PDA

View Full Version : Paying to be a vendor?

Joe Pelonio
01-26-2009, 3:05 PM
I was wondering if anyone has run into this before. One of my wholesale customer has bid a large job making and installing signs at a large office building. The national corporation that manages it has told him that he
would have to pay them $40 a year to be on their approved vendor list.

Not a big deal if there's an opportunity to make a decent profit, but this is the first time I have seen a company make you pay anything to do work for them.

Mike Null
01-26-2009, 3:19 PM
Joe

I haven't done that but I've heard of something like it. What I remember is paying a fee to apply for approval to become a vendor.

Scott Shepherd
01-26-2009, 3:34 PM
Yup, heard of it before. Heck, we pay to be on the government lists already.

Angus Hines
01-26-2009, 3:48 PM
Please enlighten me Steve ???

Yup, heard of it before. Heck, we pay to be on the government lists already.

Scott Shepherd
01-26-2009, 3:53 PM
Sure thing, just send me $40 cash and I'll tell you :D

You can't get work from government offices if they don't know you exist. You have to pay to get on the list. Normally an "Application Fee".

Angus Hines
01-26-2009, 4:18 PM
LOL....Sure do you accept Money Orders from Kenya?:D

Sure thing, just send me $40 cash and I'll tell you :D

You can't get work from government offices if they don't know you exist. You have to pay to get on the list. Normally an "Application Fee".

Uma Duffy
02-12-2009, 3:30 PM
Our local teaching hospital is charging a fee based on how much business you do with them...primarily to identify conflicts of interest with BigPharma reps, I think. It involves a lengthy questionnaire that identifies relatives working at the hospital, what types of products are being sold, which employees of ours will be on their premises...pages and pages of questions. We used to really try and hold down costs for them....but not so much anymore. They hit us up for $100 + annually. I have to sell them a lot of stuff to make up for a charge like that...or I guess I can just factor it in to the prices. It really is the kind of thing designed to keep the big boys honest....but squeezes the life out of small shops.