PDA

View Full Version : grizzly shipping

Dave Torro
01-26-2009, 7:11 PM
After buying there 21" band saw , i wanted to purchase several replacement blades, they wanted $7 shipping for "each" blade ,,,, i imeadetly canceled my order, any one know a better site to order a 165" timber wolf blade or equivalent????

Chris Padilla
01-26-2009, 7:16 PM
How about Suffolk Machinery (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com/)? They make the Timberwolf blades.

Brodie Brickey
01-26-2009, 7:19 PM
Dave,

Have you tried WoodCraft or www.suffolkmachinery.com?

Was that the charge through the website or via a phone call? Sometimes the websites can mis-charge the shipping depending on how its been designed.

Ray Dockrey
01-26-2009, 7:49 PM
I just tried it and shipping for four blades was $14. But I too recommend that you give Suffolk a call. I use their blades and they are very good and I have had awesome customer service with them.

Shiraz Balolia
01-26-2009, 7:57 PM
After buying there 21" band saw , i wanted to purchase several replacement blades, they wanted $7 shipping for "each" blade ,,,, i imeadetly canceled my order, any one know a better site to order a 165" timber wolf blade or equivalent????

Our shipping costs are fixed and dependant on the dollar value for UPS orders. The rates are published in our catalog as well as on the web site. These charges are automatically computed at the time of the order.

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2009/main/659

Steve H Graham
01-26-2009, 8:07 PM
When I called Shop Fox for table pins for my bandsaw, they were pleasant, but they told me they couldn't sell them to me directly. They advised me to call Grizzly. I spent what seemed like half an hour on the phone with a Grizzly salesperson, while he patiently tried to nail down the corresponding Grizzly part. Total charge, including shipping? About eleven bucks. Most of the money went to UPS.

If they're this helpful when you're buying cheap parts for something they didn't sell, my guess is that their service is always top-notch.

Lloyd McKinlay
01-26-2009, 8:40 PM
Iturra Design gets rave reviews. I'm only part way through reading their 250 page band saw accessory catalog. They probably have what you need. 866-883-8064

Mikail Khan
01-27-2009, 5:05 AM
pswood.com

Timberwolf blades

Joe Chritz
01-27-2009, 7:26 AM
Strange, I just went and checked the online order form and for 6 blades at about $23 each the shipping was $17.20 or $2.86 per. Which happens to be a set rate for the total dollars of the order. If you ordered each blade separately than you would pay a lot more total than ordering all together.

That said, I ordered from Highland Hardware because I wanted to try a Woodslicer resaw blade and figured since I was ordering from them already I would get the other two I needed there as well. As of a few days ago orders over $100 were free shipping which isn't hard when ordering blades.

I expect them via UPS today so no ARP yet but I expect them to perform well considering all the other reviews on them.

Joe

Don Bullock
01-27-2009, 8:12 AM
The only problem I had with Grizzly was that the shipping cost listed on their website when I bought my G0490 was quite a bit higher than the listing in the magazine ads at the time I bought it. Unfortunately Customer Service couldn't give me the lower shipping cost. They stated that shipping costs had increased since the magazine ad was sent to the publisher. Otherwise they have been fantastic.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-27-2009, 10:01 AM

Dave, have you shipped anything lately? A blade for a 21" saw is a fairly large box, and 7$ might not even cover the costs if you where to take it to your local UPS. USPS "flat rate boxes" IMHO, have set the bottom price for all shipping at a ridiculously high price. Buy something little from ebay, you'll see what I mean.

james bell
01-27-2009, 10:51 AM
glad to see grizzly looks at this site. i have ordered a few items from grizzly, but due to their shipping charges, it is only items i can't find elsewhere or their prices are too good.

keep looking at some of their large power tools, but their shipping has thus far turned me off. when i add their shipping to the cost of the machine, i can usually 'afford' to upgrade with another company.

last year i was torn between the laguna HD16 and the mini-max 16, and with what i called the outrageous shipping charges from laguna, went with the minimax and very happy.

whenever rockler offers free shipping, i typically order stuff that i normally wouldn't or stuff that would be in my 'in-queue' to be added when something necessary was required. and then, it may or may not be rockler who got the business.

grizzly kinda reminds me of the old Columbia record/tape/cd - where the price of the individual item was cheap but they made up for it with their shipping charges!

