PDA

View Full Version : Playing the waiting game....

Dennis Peacock
06-29-2004, 11:19 PM
Well...I sold my Warwick 5-String Bass last week. So now, I'm bassless and have purchased / ordered a new bass. I decided to go with a short scale Epiphone Elitist EB-3 bass. Unfortunately, these babies are not in stock anywhere in the U.S. These are made in Japan and are the top of the line bass that Epiphone offers. I settled on this one due to it being short scale and the other was price. I was able to get this one for $950 with free shipping to me. Everything I have read about this bass is very good.

So now, it's the WAITING game for my bass and lathe! Sheesh!!! I guess someone's trying to teach me patience or something. ;)

Jack Wood
07-01-2004, 8:06 AM
:eek: WOW Jim $900 bucks for a bass? Hey I could have taken you out to Guntersville Lake for a whole day of fishing to get a bass for a lot cheaper than that!:D ;)

Jim Becker
07-01-2004, 9:05 AM
I know the feeling...waiting on a tool purchase to arrive...:D

I'll be interested in your first thoughts of the new axx when it arrives, Dennis. Keep us posted!

Tyler Howell
07-01-2004, 10:53 AM
I'm waiting to :D :D
Congrats on your score.

Steven Wilson
07-01-2004, 12:18 PM
EB-3 for a Warwick ???? I hope it works out. You'll probably need to try a fair number of different strings (guage especially) to get the sound you want as a short scale length bass is a very different animal

Ken Fitzgerald
07-02-2004, 3:42 AM
Dennis, let me know how that new ax works out!

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2004, 12:03 PM
Dennis, let me know how that new ax works out!

Will do Ken....Looks like it will be mid-late July at current estimates!!!

Dennis Peacock
07-02-2004, 12:11 PM
EB-3 for a Warwick ???? I hope it works out. You'll probably need to try a fair number of different strings (guage especially) to get the sound you want as a short scale length bass is a very different animal

Steve,

I couldn't get enough money for my old Warwick to purchase a new one without having to fork out another $600 to $700 additional dollars for another Warwick with a short scale neck. I am playing a borrowed Fender J Bass now and I play worse on it than on my old Warwick. One thing I did notice however, the Fender J plays a lot easier than my Warwick ever did. Less finger board pressure.

What would you suggest on string guage? I have already found a set of Rotosound strings that are short scale that I want to try. $30 for a set of 4. From what I've been reading and researching on activebass.com, the folks that have short scale really like them and that a lot of vintage basses are short or medium scale.

In short, if I don't like it, I have 45 days to send it back...no questions asked. If I like it and it really does not work out after a year? I'll BUILD my own Bass and will get Tobias to shape the neck on their machine. :D How about a Short Scale 5-String? Possible?

Steven Wilson
07-02-2004, 2:24 PM
A short scale 5 string? It's possible but you would have a rope for the B string. I wouldn't go there unless you went one higher and then tuned the bass down to a C, C#, or D (from E). You would still have ropes for strings though. I use to use Rotosounds a bit on my Alembic, what's the guage difference between their regular and short scale length strings? You might be able to try the lower 4 of a med-light 5 string set for your new bass (i.e. strings that you may currently have). I would probably include a set of D'Addario and GHS Brite Flats in the mix for testing. What sort of sound are you going for and what sort of amp rig? As for the J-Bass, they are easy on the hands aren't they. I agree that the Warwick is more stressful but the sound is awesome. I found that I needed to change the way I held the bass and the attitude my fingers attacked the strings. Making the changes eased the stress and greatly increased speed. I find that my Alembic neck is very easy to play, like the J-Bass, it's just that the sound isn't suitable for some types of music.

Chris Padilla
07-02-2004, 3:26 PM
I know the feeling...waiting on a tool purchase to arrive...:D

Do ya now? ;)

May 1st I placed my order for the 16" J/P. I think they are still digging the tunnel to reach the ore for the steel! :(

:rolleyes: ...but, I'm cool...the aircraft carrier would just get in the way of the garage gut happening.... :D

Rich Konopka
07-02-2004, 3:49 PM
Do ya now? ;)

May 1st I placed my order for the 16" J/P. I think they are still digging the tunnel to reach the ore for the steel! :(

:rolleyes: ...but, I'm cool...the aircraft carrier would just get in the way of the garage gut happening.... :D
I have a new DJ20 Carrier and mm16 Destoyer :D sitting in the Dry docks fully armed with no fuel. I have to wait until July 23 for the electricity:mad: