PDA

View Full Version : Musings of a Mountain Madman-re sawing and splitting.

Hilel Salomon
01-25-2009, 6:52 PM
Today is the first day I managed to go into my shop and really turn on the lathe. Only managed to finish two bowls (not the bottoms yet) which had been drying, but I thought I'd share some of my experiences with you about sawing and splitting wood.
First of all, there are a few members every year who want to know how big a chainsaw to get.
The young man who is cutting down my very large poplars to take to a mill uses a Husky 371 w/a 20 inch bar. He takes down trees w/20-30" diameter trunks. He also was kind enough to use his skid loader to haul down from the mountains some huge oaks which the wind had blown over. They too are in the 25+" inches in diameter and when I cut off 21 inch lengths to fit into my wood stove, the slabs weigh well over 200 pounds, because they are wet. I'll get some pieces for turning, but I have 3 huge trees to tend to, and it's been cold!!
One thing that I noticed about these oaks. Turners love to use burly areas and places where branches have sprouted out. Splitters hate them as they crack in strange and sometimes dangerous ways.
Well, back to baby sitting, sawing and splitting, but I will do some turning now. I have a question about heating my shop but will do that elsewhere.
Hope all of you are well.
Regards, Hilel.

Steve Mawson
01-25-2009, 7:01 PM
Agree that the best turning wood comes from burls, crotches etc. Fortunately that is the least desired for lumber and fire wood.

Don Carter
01-25-2009, 7:39 PM
Hilel:
Stay warm but also stay safe with all the wood cutting. It has even been cold down here in MS.

All the best.

Don

Jim Kountz
01-25-2009, 8:10 PM
Hilel, that Husky is a nice saw, Im in the market for a new chainsaw and have been drooling over them and of course the Stihls. Believe it or not Im using an old Crapsman I bought at a yard sale for $25 two years ago before I even got into turning. Back then I just wanted something to clean up around the woods here with. It does ok and cuts really nice but its way underpowered for what Im doing now which is cutting up 15" and larger blanks to core on the lathe. Also it only has a 16" bar and a 20" would be way nicer. Stay safe and warm out in dem woods!!

Steve Schlumpf
01-25-2009, 8:20 PM
Hilel - Welcome back! I have a Husky 357 XP with a 20" bar and am seriously thinking of moving up to a 24" bar. I don't get that many trees up here with that big of a diameter but the extra length comes in handy when ripping the logs! The 357 XP is one heck of a chainsaw and can rip through wood faster than anything I have ever seen before!

Bernie Weishapl
01-25-2009, 9:39 PM
Hilel good to see you back and turning. I like my stihl with a 18" bar. It will hog some wood.

Hilel Salomon
01-26-2009, 8:50 AM
Gosh it is good to hear from all of you.
One other note about saws and chains. If you do go for Stihl or Husky, make sure you don't get the really cheap ones. Just to round out my collection, I got a medium sized Solo and a Makita made by Sachs Dolmar. The problem with both of these is in the potential servicing of them around here or in Columbia.
Now about chains. If you're cutting green wood and almost all of us are, you might consider skip tooth chains. They are great for really wet wood, are easier to sharpen and faster. Unfortunately, they are not "safety chains" and you absolutely need to wear safety equipment.
Regards all,
Hilel.