PDA

View Full Version : Black Tile does NOT engrave

Dan Hintz
01-26-2009, 8:53 AM
During my last Borg run, I decided to pick up some random stuff to see what would engrave. One of those items was a glossy glazed black tile (I can check the UPS code for anyone interested, but I know it came from Home Depot).

Even with my 70W+, I could not make a dent in that stuff! I engraved the same image 4 times at 100P and sometimes going as low as 25S and nothing more than a faint image in the top glaze. Never once did I break through to the white tile base. That's some tough stuff!

Just a warning to those wanting something new... don't waste your money.

Stephen Beckham
01-26-2009, 9:01 AM
Dan,

Have any rub-n-buff? Rub some Gold in that now - you might be surprised to find out you busted the glaze with micro-fractures that will hold the RnB in place... I do that on customer owned ceramic mugs and fill with black or gold...

Or... You really did find an immovable object and your laser couldn't get through the surface.

Joe Pelonio
01-26-2009, 9:03 AM
Tile from the borgs may or may not engrave, as you found out. Best to buy just one and try it. If you find one that does work, buy a few boxes because they may not always have it. I still have some of a few boxes I bought of one white tile called "calypso" from HD that engraves a nice dark brown. I have not seen it there again since.

Dan Hintz
01-26-2009, 10:55 AM
Joe, my HD seems to stock the white tile many have had good results with (not Taglione, but some similar name), but I decided since the black was a few pennies I'd try it out.

Stephen, No Rub-n-Buff yet, but I have no doubt my next trip to Michael's will result in a larger than usual basket at the check-out counter. I first tried images on a 12x12 black granite tile, but so far the results have been less than stellar... at best, I can see some okay detail, but it's obvious I have a lot of learning to do. I decided to try my hand at glass, and while the single-color logos turned out beautifully, the pictures came out way over-developed... the entire square was touched by the laser, with zero untouched spots, so the look was almost holographic. You could see a faint image if you turned the glass just right, but other than that it sucked.

Time to pick up some more granite and glass to play with settings. I don't yet know if it's my laser settings or my pre-processing for the images that's at fault, but it's obvious there's a screw loose with the nut behind the keyboard.

Stephen Beckham
01-26-2009, 11:05 AM
... but other than that it sucked.....

Now Dan, don't hold back any, tell us how you really feel about it....:D