PDA

View Full Version : Here are th e chisel handles.

Dan Forman
01-26-2009, 5:46 PM
Here is the result of my efforts to turn new handles for a set of chisels which used to belong to my grandfather. The old handles were in pretty sad condition, and the shapes were not as friendly, if I do say so myself. Thanks to those who contributed by answering my questions on this forum.

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/P1020192.jpg

The shapes of these evolved somewhat as I went, so are not terribly consistent until the last three or so, when I finally figured out what I wanted. As it happens, they feel very different while still on the lathe than they do when holding them in a position of use.

The handles are ash, the Chisels are mostly Keen Kutters by E. C. Simmons, with the odd one being an Orlock. I spent quite a while flattening the backs and grinding the nicks out of them, before honing on the water stones.

Dan

Jeff Nicol
01-26-2009, 5:49 PM
Dan, It is great that you have some tools that belonged to your Dad. I am real close with my Dad and he has given me lots of stuff that he does not use any more. The handles are great and I love the color of them! I have a few of them laying around that need handles too, so you have given me inspiration!

Great job,

Jeff

Martin Shupe
01-26-2009, 6:27 PM
Very nice job, Dan.

Dustin Cranford
01-26-2009, 6:27 PM
Those are very nice. I like the way the grain pattern runs on them.

Bernie Weishapl
01-26-2009, 6:38 PM
Beautiful handles Dan. It is great you could bring them back to life with some great looking handles.

Gary Herrmann
01-26-2009, 6:39 PM
Very nice job on the chisel handles, Dan. Good shape on those. Did you turn the washers too? I thought it was kinda cool that it worked well - makes it easy to get them to the right size.

Randy Schaffer
01-26-2009, 7:17 PM
Those are real nice. It is good to refurbish such good old tools.

The leather pads are a great idea too.

Jim Kountz
01-26-2009, 8:57 PM
Nice job on the handles and to be using the same tools as your granfather is special too.
Good job!!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-26-2009, 9:17 PM
Very well done Dan! I'd say they are good for another 3 generations!

Steve Schlumpf
01-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Very nice work Dan! Your Grandfather would be proud!

Allen Schmid
01-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Dan,
The handles look great and such a neat story behind them being your grandfathers and all...something you will enjoy using even more now that you have put your own mark on them...great job!
Allen

Jim Koepke
01-27-2009, 12:52 AM
Good looking handles.

The nice thing about making your own, is you can make replacements if they break or you get a few dings on them.

jim

Tom Giacomo
01-27-2009, 12:57 AM
I think you've got a handle on it now.

Dan Forman
01-27-2009, 4:14 PM
Thanks for the kind comments.

Gary, yes, I turned the washers. I turned a 1/2" tenon on what would be the top of the handle, used 1/4" leather made for shoe soles I got from a shoe repair guy, two washers per handle. Drew circles on the leather with a compass, drilled with a 1/2" Forstner bit, centering on the compass point hole, then cut out the circles on my little 10" band saw. Glued the leather to the rough rounded handle blanks with medium CA glue, and clamped, using a small block of wood with a 5/8" hole, which fit over the remainder of the tenon, to apply even pressure to the leather. The washers were shaped at the same time as the rest of the handle.

Dan