PDA

View Full Version : Inexpensive Fun Foam Signs

Steve Clarkson
01-26-2009, 9:45 AM
I was looking for a way to put a brief explanation on something....kind of like a sign. I could have printed something off on my laser printer.....but that doesn't show what the laser can do......so I came up with this idea:

I simply made an arrow using the perfect shape tool in Corel (a "hollow" one).....and then added some text ("This was NOT made in China!") inside the arrow. I then simply engraved and cut it out on Fun Foam (I bought a package of 50 multicolored sheets at Michaels for like $2). Took about 30 seconds to design, engrave and cut!

The benefit is the fun foam is very light and can easily be taped to almost anything.....it's inexpensive.....it's very easy to cut any shape and engrave any text.....you can make them as small as a few inches or as big as you can find a sheet of fun foam.....it doesn't look THAT cheesy.

I think it's perfect for anyone that does craft shows.....you can engrave things like "On Sale Now", "Buy One Get One Free" or anything you want to say....like "Notice the detail in this beautiful aztec calendar engraving"....with the arrow taped on the piece pointing to the area you want to highlight.

I'm always on the look out for things that are cheap, easy and can be made on the laser! Hope someone can use the idea!

Scott Challoner
01-26-2009, 10:51 AM
You can also find it with adhesive backing so you can make multi layer stuff. Hobby Lobby carries a ton of different colors. I just wish they carried the 1/4" (6mm) sheets.

Steve Clarkson
01-26-2009, 10:52 AM
Do you know ANYONE that carries the 1/4" sheets?

Joe Pelonio
01-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Joann's had it last time I was there (1/4")

Steve Clarkson
01-26-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks Joe!

Frank Corker
01-26-2009, 5:00 PM
).....and then added some text ("This was NOT made in China!") inside the arrow

You should really consider that some people might take this the wrong way and make a judgement about you, I'm not offended and I'm not one of your customers. Just thought I'd mention it.

Dan Hintz
01-26-2009, 5:27 PM
Frank has a point... maybe change the sign to "100% USA made"?

Steve Clarkson
01-26-2009, 5:46 PM
You're right.....I would never actually put something like that on anything I did......I was just using it as a joke for illustrative purposes.

It just shows my frustration that 99% of everything made in the world is made in China. It'll be our downfall someday.....

Bill Morrison
01-27-2009, 11:35 AM
I've written things not for public viewing, just practicing and can understand your doing that but I was just curious how you would know if the foam was not made in China or someplace other than the usa???

BIll

Steve Clarkson
01-27-2009, 12:42 PM
Ohhhhh....you thought I meant the FOAM not being made in China? No, I was referring to whatever the little foam sign was POINTING too.....like an engraved black marble portrait, etc.