Paul Greathouse
01-27-2009, 10:57 AM
In the past 3 months I have ordered 3 stationary tools from Grizzly and have found the shipping costs to be very reasonable.

I had looked at some Shop Fox equivelants of the tools I wanted from the regular Ebay sellers. Most of them offer free shipping. I was still better off buying the Grizzly line after paying for the Grizzly tool and shipping verses buying the Shop Fox with free shipping.

I have also ordered some small items from Grizzly and the shipping on them did not seem out of line with comparable purchases elsewhere. If they would have been, I would have noticed, I am pretty bad about pinching pennies.

Scott Wigginton
01-27-2009, 11:22 AM
grizzly kinda reminds me of the old Columbia record/tape/cd - where the price of the individual item was cheap but they made up for it with their shipping charges!

What? :eek:

I tried getting a Biesemeyer Fence & 52" rails shipped 400 miles and couldn't even get it for the same price as shipping on my 8" Grizzly jointer. You really think they're making a profit on "high" shipping charges?

Yeah you can save on small items when the other companies have free shipping, but now you have to wait for them to have their sale and hope it is before you need that item. Or go to the store and pay tax + gas.

Just a quick comparison vs Rockler:

Under $100: Grizzly is about $1 cheaper
$100 to $200: Averages to equal
$200 to $400: Dead even
Over $400: Grizzly costs $2 more

So you're real argument is $2 on a $400 plus order. I don't know about you but so far I have made about 30 order under $200 and none over $400 (excluding machinery which has a separate charge anyhow)

Eric Gustafson
01-27-2009, 12:41 PM
...I would have noticed, I am pretty bad about pinching pennies.

Or pretty good! :confused: :D

I, too, consider Grizzly price and service on shipping excellent. I ordered a bandsaw and TS from them. Shipping on BS was $96.50 for one box at 480lbs. I got the bandsaw exactly when I expected. The TS is four boxes, I think, at 550lbs, for $146.50 ( I am to get that Friday:D.) Grizzly has a corporate agreement with UPS freight. They pay fixed rates for shipping certain items anywhere in the US, and liftgate service is only $32. The guy who deliverd the part said that liftgate is normally over $120. :eek:

Paul Demetropoulos
01-27-2009, 2:09 PM
BC Saw & Tool in Canada. http://www.bcsaw.com/index.htmr

They sell a 1/2" 3-tpi blade made by Starrett but welded and sold by BC saw that I use for my general blade . Pricing is very good, even better if you buy in a lot of 10.

Dave Torro
01-27-2009, 4:56 PM
Thanks for all the info,,,i ended up going with www.suffolkmachinery.com (http://www.suffolkmachinery.com). they are running a special right now, buy 3 blades the fourth is free, shipping will be about 7-8 $ total for all 4 (165") blades delivered, same blade price as grizzly along with the excellent service, but without the no handing charges or mainly "the more costly the item ,the higher the delivery charge is" regardless of weight, and that is what really GRINDS MY GEARS. When i ordered my 21" grizzly, i ordered 2 timber wolf blades, they said i would have to pay extra shipping on top of the band saw shipping charge, even though i was ordering it all at once. They couldn't just place 2 wound up blades in the create that weighs less then a pound i asked? they said no, it's not how they do it there, yet they have no problem throwing in a 5 lbs catalog with the saw. Let me make this clear , i am very happy with my saw and the high quality service from grizzly and appreciate the owners diligence in spending the time to look at this site and respond, i will continue to consider grizzly machines and recommend them to my colleagues, but for the small stuff,in my opinion it's a ripoff. it reminds me of EBay , people selling items at low prices and charging exsuberant shipping charges to make up for it.

Herbert Wallace
01-27-2009, 5:08 PM
I just got my griz 3 hp dust collector via motor freight. Paid the $32 for a lift gate. No lift gate. and I had to meet the 18 wheeler up on the hwy. with my atv and trailer. NO REFUND was offered.

