PDA

View Full Version : Point Magu, CA Sights?

Bruce Page
01-25-2009, 1:25 PM
I’m heading to Point Magu NAS tomorrow AM to do some week long component level testing. I’ll have evenings free (hopefully), are there any cool sights to see in the area?

Frank Hagan
01-25-2009, 3:52 PM
Point Mugu NAS is just north of Malibu and adjacent to Oxnard and Ventura. It is now part of the combined Naval Air Base, Ventura County. I live in Oxnard, so I know the local area, but I'm not sure what kind of "sights" you are interested in. Most of our activities are centered around daytime activities (hiking, kayaking, etc.)

Nature:
On the base itself is a lagoon that is often a resting place for California Brown Pelicans, seals and other sea life that most visitors to California never see. Mugu Lagoon is past the airfield, near the motel and the small houses on the beach (is that where they are billeting you?). Take a drive out there if there's sunlight left. It can be stunning if you like that sort of thing; I have seen dozens of seals sunning themselves and hundreds of pelicans (and when you see them, remember that in the late 1970s, there were less than a 100 total of these birds left; they have made a remarkable comeback).

Food:
Andrias: Ventura Harbor has a quaint harbor village atmosphere that still has some working boats. Its nice to walk around, and Andria's Seafood there is a local favorite. Its a super-casual place, complete with sticky vinyl tablecloths over plastic tables, but the fresh seafood is pretty good.

Sportsman's Lounge is a favorite of steak lovers in Ventura as well, although I have not eaten there myself. Its in Ventura.

Yolandas is a "California style" Mexican resturant that is a local favorite, although I'm sure it is similar to your local fare at home (it does not have any "Tex-Mex" influence). They have a new place in Oxnard, just about two miles from the base, on Victoria Street.

Toppers is in Port Hueneme, the adjacent town to the base, and is the local's favorite for pizza and a great, but small salad bar. I always mix some cilantro into my salad.

Nightlife:
Its pretty sedate around here (although that may be a reflection of my tastes rather than the environment ... one of the sailors could probably fill you in on it better than I). Main Street in Ventura has a nice Irish pub and a couple of other clubs that are more mainstream. There's a comedy club in Ventura Harbor.

Sights nearby:
If you have enough daylight left, and have a car, you can see some incredible kite surfing in Ventura. Find your way to Emma Woods State Beach and you'll see them (you can also see them from the Ventura pier, but you're a mile or two away). These guys fly ... up to 30 MPH ... on surfboards while holding on kites that are trying to rip their arms off.

CSUCI (Cal State University Channel Islands) has been formed out of the old Camarillo State Hospital, which some say was the inspiration for the song "Hotel California" by the Eagles. Is that bell tower the same as on the album cover? I have my doubts, but I don't think the Eagles have ever confirmed or denied the rumor. It is very close to the entrance to the NAS.

For real "nightlife", Santa Monica is a nice drive down Hwy 1 ... the famed Pacific Coast Highway ... and Los Angeles is about 45 miles away. LA has everything you could want but, alas, a lot of things you don't!

Bruce Page
01-25-2009, 4:12 PM
Thanks Frank! I can’t see the testing that I need to do taking more than a day or two but the people out there say it’ll take all week.:rolleyes: I plan on checking out as many of your suggestions as I can.
I’m staying at the Marriott in Ventura Beach.

Ben Rafael
01-25-2009, 7:15 PM
That's not far from Los Angeles; I hear there are a couple of things to see and do there.

Frank Hagan
01-26-2009, 1:54 AM
Great location, Bruce! The Marriott in Ventura is on Harbor Blvd, so you are very close to the harbor, Main Street, the pier and only a few miles from Emma Wood State Beach. Near the harbor there's also "Surfer's Point" where you can see surfers (they hit the beach at sunrise and there's usually someone there until nightfall.) Not very exciting if you've seen them before, but my cousins from Missouri could have stayed there all day watching them.

