PDA

View Full Version : Cherry Barrister Bookcase

Tim Malyszko
01-25-2009, 1:19 PM
I just completed this Barrister Bookcase this morning, made from cherry and cherry ply. Each bookcase measures approximately 11.5" deep, 14" tall and 32.5" wide. They are all modular, so they are easy to move and it gives me the ability to add a 4th one to the stack.

It is 5 seperate pieces - 3 bookcases, 1 stand and 1 top cap.

All the rails and stiles along with the base were made from solid cherry, with the rest being cherry ply. The handles were made from walnut, which accents it nicely.

The plan came from a 2008 Woodcraft Magazine. I've been wanted to build one for my office for some time and I liked the plan. The only thing I did different was use Dominos in place of many of the biscuits. Other than that, it's almost to spec of the plans.

The one thing I may change is actually add Barrister Bookcase Door Slides in place of the 1/4" brass pin/dado guide it uses now. If I don't move the door exactly straight when moving it in or out, the door will bind. I'm hoping this will go away after using it for a while, but if it doesn't I'm adding the door slides.

Enjoy.

Tim Malyszko
01-25-2009, 1:21 PM
Here are a few more pictures.

Also, I forgot to add that is was spray finished with 4 coats of Target USL Glossy Lacquer. I had a small issue with something contaminating the top layer, so I sanded it with 600 grit paper and applied 1 more coat, which smoothed everything out.

Dewey Torres
01-25-2009, 3:35 PM
The book case looks great and that glass you used REALLY sets it all off. Where did you get that? I don't remember that type of glass in the original plans.

Jason Tuinstra
01-25-2009, 3:50 PM
Tim, I too wanted to comment on the glass. It really adds a lot to the overall look of the piece. Very nice. Bummer on the binding, but is should loosen up after some use.

Gary Herrmann
01-25-2009, 4:17 PM
Beautiful job, Tim. And where did you get that glass? That really sets it off.

Tim Malyszko
01-25-2009, 6:05 PM
Thanks for all the comments. The glass came from Kirkwood Glass. I originally had some plain, tempered glass cut for it, but it looked too boring. I stopped by Kirkwood glass and loved this pattern. It was a little on the expensive side - $130 total for all 3 pieces, but was well worth it.

Jim Becker
01-25-2009, 7:12 PM
Wow...great cabinets and yea, that glass is very unique!

Tim Malyszko
02-09-2009, 3:54 PM
I had the camera out at work this afternoon, so I snapped a picture of the bookcase full and in place.

It took me all of about 20 minutes to fill this one up - looks like I'll be building another one in the near future.

By the way, the doors aren't binding up as much now that I've used the doors here and there for the last few weeks.