PDA

View Full Version : '53 Unisaw Rebuild

Joe Scarfo
06-29-2004, 10:13 PM
Earlier in the week, I mentioned my '53 Unisaw rebuild over on the for sale page. .. and no this isn't for sale.

I mentioned someone had shared this saw actually belongs in the front room of some cat house with it's bright red powder coat and chromed handles.

It's not quite done, and pbly won't be till I move to bigger facilities. My hopes are to use one of the unisaw's as the ripper and the other as a dedicated dado saw...

Anyways.. here's where we are so far...

I have all the parts to complete the re assembly except new belts, and the mag switch. I till have the orig factory which I'm undecided on what to do with.

I'm also on the hunt for a repairable unifence or beis fence so they can be powder coated to match...

I hope to do the same w/ my Delta 4/6 x 12 combo sander and my delta 14" band saw...

OOOOOhhhhh rahhhhhh.

Tks for peeking.
Joe in Tampa...

John Miliunas
06-29-2004, 10:34 PM
Quite the ambitious project, Joe. You're doing nice with it! :) I'd be afraid of not getting everything back to where it belongs. :o Keep us posted with progress pics! :cool:

Dan Mages
06-30-2004, 8:59 AM
Looking good so far. That is gonna be one nice saw!!
Dan

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 9:38 AM
Outstanding. That's going to be a wonderfully restored machine when you're all done with it. It's also nice to see something that's not the same-old-same-old green/grey/ivory! Of course, you'll have to buy all that "stuff" to keep it "detailed"... :D

Chris Padilla
06-30-2004, 10:33 AM
Very cool, Joe! My father has an old Walker-Turner 16" bandsaw that someday I may get to restore like you are doing with that Delta! I think it would be a lot of fun. Thanks for posting! :)

Travis Lanman
06-30-2004, 12:06 PM
Looking good!! It sure takes a lot of work to restore these old machines. I just finished a 1930's lathe and now I've got a bandsaw out in the shop awaiting my attention. I'll probably finish by 2010 if I'm lucky. :D
Travis

Tyler Howell
06-30-2004, 12:32 PM
To nice Joe.;)

Dominic Greco
06-30-2004, 3:21 PM
I'm a big fan of old iron and I've done my share of rebuilds. My Unisaw rebuild was one of my favorites. If you follow the link below, you can see what I had to go through with mine. I think the article I wrote for WoodCentral may also help you find a replacement switch and v-belts.

A Great Saw is worth the effort (http://www.woodcentral.com/shots/shot264.shtml)

Email me if you have any questions.

Ralph Steffey
06-30-2004, 6:05 PM
:D Hey Joe the saw is looking good. I'll see you thursday night.

Joe Scarfo
06-30-2004, 6:55 PM
I'm lucky to have all the parts to complete this, including an oval motor cover, the dust chute door and knob, and the other little bits...

I need to get the cover powder coated as well since it was found well after the purchase.

Thanks for the feedback, I look forward to getting it into service one of these days... IF anyone runs into an old Unifence or Beis that could use paint restoration... think of me. It'll be powder coated red.

Joe in Tampa....