PDA

View Full Version : Installing granite around gas fireplace?

Glenn Clabo
01-26-2009, 5:10 PM
I have a question that seems to get many answers. I've been working on a gas fireplace surround. The zero clearance...vented...fireplace is installed. The surround is boxed in according to the rules...cement board on top of the fireplace...drywall on the sides. What's the right way to attach the black granite slabs on the sides and top of the fireplace?

Paul Ryan
01-26-2009, 6:13 PM
Glen,

I installed this fire place and surround a couple of years ago. I purchased the stone slabs from Cambria (a solid counter top manufacturer) and was instructed to use a high temp adhesive. I picked it up from the local lumber yard. I can't rembember the name of the adhesive but it was good to something like 500 degrees and looked alot like clear silcon caulk when dried. I installed the stone before the tile. I shimmed the slabs up to the hight of the tile and then attached them. Then once the tile was installed I grouted up to the stone so it blended in. This way if something ever happens to the tile or stone it can be replaced without having to remove both components. I am just starting my faimly so I have kind of prepared for damaged caused by children.

James Stokes
01-26-2009, 6:59 PM
I have allways used regular thinset.

Thomas Bennett
01-26-2009, 7:08 PM
I installed this granite and woodwork a couple of years ago. I backed up the granite around the front with Duraroc(sp?) and used thin set motar. I allowed about 1/16-1/8 space between the metal and stone. The stone in the wood panels is glued in with construction adhesive. Both end panels are removable. In my opinion, the important thing to remember is to leave some air space between any metal and stone.