Dave Lehnert
01-27-2009, 5:34 PM
glad to see grizzly looks at this site. i have ordered a few items from grizzly, but due to their shipping charges, it is only items i can't find elsewhere or their prices are too good.

keep looking at some of their large power tools, but their shipping has thus far turned me off. when i add their shipping to the cost of the machine, i can usually 'afford' to upgrade with another company.

last year i was torn between the laguna HD16 and the mini-max 16, and with what i called the outrageous shipping charges from laguna, went with the minimax and very happy.

whenever rockler offers free shipping, i typically order stuff that i normally wouldn't or stuff that would be in my 'in-queue' to be added when something necessary was required. and then, it may or may not be rockler who got the business.

Maybe I am in the dark but I don't see how Grizzly is out of line with the shipping charges. What did it cost to ship your Mini Max? Who has cheaper shipping? Can you give examples?
For some reason people think they should not pay for shipping. Thats all well and good but Grizzly could just charge $100 extra for a bandsaw and offer free shipping. Whats the difference?
I have been looking at the Grizzly G0513x2 bandsaw. $995 + $96.50 shipping. Total cost $1,091.50. Who has a better deal. I would like to take a look. Around here a saw at a dealer (no shipping) is around $1,500

Ben Franz
01-27-2009, 5:50 PM
Compare shipping costs for a 3HP cyclone from Grizzly ($89 in 2008 cat.) to Oneida Air (about $360 last summer IIRC). I went with Oneida in spite of shipping but it was nearly a deal breaker to me. If you've ever tried to ship anything by motor freight as an individual, these rates won't shock you. My $.02.

Stephen Edwards
01-27-2009, 8:00 PM
Personally, I don't think that there is any such thing as "free" shipping. Companies are in business to make money. If they offer free shipping you can be sure that the shipping charges have been figured into the cost of the product. When a company offers the occasional "free shipping special", they've already figured that cost into the price of merchandise that they sold when they were charging their normal shipping charges.

As for Grizzly's shipping charges, I've found them to be in line with other companies.

Dave Lehnert
01-27-2009, 9:21 PM
Personally, I don't think that there is any such thing as "free" shipping. Companies are in business to make money. If they offer free shipping you can be sure that the shipping charges have been figured into the cost of the product. When a company offers the occasional "free shipping special", they've already figured that cost into the price of merchandise that they sold when they were charging their normal shipping charges.

As for Grizzly's shipping charges, I've found them to be in line with other companies.

Amen!

Do you think everything sold in grocery stores was shipped there free? it is added to the cost of goods. Why is everything priced higher now? gasoline-AKA shipping cost.

Ron Bontz
01-27-2009, 9:29 PM
Well just my 2 cents. One way or the other those shipping charges are in there. UPS folks gotta eat too. I have had to pass on quite a few things the last couple of years because of the shipping charges. However when I tallied up the gas cost of me driving my pick up to the places, say Edwardsville to Springfield Mo. (Grizzly) It is cheaper to have them deliver. Not to mention my time. :)

Paul Greathouse
01-28-2009, 6:37 AM
I just got my griz 3 hp dust collector via motor freight. Paid the $32 for a lift gate. No lift gate. and I had to meet the 18 wheeler up on the hwy. with my atv and trailer. NO REFUND was offered.

Herbert, I had orginally paid for lift gate service on my last two tools because of the weight. I just assumed that the tools would be brought on a bobtail size truck. When I found out that the lift gate would be on the back of an 18 wheeler, I opted to pick the tools up at the freight terminal.

SAIA Motor frieght was the carrier and they have a termimal about 10 miles from my house. I had to ask for the lift gate refund but they took care of it with no problem. I called Grizzly to confirm that SAIA had actually noted that I hadn't used the lift gate service and they had. SAIA told me it could take as long as 3 weeks to recieve the refund. You might want to check with the carrier about a refund. Did you think to make a note on the bill of ladding that you didn't get the service?

