PDA

View Full Version : Corel rounded corners problem

Dave Johnson29
01-25-2009, 3:15 PM
Hi All,

I have obviously done something wrong.

I have some rectangles with rounded corners and they look fine. I added some text then added another rectangle and set rounded corners to 10.

The corners on this 3-1/2" x 2" rectangle seem to be proportional to the width hight ratio of the rectangle. The corners appear elliptical rather than evenly rounded.

What have inadvertently done so that I can undone it? :eek:

Thanks

Mike Null
01-25-2009, 4:58 PM
That is a quirk of Corel when you change the size of a rectangle. Your best bet is to convert the rectangle to curves then go Window, docker, fillet, chamfer, scallop and round the corners there.

Dave Johnson29
01-25-2009, 5:31 PM
That is a quirk of Corel when you change the size of a rectangle.

Aaaarrggghh, thanks Mike. :)

I finally created a new rectangle the size I wanted and then sat it on top (E+C) and then deleted the old one.

I am sort of glad it is a quirk as I scoured the help with nooo success at all.

At least it will save frustration the next time it happens.

Bob Cole
01-25-2009, 5:39 PM
I always use the "fillet" function for this type of work.

Dave Johnson29
01-25-2009, 6:23 PM
I always use the "fillet" function for this type of work.

Thanks Bob, Fillet is sadly missing from Version 10. Does not get a mention in the Help either.

Scott Shepherd
01-25-2009, 6:29 PM
Dave, you can also put "snap to objects" on, resize your rectangle, then draw another rectangle on top of it, snapping to the 2 opposite corners to make a new box on top of the old one. Then you can just click on the old one, delete it, and you should be okay to work with it, since you don't have the fillet option.

Abdul Baseer Hai
01-25-2009, 10:46 PM
Dave
If I understand your problem correctly, you need to run a gms macro from your GMS directory. I am attaching the macro. You can store it in the GMS directory and then run it as a VBA macro. That will perfectly round the lop-sided corners.
If you need any further help, just ask.
Abdul

Dave Johnson29
01-26-2009, 7:54 AM
I am attaching the macro. You can store it in the GMS directory and then run it as a VBA macro. That will perfectly round the lop-sided corners.

Hi Abdul,

Thanks very much for that. I have grabbed a copy and will install it later today.

Looks like I need to look into the VBA programming and see what else I can add to v10.

Thanks for sharing that. It is very much appreciated.

Mike Null
01-26-2009, 8:01 AM
Dave

Abdul has given you a good suggestion.

This is a good source of Corel macros.

http://www.oberonplace.com/vba/drawmacros/index.htm

Paul Brinkmeyer
01-26-2009, 9:49 AM
From another thread, I found this helpfull.

DRAW sees the object at the original size, rounds the corners and then stretches it..which produces elongated corners.

A quick fix is to undo the rounding and use Fillet/Chamfer/Scallop...this is also handy as it has absolute units vs. the rectangle only support rounding in the % of the longest axis.

A second quick fix is to have only that rectangle selected and then hold the shift key and double click on the rectangle tool...this will create a new rectangle the same size as the original one....delete the original one and the round the corners of the new one.

T.

Abdul Baseer Hai
01-26-2009, 11:42 AM
Paul
Here is another GMS file, Unscale Rectangle GMS. This one unscales the distorted corners of a rectangle while the previous one only rounds corners of a curve.
Use this one

Here are samples of something I have done on Cork and Alder (plaque)

abdul

George Brown
01-26-2009, 1:17 PM
Paul
Here is another GMS file, Unscale Rectangle GMS. This one unscales the distorted corners of a rectangle while the previous one only rounds corners of a curve.
Use this one

Here are samples of something I have done on Cork and Alder (plaque)

abdul
That cork image is really nice! What settings did you use on the laser. Was the image processed through photograv?

Nice work

Paul Brinkmeyer
01-26-2009, 1:52 PM
I 2nd the cork questiions, Looks real good

Dave Johnson29
01-26-2009, 2:04 PM
This is a good source of Corel macros.

Thanks Mike, that is a cool site and I have bookmarked it. I am guessing but with enough macros v10 could almost emulate X3. ;)

Abdul Baseer Hai
01-26-2009, 3:02 PM
George and Paul

Thanks.
The cork is actually a placemat sold by a store called JYSK in Canada. I wonder if you have this store in the States. The size is 12 x 16.
Yes I did use Photograv, (I cant live without it).
In Material selection, I selected Medium Tan Rough Leather.
On a 50 watt machine the settings are:
Speed 100
Power 20
DPI 300

Dont increase the power as cork burns very easily.
Make sure that there are no major shade variations in the image when you process it for input into Photograv. This is mainly true for cork as the darker areas burn quickly while you may only have a very light and faint
image of the lighter areas.

Abdul

Ray Uebner
01-27-2009, 3:00 PM
Great posts all. Thanks I am still learning Corel but you guys have great info and places to find it all. Thanks again.