16 AM
Congratulations on the new tool (Gloat) John. Looks quite impressive. That is one piece that I do not have yet. :(

Todd Burch
06-30-2004, 8:31 AM
Congrats John! Now, you have to actually make something!

John Miliunas
06-30-2004, 8:50 AM
Congrats John! Now, you have to actually make something!

Huh??? :eek: :confused: You mean...Out of wood? Get the machine all full of wood chips and such? Whoahhhhh! Daddy never told me about THAT part! :eek: Hmmmm...Gonna' have to think this one through a bit! I should probably give that old guy in Peshtigo a call; He knows *everything* and might be able to point me in the right direction. I know he uses a lot of pictures to help text-impaired individuals as myself! The big problem there is, as I recall, my machine is the wrong color. I think he's pretty much into that puckey mustard yellow. :cool:

Bob Johnson
06-30-2004, 9:00 AM
When I converted my DJ20 over to 6" dust collection, I found that the dust chute inside the base was open on the top. I attached a couple of pieces of hardboard to extend the side of the chute up to the top to better have the air flow come by the cutter head. I don't know if it made much difference, but I had the material and it was easy to do.

Bob

Dan Bussiere
06-30-2004, 9:01 AM
Holy Aircraft Carrier, Batman!

Enjoy,
Dan

Steve King
06-30-2004, 9:18 AM
John,
What a SCORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRE :D :D :D :D :D
I like the pic of the Griz next to the Delta :eek:
Steve

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 9:23 AM
Outstanding choice, John. Thanks for the pictorial...machine assembly often requires creativity when you're a "lone operator" and your solution to move the jointer onto the base was a good idea! Now...go make something with it!! :D

John Weber
06-30-2004, 9:31 AM
SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Welcome to the club! My DJ-20 is 14 years old and still runs like new. I'm sure yours will serve you a good long time. You'll love the long infeed and the table levers are smooth as silk.

Enjoy - John

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 9:35 AM
You'll love the long infeed and the table levers are smooth as silk.
Not to mention the parallelogram design of the infeed mechanism that keeps the end of the table the same distance from the knives no mater what the height adjustment. The DJ20 and some of the Euro machines are the only tools that offer that. It could seem like a small thing at first, but keeping the end of the table as close to the knives as possible gives better support to the stock and decreases the chance of tearout.

Tyler Howell
06-30-2004, 10:04 AM
Thanks John, more good stuff for us to use!:cool:

Kelly C. Hanna
06-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Very nice John! I know there's a world of difference in the two jointers. I have the Grizz and love it, but if I could, I'd trade it for the DJ-20 in a heartbeat!!

Chris Padilla
06-30-2004, 11:03 AM
You should be able to handle more than the "1x2 pine" now! :D Sigh, I'm working on 8 weeks with no aircraft carrier in sight.... :rolleyes:

Congrats!

John Miliunas
06-30-2004, 11:35 AM
You should be able to handle more than the "1x2 pine" now! :D Sigh, I'm working on 8 weeks with no aircraft carrier in sight.... :rolleyes:

Congrats!

Uh, ohhhhh...Better send out the Coast Guard! :D

Thanks again for the kind comments. I agree that the Grizz is a nice little unit and, when I purchased it, there was no way I could have something the size of the DJ! It served me well and has a LOT more life left to it, but now it's on to a Big-Boy jointer! :D Tonight, I'll try to get the duct work done for the DC system to it. Then, if I could only locate some more Ambrosia Maple for the rest of (and *added*!) work in the bathroom, I'd be all set! :cool:

Stewart Crick
06-30-2004, 12:36 PM
Happy Joining John! That baby won't disappoint you!

Stu

Rich Konopka
06-30-2004, 7:21 PM
"He-Man"??? :confused: I was told THAT was part of the initiation necessary to get into the Club! :D

Thanks for all the kind words, gents! For those who may have missed some previous posts concerning the fact-finding in my search for a jointer, I had considered the Grizz 8" w/spiral cutter-head, but they've been telling me for about the last 3 months that, "Those units are back-ordered 2-3 weeks." (No less than 3 inquiries, each @ a month apart, gave me the same line! :mad: ). I thought about the Bridgewood 4-knife unit, as well as the one from Sunhill. Tempted on both but, I finally decided to go with the tried and proven design of the Delta. Sure, I'd have liked one of the high-end MM or Laguna units, but just can't swing that and would've had a hard time justifying it to the War Dept. :eek: :rolleyes: At any rate, the fit and finish on this unit is pretty much as I had expected: Great! I'm a bit bothered by the stand and motor being of China origin, but we'll see how they hold up. The main machine is made in Taiwan, which in the grand scope of things, is as good as can be expected in this category of machine. Thanks again, folks! :cool:
John:
Did you get the new X5 Jointer with 5 year warranty? Doesn't appear to be in the photos. If so, the base and motor are made in China. If it is the older DJ20 then the stand and motor are US made. This is according to the Delta Rep whom I spoke with when I purchased mine in May. The older DJ20's are going for $1200-$1300 where as the X5 ~ $1500.

