PDA

View Full Version : Marking ribbon

Dave Johnson29
01-26-2009, 6:37 PM
Hi All,

Just messing with some ribbon that I got from Walmart today.

In Corel I used Artistic Text, Hairline, No Fill and Convert to Curves so that it would vector and be quicker than Raster.

OK, so it was quicker but it burned right through. I dropped power but it did not make the ribbon go black. Instead it just lightly melted it and you could barely see the lettering.

Any suggestions or is it the wrong type of ribbon?

You can see two samples on my website under "Wedding" in the "Gallery"

Judith Halliday
01-26-2009, 7:26 PM
Hi Dave,

Stick to the lighter ribbons (they come out the best). I did some yellow ribbons for my daughter's homecoming outfit. May want to reduce the power some and make the speed 100, especially if it is burning the fabric.

On a lighter note, the crackers and mushrooms were :eek: .

I've tried the big white beans. Sold those to kids coming through the shop with (I love you Mom & I want to sprout like you).

You give a new definition to radiated food.

Cheers,
Judy

Dave Johnson29
01-26-2009, 8:44 PM
I've tried the big white beans. Sold those to kids coming through the shop with (I love you Mom & I want to sprout like you).

Hi Judith,

Very cute comment.

I kept lowering the power until it stopped marking but the ribbon never took on much color. I suspect I need a ribbon with more cotton than polyester.

Not sure about other lasers but I can change power and speeds on the fly with mine so it is easy to arrive at a good burn but that never happened.

I did some tomatoes, potatoes, carrots, cucumber and even some hard candy too. Not to mention the ceramic lid on my toilet tank! :eek: Nothing is safe.

I tried to duct tape the cat to the table but he kept wriggling too much and I didn't want to damage the air assist tube.

OK, just kidding about the cat.

Mike Null
01-26-2009, 9:40 PM
Dave
If you have a ppi setting try reducing that.

Dave Johnson29
01-27-2009, 10:14 AM
If you have a ppi setting try reducing that.

Thanks Mike, I did them at 30,000 but will try dropping that. I can also do that on the fly but did not think to try yesterday. :rolleyes:

Joe Pelonio
01-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Slow or not I think you will have better results on most fabrics with raster engraving.

George Brown
01-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Did you try moving it out of focus?

Dave Johnson29
01-27-2009, 1:40 PM
Did you try moving it out of focus?

Hi George, I thought about it but did not try it.

Joe, I will give it a shot it's just that I have about a 1000 feet to do at 16" per pass and speed becomes an issue. I am still testing though.

Mike Null
01-27-2009, 2:12 PM
Dave

With respect to ppi. Do what Bill Shatner says on his Priceline commercials--go lower--way lower.