PDA

View Full Version : More Jointer Questions

Jonathan Spool
01-25-2009, 4:54 PM
I am almost 100% sure I will purchase a Grizzly G0609 jointer in the next month or 2. My question relates to getting the G0609X head, or the Byrd Shelix head. The Grizzly is not set for a shear cut like the Shelix (blades are in a spiral, but the individual edges run straight on).
I heard a comment that the Byrd head cuts are "scalloped" to some degree, and are therefore not good for glue edges, but excellent for face surfacing, and the Grizzly head is better for edge cuts. Is there any truth to this?
If the Byrd Shelix is better, all around, than I will get the G0609 and deal with the difficult install of the spiral head. If the Grizzly style spiral head is equal, or better than the Byrd Shelix, I will get the G0609X and not have to deal with any mods.

I saw thyat Grizzly makes a 8" model that has rack and pinion fence movement and digital table readout. Is there any benefit at all to having these features on a jointer?? Besides rabiting, does it make any difference at all if the fence is not running perfectly perpendicular to the head??

How have othyer users of jointers dealt with the metal to metal of the fence and the outfeed table. Will stickum UHMW tape work?

Is it just me, or does the iron used in new tools scratch a whole lot easier than the tables of the old tools?

Thats it!
Thanks
Jonathan

Andy McCormick
01-25-2009, 6:20 PM
I have a G9860 with a Byrd Shelix cutter and never had any issues with the Cutter. I installed it myself and glad I did.

glenn bradley
01-25-2009, 6:42 PM
I don't see the advantage of the digital readout. I run the factory installed head on my G0490X and am very happy with it.

Phil Harding
01-25-2009, 7:01 PM
I am almost 100% sure I will purchase a Grizzly G0609 jointer in the next month or 2. My question relates to getting the G0609X head, or the Byrd Shelix head. The Grizzly is not set for a shear cut like the Shelix (blades are in a spiral, but the individual edges run straight on).
I heard a comment that the Byrd head cuts are "scalloped" to some degree, and are therefore not good for glue edges, but excellent for face surfacing, and the Grizzly head is better for edge cuts. Is there any truth to this?
If the Byrd Shelix is better, all around, than I will get the G0609 and deal with the difficult install of the spiral head. If the Grizzly style spiral head is equal, or better than the Byrd Shelix, I will get the G0609X and not have to deal with any mods.

I saw thyat Grizzly makes a 8" model that has rack and pinion fence movement and digital table readout. Is there any benefit at all to having these features on a jointer?? Besides rabiting, does it make any difference at all if the fence is not running perfectly perpendicular to the head??

How have othyer users of jointers dealt with the metal to metal of the fence and the outfeed table. Will stickum UHMW tape work?

Is it just me, or does the iron used in new tools scratch a whole lot easier than the tables of the old tools?

Thats it!
Thanks
Jonathan

Jonathan, I have a Grizzly 0609X 12" jointer with the Grizzly head. Before buying this I used a Grizzly 8" jointer with a Shelix head that I installed. I also have a Delta 15" planer with a Shelix head that I installed. Before deciding to buy the 0609X I was also concerned whether the Grizzly head would work as well as the Shelix. But, honestly I can not tell the difference between the cut quality from the two heads. In my estimation the Grizzly head gives a finish as smooth as the Shelix and there doesn't appear to be any difference in tearout on the curly and birdseye maple I like to work with. After jointing one face and running the other through the planer I can not tell the two faces apart. If I ever bought a bigger jointer or planer I would have no qualms about buying them with the Grizzly head.

I think a rack and pinion movement on the jointer fence may be convenient but I wouldn't pay extra for it. And, I wouldn't want it if it adds depth to the back of the jointer - the 0609 already takes up a lot of floor space.

Don't be concerned about the fence rubbing on the outfeed table - it doesn't. There's at least a 1/16" to 1/8" gap between the bottom of the fence and the outfeed table.

I'm very happy with the 0609X, but it was a bear getting it into my basement shop:D.

-- Phil

Jonathan Spool
01-25-2009, 9:14 PM
Thanks,
Nice to hear results from someone who has first hand experience with both! Now to schedule a trip to Bellingham and line up friends toget it in the shop (basement, but I do have a narrow ramp down to the door).
Jonathan

Tom Leasure
01-26-2009, 2:43 PM
Jonathan, I have a Grizzly 0609X 12" jointer with the Grizzly head. Before buying this I used a Grizzly 8" jointer with a Shelix head that I installed. I also have a Delta 15" planer with a Shelix head that I installed. Before deciding to buy the 0609X I was also concerned whether the Grizzly head would work as well as the Shelix. But, honestly I can not tell the difference between the cut quality from the two heads. In my estimation the Grizzly head gives a finish as smooth as the Shelix and there doesn't appear to be any difference in tearout on the curly and birdseye maple I like to work with. After jointing one face and running the other through the planer I can not tell the two faces apart. If I ever bought a bigger jointer or planer I would have no qualms about buying them with the Grizzly head.

I think a rack and pinion movement on the jointer fence may be convenient but I wouldn't pay extra for it. And, I wouldn't want it if it adds depth to the back of the jointer - the 0609 already takes up a lot of floor space.

Don't be concerned about the fence rubbing on the outfeed table - it doesn't. There's at least a 1/16" to 1/8" gap between the bottom of the fence and the outfeed table.

I'm very happy with the 0609X, but it was a bear getting it into my basement shop:D.

-- Phil

Jonathan - Ditto on Phil's post - But Phil how id you get that tank inot a basement ?? I'm on ground level and had a time just getting it inot my shop ??

Tom

Alex Shanku
01-26-2009, 3:31 PM

I saw thyat Grizzly makes a 8" model that has rack and pinion fence movement and digital table readout. Is there any benefit at all to having these features on a jointer??

I cant see ANY reason for paying more for this. Seems to be correcting a problem that doesnt exist, imo.

Besides rabiting, does it make any difference at all if the fence is not running perfectly perpendicular to the head??

I am not a metallurgist, but I would wonder how modern (asian)cast iron is produced. Do they use the Meehanite process? If not, i doubt it is left to season for a while. I read that Powermatic used to leave their casting alone for up to a year prior to machining to let the stresses of casting the iron even out. Anyone who knows more about this care to jump in?

Thats it!
Thanks
Jonathan

Neal Clayton
01-26-2009, 5:10 PM
someone else brought up the point in another thread, and it makes sense to me, that the diameter of these spiral heads makes a big difference in the finish.

i have the 8" grizzly jointer with their spiral head, and it does leave a scalloped finish. that head is maybe 2.5" in diameter.

on the other hand i have a 4" spiral head on my planer, and any scalloping on it is imperceptible.

i don't particularly mind, i don't typically glue edges and just cut both sides on my table saw to eliminate any scalloping. but it does exist, and i think the smaller diameter on the jointer heads is the culprit.