HTH

John Miliunas
06-30-2004, 7:52 PM
Rick, no it's NOT the X5. Just couldn't see parting with $1.5K for the difference. My deal was $1250.00, minus 5% for a Father's Day weekend special, plus another $50.00 off for orders over $250.00. I also added in the OEM Delta mobile base for a grand total of $1227.49, delivered! You're absolutely right about the base and motor. Both are of Chinese origin. :( The business end of the unit is Taiwan made. Then again, I don't know the origins of the X5 parts, either. I figure that this thing still comes with a 2-yr. warranty. If, after that time, the motor takes a dump, I'll have used it for 2+ years, replace it with a 1-1/2hp Baldor and STILL be money ahead of the X5. :D It *would* be interesting to find out where the component origins are for the X5, though. I'm not an industrial or production user, so I'm hoping this puppy will last for as long as I need it. Let's face it; Jointers are basically a pretty simple piece of machinery, with the bulk of it being nothing much more than a bunch of cast iron machined to some pretty critical tolerences. If they're in spec today, chances are they will be 10 years from now. Anyhow, it better last, 'cuz Momma ain't a' gonna' let me upgrade this piece for a long, lo-o-o-o-ong time! :rolleyes: :cool:

Dennis Peacock
06-30-2004, 8:18 PM
Congrats John on the new DJ20!!!!!

I'm just surprised that you didn't order the 24" tables to go on that baby!! :rolleyes: :D

Very nice John...!!!! I guess I need to ship you some templates to break it in good with. ;)

Byron Trantham
06-30-2004, 9:23 PM
Having shown the difference between a "normal" jointer and the DJ20, you are now officially off my Christmas list! :mad: I am so jealous! :D

Very nice purchase John.

Dennis Peacock
06-30-2004, 9:24 PM
Hey John.....

Forgot to give you the Thumbs-Up on the new jointer!!!!

John Miliunas
06-30-2004, 11:00 PM
Dennis, Bryon...You guys are TOO much! :D Thanks for the well wishes and Dennis...Yes, I'd love to give it a go on prepping up some stock for those custom chairs of yours! :D

Went out to the shop after work today and got my duct re-routed and made a new 6" port for it, so it's solid 6" all the way through! :) :cool:

Brad Schmid
06-30-2004, 11:15 PM
Ahhhh, gotta love big iron! I'm droolin'
Congrats on the new addition to the family :D

Brad

Jerry Olexa
06-30-2004, 11:19 PM
John you had your priorities right when you took a day off to receive and test the new tool!! Looks GREAT!! Enjoy it... Jerry

Ken Fitzgerald
06-30-2004, 11:35 PM
John....I'm jealous! :p ;) :D :rolleyes: In the futue I hope to have one similar. Right now I'll settle for the benchtop model I'm using. congrats!

David Klink
06-30-2004, 11:55 PM
Congratulations on:

Your beautiful new jointer.

Your accomplishing the task of lifting the top onto the base yourself.

Your accomplishing the task of lifting the top onto the base yourself while ensuring all body parts remain in their proper place.

But...

What is that I see in the left of a couple of those pictures on the floor? Is that a bag from Bed, Bath, and Beyond?? Sacrilege!:)

Incidentally, don't ask how I knew it was from there.

John Miliunas
07-01-2004, 12:30 AM
But...

What is that I see in the left of a couple of those pictures on the floor? Is that a bag from Bed, Bath, and Beyond?? Sacrilege!:)

Incidentally, don't ask how I knew it was from there.

Thanks! Oh, and the BB&B bag? My favorite place to shop. NOT! :eek: I will say this much for that place: When it's present-buying time for LOML, I can usually score something she likes in that store! :) 'Course, after this nice score, I may have to splerge and go somewhere nice for her next gift. Maybe, even to K-Mart! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Ted Daigle
07-01-2004, 7:03 AM
John,
Been out of the loop past few days, but nice score! Can't wait to see what kind of product rolls off that bad boy!!

John Weber
07-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Bump, I love this post....

John

Dale Thompson
07-01-2004, 11:44 PM
Huh??? You mean...Out of wood? Get the machine all full of wood chips and such? Whoahhhhh! Daddy never told me about THAT part! Hmmmm...Gonna' have to think this one through a bit! I should probably give that old guy in Peshtigo a call; He knows *everything* and might be able to point me in the right direction. I know he uses a lot of pictures to help text-impaired individuals as myself! The big problem there is, as I recall, my machine is the wrong color. I think he's pretty much into that puckey mustard yellow. :cool:

Hey Spring,
Don't tell me that you needed BOTH your wife and daughter to help you carry in your new ironing board!? :rolleyes: Just wait until the IRON arrives! :eek: I bought one of those a few weeks ago and hitch-hiked my way back from Green Bay with it under my arm. :cool:

Speaking of "Pukey Mustard Yellow". I just got back from Oak Creek after spending a couple of days with the ten-month old grandson. I'm up to the top of my "Depends" with "Pukey Mustard Yellow". :) :)

Thanks for the pics, bud. NOW - break the drought and get some SAWDUST on some of those new tools!! :D :) :)

Dale T.

Jason Tuinstra
07-02-2004, 10:37 AM
Way to go Jim!!! Major score. If I only had more money, space, time, and help I'd have one of those as well :D I'm sure you'll love it. Have fun.