PDA

View Full Version : Mission Accomplished, finally.

Bob Marino
06-29-2004, 4:10 PM
Here are some pics of the Arts and Craft sofa that I just finished. Way, way overdue.

The wood is all qswo, except for the corbels, which are curly qswo.

The finish is a blend of cherry and walnut Watco, followed by a burnt umber glaze and top coated with GF's ArmRSeal. The cushions are leather and deep maroon, not a bright red as may appear here.

The last picture puts the sofa int perspective in the room.

Thanks for lookin'.

Bob

Peter Kuhlman
06-29-2004, 4:21 PM
That is truly impressive Bob. Beautiful job!! Really like the finish.
Pete

Donnie Raines
06-29-2004, 4:21 PM
Very nice work.

I wonder if it is the Festool items or the artisan that made this project so cool........hmmmmmmm :rolleyes: :cool: ;)

Wes Bischel
06-29-2004, 4:37 PM
Bob,

That's one nice sofa! As far as being overdue - quality takes time and it doesn't look like there was any time saving done here.

Now it's time to enjoy it.
Wes

Jim Becker
06-29-2004, 4:41 PM
Looks really great with that fireplace surround, too...great job, Bob!

JayStPeter
06-29-2004, 5:03 PM
Looks great Bob.

Did you make the cushions yourself also?

Jay

Byron Trantham
06-29-2004, 5:12 PM
Bob, beautiful addition to the room!

Dick Parr
06-29-2004, 5:23 PM
Very nice Bob!

Mark Mazzo
06-29-2004, 5:25 PM
Bob,

That's really nice work on the sofa. I like the finish. I've used the Watco Cherry and Watco Medium Walnut combo for a mission finish on QS White Oak and it was OK, but I thought that it might be missing something. I notice that you used a burnt umber glaze to color the wood as well. Can you share any info on the process/products that you used? How did it change the color from just the steps of the Watco coloring?

Again great work, it looks terriffic in the setting with the fireplace surround.

-- Mark

Steve Jenkins
06-29-2004, 5:50 PM
Very nice Bob. It was worth the wait. Steve

Bob Marino
06-29-2004, 5:58 PM
Bob,

That's really nice work on the sofa. I like the finish. I've used the Watco Cherry and Watco Medium Walnut combo for a mission finish on QS White Oak and it was OK, but I thought that it might be missing something. I notice that you used a burnt umber glaze to color the wood as well. Can you share any info on the process/products that you used? How did it change the color from just the steps of the Watco coloring?

Again great work, it looks terriffic in the setting with the fireplace surround.

-- Mark
Jay,

Hell no! My six year old would be graduating high school before I complted that part of it. Seriously, I am not at all familair with the process and wanted it done correctly.

Mark,

The glaze is a thick oil base product that is wiped on and off after the basic stain is applied and dry. It fills in the open pores with a dark color ala "mission finish." The particular brand is Behlen. Jeff Jewitt has some excellent info on Mission finishing on his site.

Bob

Todd Burch
06-29-2004, 5:58 PM
Way to go Bob! Now, you can kick back, sit in your couch, prop your feet up - NO WAIT - you haven't made your coffee table yet - nix the "prop the feet up" thing. Anyway, congratulate yourself and have a cool one on me!

Great job!! Love that color!!

John Shuk
06-29-2004, 7:57 PM
I'm speechless Bob....or should I call you Gustav? Wonderful choice on the rays in that wood. Man alive is that nice. QSWO is one of my favorites just because of work like that.

Tony Falotico
06-29-2004, 8:01 PM
Way to go Bob, great project ! Perfection does not come with speed.

John Renzetti
06-29-2004, 8:11 PM
Great job Bob! And all this time I just thought you only sold tools and now I realize you actually use them. :)
talk to you later,
John

Chris Padilla
06-29-2004, 8:16 PM
Beautiful work, Bob! I'll have to show the LOML your QSWO...she's recently disovered how cool this wood is although she wasn't a fan of oak at all...flatsawn oak but qso has caught her eye.

Bill Esposito
06-29-2004, 8:37 PM
Bob,

Simply gorgeous....even if I dont know what qswo or corbels are ;)

Lloyd Robins
06-29-2004, 8:40 PM
Very nice work! I am certain that a lot of it was done by hand. Did you use a plan or form it on your own? If you used a plan, which one? :)

Bob Marino
06-29-2004, 8:43 PM
Very nice work! I am certain that a lot of it was done by hand. Did you use a plan or form it on your own? If you used a plan, which one? :)

Llyod,

The plans were from all things...Popular Merchanics! I was reading about it on the Woodonline forum and someone had mentioned and as I remembered posted pics.

Bob

Frank Pellow
06-29-2004, 8:43 PM
Very nice Bob. I think the leather goes very well with it. At the risk of placing yet another project on my to-do list, I showed my wife your work. She is a big fan of mission furniture and we need a new couch.

Margaret really really likes what you have done. So, now I have another potential project on the horizon (but not until I have finished my shop).

Jason Tuinstra
06-29-2004, 9:43 PM
Bob, that looks fantastic! The finish really allows those rays to do their thing. Great job. Have another cold one on Tood :D

JayStPeter
06-29-2004, 9:52 PM
Jay,

Hell no! My six year old would be graduating high school before I complted that part of it. Seriously, I am not at all familair with the process and wanted it done correctly.
Bob

I would hire that out too. But, when Festool comes out with an upholstery sewing machine, you're gonna have to learn :D

Jay

John Miliunas
06-29-2004, 10:39 PM
Yowza' dude! I've seen the progress pics and was impressed enough, but now it all truly comes together in a most wonderful way! :D Gorgeous. And, I don't mean the wood or the finish or the leather or style or *any* single item. I mean the WHOLE shootin' match! :D Great job, my friend! :cool:

Christopher Pine
06-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Beautiful!

Ken Fitzgerald
06-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Bob.......Absolutely beautiful! You never have to apologize for taking the time to do good work! Again, beautiful!

Dennis Peacock
06-29-2004, 11:00 PM
Very, Very nice Bob.!!!!! LOML wants one now.! :eek: Gee thanks for adding yet another project to me ever increasing list of things to make for the LOML!!! ;)

You did that wood real good Bob!!!! I am very proud for you and your accomplishments! :)

Terry Hatfield
06-29-2004, 11:23 PM
Bob,

Fantastic!!!! I love it.

Terry

Jim Harsha
06-30-2004, 1:35 AM
WELL DONE!! Looks like it was worth all the hard effort. What's next?

Mark Singer
06-30-2004, 1:58 AM
Bob,
Excellent work and great design!!! Really well done. I can see a bit of resawing in that piece.

Kelly C. Hanna
06-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Beautiful work!!

Christian Aufreiter
06-30-2004, 2:49 PM
Very nice sofa, Bob. I'm really impressed of your work. What will be your next project?

Christian

Bob Marino
06-30-2004, 11:37 PM
Very nice sofa, Bob. I'm really impressed of your work. What will be your next project?

Christian

Probably a gate for the fence to my backyard and then maybe a deck, but obviously the sofa needs a table :D

Bob