PDA

View Full Version : PSI clamps are good enough

Doug Jones
06-29-2004, 8:28 PM
This is not a gloat, its just a small note to let people like me (limited funds for tools) know that Penn States clamp sale is still going on. The picture below is all the clamps that came in todays mail. The sizes range from 36" down to 12" and four different styles. Best of all I got all these clamps for less than three 48" Bessey K-Body or Jorgy Cabinet Master clamps.
Thanks for looking, Doug

Tyler Howell
06-29-2004, 8:47 PM
Doug that is too a gloat!

Nice haul!;)

Waymon Campbell
06-29-2004, 9:19 PM

Nice haul!;)

I second Tyler's motion. The gavel wraps. Motion carries. That is definitely a gloat...and a nice one at that. :cool:

Greg Heppeard
06-29-2004, 9:32 PM
Nice haul....I think you'll like them better than the others because they are in your shop and the others are still on the shelf in the store. lol From what I can see in the pic, they look fine. May they serve you well.

ps I voted "GLOAT"

Joseph N. Myers
06-30-2004, 9:00 PM
smc_040630_clamps

I have and am doing a lot of edge gluing and over the years, bought about 20 clamps, mostly quick-grips. There were glue-ups all over the place and I couldn’t get any work done. Went out and brought a 43" Plano clamping system which clamps on all 4 sides. I can clamp pieces 43" wide by 10' long but usually keep it to 8'. I do a lot of 7" wide by 3' pieces and can easily do 4 of them at a time. 4 in the morning, 4 in the evening, 8/day.

The system was not cheap, say around $600., but at the time, almost cheaper than those $40 "good" clamps. An a lot less space and time. And I bought it while I was working, now retire and a different story. If the PSI’s were available, it might have been a different story

Regards, Joe

Jim Becker
06-30-2004, 9:06 PM
Joe makes an important point...you need to at least have some pipe clamps or similar weight heavy clamps to do panel glue-ups. The quick grip types and light "F" clamps are not good for that purpose due to excessive deflection when you crank them down and their inability to exert a lot of pressure over a distance. The good news is that there are some new versions of pipe clamps that have the "feet", such as those from Irwin and Rockler, that help support the clamp and work better, similar to the parallel jaw clamps from Bessey, Jorgie or Gross Stabel. (sp?)

(Joe, if I had a proper wall for it, I'd surely consider the Plano system...it's sweet)

Byron Trantham
06-30-2004, 9:15 PM
Doug,
Gloat or not, that's one nice haul. :D

Let's see now where was I going to hang all these puppies.....? :confused:

Ed Moehlenpah
07-01-2004, 4:21 PM
I took the advice from a sales person at the last ww show here in San Mateo, and attached it to my woodrack built from plans from Shopnotes magazine. Essentially, I have "outriggers" from the woodrack for support for the 4x8 plywood wall that's attached. The Plano system is attached to the 4x8 sheet of plywood. I had to build a "floor" attached to the woodrack for the feet of the plano clamps to rest on. I only have 3 clamps, but I really like the system. I'd take a picture, but the neatness police (are there any on this forum) would arrest me quickly.

Having said this, I still have a bunch of bessey's, bessey K-clamps as well as pipe clamps and assorted jorgensens. They are all useful.

Ed

Jim Becker
07-01-2004, 4:25 PM
Ed, that's a great idea. Unfortunately for me, most of my lumber rack is obscured by my DC/compressor closet. What I will likely do is build a knock-down frame to support the clamp system that I can store "upstairs" Further, I may actually change my plans for the upstairs to include a "bench room" for assembly and hand tool work. That would make space utilization for my shop a lot easier but not interfere with my office plans. Who knows? It's still a ways off...

aurelio alarcon
07-02-2004, 9:55 AM
This is not a gloat, its just a small note to let people like me (limited funds for tools) know that Penn States clamp sale is still going on. The picture below is all the clamps that came in todays mail. The sizes range from 36" down to 12" and four different styles. Best of all I got all these clamps for less than three 48" Bessey K-Body or Jorgy Cabinet Master clamps.
Thanks for looking, Doug
what's your opinion on those quick clamps/spreaders? I bought some similar to those at Sears when they were on sale for about 9 bucks for the 12 inch ones. Mine are excellent for situations where I need a free hand. I have eight of them and use them on a regular basis. They will not pull together two very stubborn pieces but, fortunately for me, those times are rare, and I just pull out my pipe clamps for those rare occasions.

