PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a stopped cut?

Art Davis
01-26-2009, 1:37 PM
I am sizing panels to make shelves for a small cabinet I am making. I have to notch the corners in a somewhat complex way to clear the legs.

Here's my question. How do I make these stopped cuts? I can't use the bandsaw for all of them because the ply panel I am using is too large. I have used my jigsaw and this works, but my hand isn't steady enough to keep the line from wandering a bit. So, squeeze out the woodfiller and sand.

Can you help me out here? Is there any way of making such stopped cuts in large panels accurately?

Thanks.

Art

Dave Haughs
01-26-2009, 1:45 PM
Set up guides for a router. Or better yet if you have multiple of the same cut make a template then use a flush cut bit on your router or bushings.

Greg Sznajdruk
01-26-2009, 1:53 PM
Use a speed square with your jig saw to keep your cut line straight.

Greg

Doug Shepard
01-26-2009, 2:01 PM
I've only done stopped cuts a few times on the TS but did those with a scrap block clamped to the fence to stop it. One side of the cut was always able to be done standing the piece up on edge against an aux. fence hooked to the miter gauge though, so no stopped cut required for that side. The stopped cuts took about 2 strokes with a hand saw to finish the cut.

Nate Folco
01-26-2009, 5:09 PM
Just use a hand saw. Cut close to the line and pare with a sharp chisel. You'd be done before you cobbled up special jig for the router or table saw.

glenn bradley
01-26-2009, 5:24 PM
If the jigsaw is a challenge to control (and even if its not) a pull saw (dozuki or the like) would be my choice. My jigsaw has variable speed and at low speeds with the right blade it is very easy to control. Wither way it sounds like a great chance to get a new jigsaw or a nice Japanese saw ;-)

Joe Scharle
01-26-2009, 6:09 PM
Use a speed square with your jig saw to keep your cut line straight.

Greg

Yup, that's the trick