PDA

View Full Version : Thanks!

Dave Novak
01-25-2009, 3:57 PM
About a week ago I decided my life was woefully incomplete because I didn't own a decent handplane. Based on the advice of very helpful, experienced creekers I just received a LN low angle jack and a LN low angle block, both with adjustable throats. I'm in heaven! I've really never held anything this well made. Anyway, I've lived with some Red Oak dog hole inserts that were higher than the rest of my bench for 8 years because I didn't have the right tool to level them out. My new LN goodness fixed that problem in 15 minutes and one beer. The only problem is that my life is still terribly incomplete. I need at least 4 more of these bad boys. When LOML figured out I spent roughy $450 on these two planes, she asked me if I was going to build a display case for them. I told her of course, but not until I have at least 7 of them. I had to tell her there's plenty of things we can cut back on around the house so I can get more planes. She rolled her eyes. Anyway, thanks for pointing in the right direction guys.

Alan DuBoff
01-25-2009, 4:16 PM
The LN LA Jack (#62) is one of my favorite planes, and the LA block plane is a dandy as well, like all of their tools. I use an older Stanley 60 1/2, but have a LN Rabbet Block.

I don't own many common bench planes, but the #62 (especially with the extra blades) is one of the most functional tools I own.

Xlnt choice, whoever recommended it to you. :)

Bruce Page
01-25-2009, 4:20 PM
I got the LN low angle jack for Christmas and you're right, it is one sweet plane!

Seth Poorman
01-25-2009, 4:43 PM
Hey Dave
Im glad that you got your priorities straight..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.........LOL...

I have the LN #4 bronze.......Talk about well made plane.....And Creekers here helped me all the way....works like a dream!!!!!!!:)

Hank Knight
01-25-2009, 4:51 PM
Welcome to the slippery slope! It's a fun ride and there's no bottom, at least that I've found.

Phillip Pattee
01-25-2009, 9:55 PM
Dave,
Congrats on the planes. As for the LOYL and the price of the planes, well you just have to put them in perspective for her. Start drooling over planes made by Karl Holtey, Sauer and Steiner, Clark and Williams, and other fine makers like Philip Marcou, Steve Knight, and Ron Brese. If she goes into shell shock over the price of a Holtey plane, maybe she'll let you buy 3 or 4 more Lie-Nielsens or even one of the reasonably priced infill planes from Ron Brese.:D