Gary Whitt
07-02-2004, 10:14 AM
Good buy and good gloat!!!! :rolleyes:

I, too, purchase "other" brands for my projects. :eek:
I use Irwin (pipe and bar) and HF heavy duty pipe clamps.
I can't justify the extra $$ on B's and J's.
The $$ I save on clamps goes into saw blades, router bits, etc.! :D

Doug Jones
07-02-2004, 10:57 AM
what's your opinion on those quick clamps/spreaders? I bought some similar to those at Sears when they were on sale for about 9 bucks for the 12 inch ones. Mine are excellent for situations where I need a free hand. I have eight of them and use them on a regular basis. They will not pull together two very stubborn pieces but, fortunately for me, those times are rare, and I just pull out my pipe clamps for those rare occasions.
Aurelio, I haven't had the chance to use them yet, however the other ones that I have had for a while I use quite often for the lighter side of woodworking. When I need more pressure I grab the pipe clamps.

Good buy and good gloat!!!! :rolleyes:

I, too, purchase "other" brands for my projects. :eek:
I use Irwin (pipe and bar) and HF heavy duty pipe clamps.
I can't justify the extra $$ on B's and J's.
The $$ I save on clamps goes into saw blades, router bits, etc.! :D

Gary, I agree clamps are important, but I can make due with other "off brand" clamps.

Nice haul!;)

I second Tyler's motion. The gavel wraps. Motion carries. That is definitely a gloat...and a nice one at that. :cool:

Nice haul....ps I voted "GLOAT"
Ok, maybe it was a little gloat,,,,,. Mainly it was a way to let others know that there are quality clamps for sale out there.
Who knows, one day when I get all the kids out of the house, I might be able to see what all the fuss is about the "good" clamps. Until then I gotta do what is within my budget.

Ed Moehlenpah
08-04-2004, 11:37 PM
As you can see, it didn't take up much more room than the wood rack takes, and frees up a wall (as if I had any walls to spare).
Ed

Jack Young
08-05-2004, 12:25 AM
Doug -

It is a gloat any way you cut it. And a well deserved one.

I have been making do, more or less, with intermediate weight clamps from Garrett Wade, acquired on one of their occasional price cuts and with miscellaneous, odd bar clamps . They work fine for most purposes, though I know I will need more muscle for things coming up soon.

Jim Becker mentioned the Rockler bar clamp fixtures with the "feet" which have been rather attractive to me, but I don't know anyone who has used them. Do any of you guys have experience with those clamps? I'd love to know if they are as good as it seems they might be. If so, getting some will relieve my sense of debt to Rockler for the catalogs which arrive almost daily.

Jack

sascha gast
08-05-2004, 4:24 AM
doug, get the rockler clamps, i have a few of them and they are great, a good investment. even if you get 2-3 3footers, you'll see.

Tyler Howell
08-05-2004, 7:09 AM
As you can see, it didn't take up much more room than the wood rack takes, and frees up a wall (as if I had any walls to spare).
EdEd,
Nice Set up. Portable, accessable, and space saving.
Like it.;)

Tyler Howell
08-05-2004, 7:17 AM
I agree Doug! Good finds and wonderful treasures are out there without selecting from the top shelf. It's just Ive been burned so many times trying to economize (sp). That's why this and other forums are so great, picking the minds of those that have gone before and tested the waters. Thanks for sharing.;)

Mainly it was a way to let others know that there are quality clamps for sale out there.
.[/QUOTE]

Tyler Howell
08-05-2004, 7:25 AM
doug, get the rockler clamps, i have a few of them and they are great, a good investment. even if you get 2-3 3footers, you'll see.Sacha and Doug,
Rockler has a light weight aluminum clamp with extenssions that I haven't had good luck with. They flex so much, then the hard plastic cushion pads they sell extra are so slippery they pop right off. :eek:

I have been very happy with their new pipe clamps. Stand a little taller, good feature for storing and attaching acc.
Good Luck;)