PDA

View Full Version : Paint Fill - help needed

Doug Bergstrom
01-26-2009, 10:17 AM
We regularly produce machine plates that engraved with button and outlet positions. These are steel plates that come to us pre-painted and we laser mask, etch through the paint and paint fill the lettering. My question is this- We are trying to find a better way to paint fill these with either an enamel or automotive grade paint. A spray can paint doesn't give us a tight enough spray pattern to properly fill the type in the mask. Painting by hand tend to glob too much paint. I was thinking of a air brush but since I have never used one I am not sure if it will work. Does anyone do something similar to this?
Thanks
Doug

Rodne Gold
01-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Airbrush will work fine.

Doug Bergstrom
01-30-2009, 9:30 AM
Rodney - Thanks for the advise.

I bought an Iwata eclipse dual action, works incredibly well. I would highly recommend it for any paint filling application. The amount of control and fine mist of paint makes this ideal for all our paint fill needs. The fine type on these panels were crisp. See Photo - type is only 3/16" high

Thanks again

Scott Shepherd
01-30-2009, 10:38 AM
Looks good Doug. Is it a pain to have to remove the centers of O's, e's, B's, P's, etc? I mean removing the mask from those.

Martin Boekers
01-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Doug, are these one ups or low quantities?

If not you might consider setting up a small screen press.

Marty

Doug Bergstrom
01-30-2009, 1:13 PM
They need to be etched first for durability so screen isn't an option.

We use laser mask - it is a red plastic adhesive film. let the paint set up overnight and use a plastic razor blade to pop the inside of letters off. Takes a couple of seconds to clean the plate of all centers.

George Brown
01-30-2009, 1:26 PM
Do you have any problem with paint seeping in under the mask?

Also, where can you get the film, I assume on line?

Thanks

Doug Bergstrom
01-30-2009, 3:36 PM
With the airbrush there is no problem as you can see in the photo. I get it from Laserbits but I am trying to find another source. It is a Specialty Tapes product so I assume I can get it in other widths and lengths.

Larry Bratton
01-30-2009, 5:38 PM
I haven't bought one of these yet, but I am thinking about it. Looks like it might work well for color fills. It is called an AirPen and is not the same as an airbrush. Supposedly works more efficiently and you can change colors quickly.

http://www.artisan-es.com/AirPen.htm

If anyone has one, feedback would be appreciated.

James Stokes
01-31-2009, 11:57 AM
I have an airpen, Bought it just after I bought my first laser. I have tried to use it about a half dozen times. There are to many easier ways to paint fill other than that.

Rodne Gold
01-31-2009, 3:10 PM
You dont need a speciality tape for masking , paper based low tack viny application tape works perfectly. Its the tape used to apply vinyl letters

The laser blasts it away (its like masking tape) and once all the paint is dry in your case , making it wet will allow it to be "rolled" or wiped off. It's dirt cheap from any signage supply warehouse or vinyl supplier. Many places will carry it - many brands too - try em and see which one suits you.

Larry Bratton
01-31-2009, 3:36 PM
James:
I knew there was a reason I didn't buy it. Thanks for the info.

Doug Bergstrom
02-02-2009, 8:26 AM
Rodne- I agree with you on some items. We use paper tape and it will work but if the surface is not perfect and you have small type, paper mask will allow wicking and will not hold a sharp edge. This tape is plastic and does not absorb the paint at all. We do not use it for every job but it is a handy tool for consistent paint filling.