Ed Calkins
01-28-2009, 11:08 AM
I read this thread re. shipping costs etc. with great interest as I am about to pull the trigger on at least three machine purchases (probably one from MiniMax and two from Grizzly). My greatest fear is shipping damage. I will require lift gate delivery to my shop building and will try to inspect to the best of my ability before accepting delivery but that is usually difficult to do as is sometime requires some unpacking and the truck doesn't want to wait around. I'm sure either company will stand behind the products but it is a PIA to return anything let alone 600 lbs or so of steel. So -- my opinion: if I could pay an extra $100. for insured no damage delivery inspected and any issues handled by the person delivering the Saw/jointer or whatever, I would gladly pay the bill. In summary, I am most interested in shipping quality and willing to pay for it. Ed

Joe Chritz
01-28-2009, 11:26 AM
If you want guaranteed shipping on large items you likely will need to hire someone yourself or go and get it on your own.

The shipping companies aren't exactly the best know of wearing kid gloves around items they are handling.

It was cheaper and easier for me to go to the terminal and pick items up but I have had them delivered here before. Shipping damage is generally limited to smaller items that hand off the machines. The main parts are generally pretty stout and are unlikely to get damaged as easily.

I have had a handle broken during shipment and one phone call got a new one on the way in less than 5 minutes.

FWIW, I don't think you could hire your own freight for $100 more than the delivery charges from Grizzly. I expect the other companies are similar.

Joe

Stephen Edwards
01-28-2009, 11:50 AM
Ditto to Joe's comments on damage. My machines arrived in sound condition except for a bent handle on the jointer. Grizzly customer service took care of that right away, no questions asked.

Also, be aware that for you to actually get the liftgate service at your home or shop, your location needs to be in a place where the truck can stop on the road, or beside the road, at the end of your driveway. It must be in a place where the semi doesn't have to turn around. In other words, if you live on a dead end road, they likely won't deliver to your home or place of business.

When I've ordered machines from Grizzly I met the driver at the end of my dead end road. The driver helped me slide the machines from the back of the semi into my pickup. According the fine print, that's not his responsiblity but on both my shipments he acted as if it were.

It's my understanding that the liftgate service is from the back of the semi to the ground, or into your pickup bed, at the end of your driveway. Depending on the area of the country that you live in and the attitude of the driver, they may or may not help you get it from the end of the drive to your shop.

Read the fine print or call CS from whomever you're buying the machine and find out exactly what you get if you order the liftgate service. That's my suggestion.

Garth Keel
01-28-2009, 12:02 PM
I bought a G555X Bandsaw a month or so ago and found the shipping to be reasonable. Lift-gate service and the driver placed it in the shop. And, customer service was excellent. I will be buying more from Grizzly. :)

Herbert Wallace
01-29-2009, 9:09 AM

I recieved a call from Grizzly last night.The lady said they had recieved a report that I had a problem with shipping, And that I would recieve a $32 credit. I DID not request this refund. I assume Mr. Balolia saw the post and and arranged the refund. Thanks Mr Balolia . Grizzly is No. 1 in customer relations as far as I am concerned. I have no more reservations buying Grizzly tools now. I know my satisfaction will be guaranteed.

Michael Poller
01-29-2009, 9:27 AM
I have only one large shipment that arrived from Grizzly, my 1023SL table saw.

I live on a dead end dirt road that is not tractor trailer ready.

When the shipping company called to arrange for the liftgate service I ordered, I requested the smallest liftgate truck they had available, stating I was willing to wait if they needed to get it on a small truck another day.

They did sent something like a 30 footer with lift gate and the driver was great. Backed the truck up my driveway and managed to get the boxes right on the wood platform that is level with my walk in basement access.

From there with the help of a muscular friend and a hand truck we moved it over the doors threshold and into the basement.

I thought for a 500 pound shipment the shipping price was more than fair and my machinery arrived in perfect condition.

Shiraz Balolia
01-29-2009, 10:43 AM
I recieved a call from Grizzly last night.The lady said they had recieved a report that I had a problem with shipping, And that I would recieve a $32 credit. I DID not request this refund. I assume Mr. Balolia saw the post and and arranged the refund. Thanks Mr Balolia . Grizzly is No. 1 in customer relations as far as I am concerned. I have no more reservations buying Grizzly tools now. I know my satisfaction will be guaranteed.