If you get day hours free, the mission in Ventura is interesting (its still a working Catholic church), and I've heard the Reagan Library, which has the Magna Charta on display right now, is worth a visit (they close at 5). Also, during the day, the Getty Museum is in LA; that's about a 60 mile drive from where you'll be, and possibly through the worst traffic in the world during rush hour (7 to 9 AM and then 3 to 7 PM). But if you can time your visit there, its spectacular (if you like art stuff). Parking used to be $5, but the museum is free.

Anthony Scira
01-26-2009, 5:18 PM
Just drive South on PCH and look for Neptunes Net. Lots of great seafood and beer with the best view.

http://www.neptunesnet.com/

And if your an fan of vintage warbirds check out the CAF
http://www.orgsites.com/ca/caf-socal/

Chris Padilla
01-26-2009, 5:23 PM
Go visit Mark Singer. He isn't too terribly far south of you at Laguna Beach. Well, in LA terms, he is quite far! :D

Frank Hagan
01-27-2009, 1:53 AM
Go visit Mark Singer. He isn't too terribly far south of you at Laguna Beach. Well, in LA terms, he is quite far! :D

In LA terms, that can be an impossible mission! Mid-day you are probably OK, but when we go down to my SIL house on Christmas Eve, we have to allow 5 hours transit time with the holiday traffic (and she lives in Newport, about 30 minutes away from Mark). So now we leave early in the morning, get to the Disneyland area and shop in Downtown Disney, and then head over to her house at 5 pm. Its still an all-day trip, but I'm in a much better mood.

Mark Singer
01-27-2009, 8:37 AM
Bruce,
I am about 2 1/2 hours away according to google maps. When are you going? Send me an email if you want to stop by....make a lil dust ... shavings maybe dovetail a rabbet:confused:

Bruce Page
01-27-2009, 11:46 PM
Aw man Mark! I’d love to meet you and see some of your great work but it looks like I'm going to finish up early tomorrow so I re-booked out on the 5:05 flight back to Albuquerque. (I didn’t see how it was going to take all week for what I needed to do)Frank, I did have the Halibut & chips at Andrias on Spinnaker Rd tonight, it was packed with locals – my kind of place, Thanks!

Ben Franz
01-28-2009, 1:18 AM
You may wanna rethink your quick return - it got cold here today and the wind tunnel is back in operation. Hide out at the beach:D

Frank Hagan
01-28-2009, 1:42 AM
Aw man Mark! I’d love to meet you and see some of your great work but it looks like I'm going to finish up early tomorrow so I re-booked out on the 5:05 flight back to Albuquerque. (I didn’t see how it was going to take all week for what I needed to do)Frank, I did have the Halibut & chips at Andrias on Spinnaker Rd tonight, it was packed with locals – my kind of place, Thanks!

Andria's is a great local hangout. Not fancy, but it does have good seafood.

Are you headed back out to LAX tomorrow? If you have some time on your way back tomorrow, you might try taking Hwy 1 south along the coast to go back to the airport. Its a much more scenic drive, and sometimes faster than going back on the 101 to the 405. From the NAS, you just head south on Hwy 1. When you get to Santa Monica, take Interstate 10 (there's only one direction you can go ... otherwise you end up on the pier!). Interstate 10 connects with Interstate 405, which you take South, toward LAX.

You'll pass some pretty coastline, and you'll recognize the road from TV commercials. You drive past Pepperdine and through Malibu and into Santa Monica (watch your speed; they mean 55 through here!). Its a nice change from the freeway through the San Fernando Valley.

The only time this isn't advisable is during summer or heavy rain, and it looks like we will have great weather tomorrow. Allow 1 1/2 hours transit time and you'll be OK.

Bruce Page
01-28-2009, 11:51 PM
Frank, I didn't see your post till now but I took the scenic Route both ways. I stopped and had lunch on the Santa Monica Pier that was, ahem, forgettable. :rolleyes:
I was pleased to see that the old Merry-Go-Round was still there, I loved that thing when I was a kid!

Frank Hagan
01-29-2009, 12:49 AM
Lunch in Santa Monica is always an iffy proposition! Malibu has some good spots, although I'm not down there that often (usually just driving through on the way to the airport).

Hope you enjoyed your trip (well, as much as you can enjoy a work trip).