Herbert - I would like to take credit for that one, but one of my many good people must have seen your post and taken care of it. Anytime that you pay for something (like lift gate service, or overnight service etc.) and do not get it, you are entitled to a refund on that portion of the order. We will take care of you and then battle it out behind the scenes with the offending party. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Burt Alcantara
01-29-2009, 12:45 PM
I purchased my G0514X2 during the Cash Back run. Got the saw 3 days later. Lift gate was $25 as I recall. To me, that was the best deal going. I briefly considered the MM16 but on top of $1000 the shipping killed it.

I recently bought a Powermatic 3520b lathe. In this case, Powermatic has sprung for the shipping. I was willing to stick my neck out for a Robust but they told me shipping would be about $1000.

Shipping is crazy right now. I think Grizzly has the best deals going on shipping.

What I've found is the quality of lift gate service depends on where you live. The guys who deliver to my house are extremely helpful and very friendly.

Burt

Joe Jensen
01-29-2009, 1:51 PM
Grizzly is clearing making money on shipping. I have a friend who's company is a large customer of FedEx. His FedEx rate for next day is cheaper than the list rate (the one you and I can get) for UPS ground. Think about it. FedEx overnight is cheaper than UPS ground. I guarentee you that Griz is getting a steep discount from UPS. If they were losing too much business (lower total profit), they would lower the mark up on the shipping, and sell more. I would guess they are profit maximizing, which is what they should do.

BTW, many online sellers won't let you use an alternative carrier for the shipping because they have signed exclusive shipping deals to get the discounts, and they don't want to lose the profit on the shipping piece. Most consumers don't realize, and they see the sellers shipping price is very similar to what they would pay UPS as a consumer. (some charge a ton more)

Dave Torro
01-29-2009, 5:14 PM
On there big equipment i have no qualms, there price for such large items are fair,,,, when i ordered my 21" band saw with lift gate service, the ups driver that drove for 20 years, backed up his 18 wheeler, reversed down a 350' curving driveway, barely clearing the live oaks surrounding my property my inches off the top of his rig and gently lowered my saw in to my shop, well deserving of a $50 tip. i didn't even have to ask him to do it , he just said were does it have to go? Awesome service from ups! Once again the problem is with the little stuff as it seems, ripoff eBay mentality. Sorry but that's how i see it.

Stephen Edwards
01-29-2009, 9:33 PM
I just looked at the shipping charges for items under 70 lbs. my 2009 Grizzly catalog. Honestly, I don't understand why anyone would think that their shipping and handling charges are unreasonable. Shipping prices start at $6.95. Unless it's an over sized item, the most you'll pay for shipping and handling on an order that costs up to $99.99 is $12.95. A $400.00 order and up costs $19.95. Seems reasonable to me.

After all, there ARE costs associated with handing and packaging in addition to the actual shipping charge. They buy materials, pay employees, have other overhead, etc. to ship their merchandise. Of course, they're going to figure a profit for the company into those costs. That's how businesses operate and how they stay in business.

Joe Chritz
01-29-2009, 10:56 PM
I was in charge of a small shipping department just out of high school. We only shipped about 20-40 items a day but we charged actual shipping and no handling.

The business lost money on shipping (and wrote it off) but it was a major pain. I spent more time making invoices and figuring costs then actually packaging the items.

Charging a shipping cost by dollar value isn't an overly accurate way to calculate shipping/handling but it does work out overall. Some orders (small, light weight, expensive items) bring in more than goes out and others don't.

With the amount of shipping going through a warehouse (Grizzly, WW supply, CSH, etc.) the dollar based shipping charges make a lot of sense from a business stand point.

Joe

james bell
01-31-2009, 9:21 AM
MiniMax offered 'free shipping' plus was having a sale which brought their list price down some. The free shipping was kinda negotiable, since I live completely in the sticks, they shipped to a truck terminal in Richmond, about 100 miles from my house (and 15 minutes from my mom's) so killed two birds with one stone.

Plus they loaded it onto my trailer. Saved over $400 on the deal.

Many companies will offer either free or reduced shipping rates on large tool sales. They need to move inventory, and they usually have deals with trucking companies which they can pass on to the consumer.

I agree that shipping equates in many cases to gas prices, especially for small items if you are not close to stores, as in my case.